Texas Hunting Forum

Facebook and Instagram. Over?

Posted By: Texasbdog

Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/04/21 09:33 PM

There are some reports it’s gone. I really couldn’t care less but mine hasn’t updated for 7 hours. Y’all?
Posted By: Big_Country01

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/04/21 09:36 PM

Nah, they are just doing some fall cleaning!
Posted By: S.A. hunter

I told the wife I wouldn't mind if it never came back up.
Posted By: RedRanger

Not Gone, just covering up issues pointed out by the whistle blower
Posted By: reeltexan

Heard there were major problems with "social media" today.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/04/21 09:39 PM

They're currently down but I seriously doubt they're gone. A company that's worth almost a trillion dollars doesn't just up and go away.

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/04/21 09:39 PM

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog...book-and-instagram-would-be-gone-forever

Delete if not allowed

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/04/21 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die
They're currently down but I seriously doubt they're gone. A company that's worth almost a trillion dollars doesn't just up and go away.

I can totally see that rat Zuckerberg taking his ball and going home. Good riddance!
Posted By: MBradford

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/04/21 09:42 PM

Oh, the humanity!!! How will I let everyone know what I'm eating for dinner every night? roflmao roflmao roflmao
Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/04/21 09:46 PM

Its back
Posted By: Judd

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/04/21 09:48 PM

Amazing to me how many folks (not talking about this thread but the media) don't understand disaster recovery and back up processes in the software world.

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/04/21 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Judd
Amazing to me how many folks (not talking about this thread but the media) don't understand disaster recovery and back up processes in the software world.

Guilty.

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/04/21 09:54 PM

Facebook is back online
Posted By: texasag93

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/04/21 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by RedRanger
Facebook is back online

Too bad.
Posted By: Tin Head

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/04/21 10:03 PM

I would not doubt it and my first though as well. Second though is, why, no one is going to spank their hand anyways .

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/04/21 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Texasbdog
Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die

I can totally see that rat Zuckerberg taking his ball and going home. Good riddance!

hehe, if you think that moron owns the company then I got ocean front property to sell you . CIA op , and always has been .
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/04/21 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Texasbdog
There are some reports it’s gone. I really couldn’t care less but mine hasn’t updated for 7 hours. Y’all?

We couldn't be so lucky..................
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/04/21 10:08 PM

Still have mine but don't use it. They call me William.
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/04/21 10:10 PM

Pied Piper did some enhancements on their system.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/04/21 10:12 PM

I bet they got hacked.
Posted By: Texas452

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/04/21 10:14 PM

God, I hope it’s gone. There’s lots of other things that need to go too.
I never been on it and never will.
My wife is but she stays in Facebook jail. She’s a conservative like me.
Posted By: tlk

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/04/21 10:29 PM

even if facebook goes away something worse will fill in behind it trust me
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/04/21 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by MBradford
Oh, the humanity!!! How will I let everyone know what I'm eating for dinner every night? roflmao roflmao roflmao

Post it on the THF forum. clap
Posted By: nsmike

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/04/21 10:37 PM

They lost their authority level DNS permissions, in essence they were invisible, it affected their internal systems also.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/04/21 11:58 PM

Well, you know it doesn’t matter if they know it or not. It isn’t their job to report on what’s actually happening.
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/05/21 12:12 AM

I never thought about how much my business relies on them until I thought they were gone. Guess it’s time to build that website
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/05/21 12:12 AM

Selling your info…
Posted By: Judd

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/05/21 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by nsmike

They lost their authority level DNS permissions, in essence they were invisible, it affected their internal systems also.

That’s interesting…I heard (no validation because it’s not possible for me to care less than I do) someone deleted their base code.
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/05/21 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by TXGUNNER308
Selling your info…

Not quite right. They are selling you and how they may be able to influence you as a consumer.

It’s pretty obvious most of you don’t understand how FB works but think you do.

Who thinks they can explain it?
Posted By: 6InARowMakeItGo

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/05/21 12:40 AM

That’s too bad that hell hole came back online.

Fakebook is the debil
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/05/21 12:43 AM

I guess some of the Bleach spilled over to other parts of the server. Hillary taught them well.

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/05/21 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter
Selling your info…

Not quite right. They are selling you and how they may be able to influence you as a consumer.

Does this work for you? Conspiracy theory of course. rofl

DARPA LifeLog
The DARPA program was canceled on february 4th, 2004, after criticism from civil libertarians concerning the privacy implications of the system.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DARPA_LifeLog

Facebook
Founded in 2004 by Mark Zuckerberg. Founded February 4, 2004
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facebook

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/05/21 01:22 AM

didnt think folks were still falling for the old tricks. You really think 60 minutes had a legit whistleblower story? Its their set up..............I have some ocean front property to sell you.
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/05/21 01:30 AM

Selling your info…

Zero pfhucks given, IDC!
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/05/21 01:57 AM

Never had an account on either. THF is only social media I do.
Posted By: soooo

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/05/21 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Still have mine but don't use it. They call me William.

I have a Facebook friend named William Oxner.
Posted By: PappawRock

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/05/21 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by angus1956
Never had an account on either. THF is only social media I do.

That's me too '56 and you would think that with only one site to worry about I could string together something coherent once in a blue moon...

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/05/21 01:08 PM

I enjoy the market place and making phone calls internationally using FB, the connection is pretty darn solid.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/05/21 01:29 PM

Selling your info…

Yes I looked it up but I knew that it made its money off advertisers!

The Facebook business model is based on offering its tools and services mostly for free to billions of users and then making money by allowing businesses to show Facebook’s users advertising. Advertisers pay the price to Facebook that is determined in an auction, based on demand and supply.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/05/21 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Tin Head

DARPA LifeLog
The DARPA program was canceled on february 4th, 2004, after criticism from civil libertarians concerning the privacy implications of the system.

Facebook

The "whistle blower" that the media is promoting thinks it should be government controlled. Surprise. Full circle. DARPA knew no one would trust the government when they handed it over to Zuckerberg to create their fantasy story. Everyone like the boy genius story. Worked with Bill Gates.

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/05/21 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Stub
Selling your info…

The Facebook business model is based on offering its tools and services mostly for free to billions of users and then making money by allowing businesses to show Facebook’s users advertising. Advertisers pay the price to Facebook that is determined in an auction, based on demand and supply.

That's not quite right. It's not the complete picture. Facebook, Google, and others don't sell advertising exactly. What they sell is the proven capability to subtly manipulate a target audience to achieve a desired outcome. The effect is beyond what we think of as typical advertising. They didn't get as big as they are by selling clicks.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/05/21 07:49 PM

That's not quite right. It's not the complete picture. Facebook, Google, and others don't sell advertising exactly. What they sell is the proven capability to subtly manipulate a target audience to achieve a desired outcome. The effect is beyond what we think of as typical advertising. They didn't get as big as they are by selling clicks.

I'm not sure what "manipulating a target market" means... If you buy something from me, you were't necessarily intending to, does that mean I have manipulated you?

Google is the world's largest digital advertiser and generated $150B doing so, largely defined as pay per click and related ads. That revenue is generated whether the desired outcome, a sales transaction, happens or not. Been there done that, paid the bill. They absolutely got as big as they are selling clicks. I can't speak to FB.

Charlie
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/05/21 07:52 PM

I can't seem to get my MySpace account to work.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/05/21 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Stub
Selling your info…

Your argument is circular. But that’s your intent.

They are Data collection companies nothing more nothing less. They created a free platform for people to freely choose to release every intimate detail of their lives. Marking influence is just a byproduct of their collection ability. The sell advertising space, they sell influence, they sell marketing algorithms, they sell demographic information including(income, travel habits, political preferences/responses, etc). They even sell the ability to place you at the scene of the crime via your picture data.

Posted By: rickym

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/05/21 10:17 PM

I wish it was gone, would help bring some realistic mindsets back.

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/05/21 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by scottfromdallas

DARPA LifeLog

Facebook

The "whistle blower" that the media is promoting thinks it should be government controlled. Surprise. Full circle. DARPA knew no one would trust the government when they handed it over to Zuckerberg to create their fantasy story. Everyone like the boy genius story. Worked with Bill Gates.

up

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/05/21 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

They are Data collection companies nothing more nothing less. They created a free platform for people to freely choose to release every intimate detail of their lives. Marking influence is just a byproduct of their collection ability. The sell advertising space, they sell influence, they sell marketing algorithms, they sell demographic information including(income, travel habits, political preferences/responses, etc). They even sell the ability to place you at the scene of the crime via your picture data.

I agree. I thought how to put it more succinctly.

Social media like Facebook can manipulate your feed and content to influence you to do something. Usually it's to stay hooked. But another use is to manipulate you in a very subtle way to do something like buy a product.

I don't mean they are just going to manipulate Turkeyhunter's feed. They are going to manipulate my feed and content along with another couple of million that fall into the same profile. This is beyond jut click advertising.

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/06/21 01:25 AM

I agree. I thought how to put it more succinctly.

Social media like Facebook can manipulate your feed and content to influence you to do something. Usually it's to stay hooked. But another use is to manipulate you in a very subtle way to do something like buy a product.

I don't mean they are just going to manipulate Turkeyhunter's feed. They are going to manipulate my feed and content along with another couple of million that fall into the same profile. This is beyond jut click advertising.

Correct, it’s “part of” the platform designed to organize people and then solicit info to later regurgitate and hook a target audience. With that said that data isn’t just used for products advertising, and goes well beyond the platform. It’s goes all the way to social mandates, propaganda and manipulation.

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/06/21 02:56 AM

Fully agree Bobo. up

I’m not preaching against it but want people to understand it’s way more complex and deep than just add clicking and selling your information.

Another thing people may not realize is the depth of your online profile or footprint. For example, remember all those free quizzes about personality profile, history, sports knowledge and a variety of other subjects? Through the use of a tracking cookie, all that information and a lot you do becomes part of your online profile.

That doesn’t mean some person is studying Bobo for nefarious purposes. It means that now you likely fit into some target market groups where the holder of such data has a lot more information than in the past.

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/06/21 03:00 AM

if you want to see where this leads , then take a look at the current system in china....

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/06/21 03:10 AM

if you want to see where this leads , then take a look at the current system in china....

I have WeChat because of work. That app worries me.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/06/21 03:52 AM

We could all go back to smoke signals or maybe sending messages by drumbeats using Morse Code. Or snail mail.

I found a small German watchmaker's lathe that was missing a part. I emailed them on Friday, the last time I checked the part is now in the hands of Fedex in Dallas. I should get it tomorrow. Try that with yesterday's technology.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/06/21 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by dogcatcher
We could all go back to smoke signals or maybe sending messages by drumbeats using Morse Code. Or snail mail.

I found a small German watchmaker's lathe that was missing a part. I emailed them on Friday, the last time I checked the part is now in the hands of Fedex in Dallas. I should get it tomorrow. Try that with yesterday's technology.

It's pretty handy.
Posted By: soooo

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/06/21 11:44 AM

Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/06/21 12:34 PM

They lost ... DNS..., in essence they were invisible, it affected their internal systems also.

A BGP issue caused the DNS issue.

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/06/21 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mickey Moose
They lost ... DNS..., in essence they were invisible, it affected their internal systems also.

Dam network guys. I heard it was a Vxlan issue grin
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/06/21 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mickey Moose

Dam network guys. I heard it was a Vxlan issue grin

I heard it was an ID10t error…

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/06/21 10:47 PM

with yesterdays tech you would of made the part yourself. hammer
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/06/21 10:56 PM

I’m not at all convinced that those things wouldn’t be better.
Posted By: PappawRock

Re: Facebook and Instagram. Over? - 10/06/21 10:58 PM

It's ironic that stuff used to go by pony express and now Fedex charter will ship ponies...
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum