Texas Hunting Forum

How did you propose to your wife?

Posted By: Texas Dan

How did you propose to your wife? - 05/25/21 10:33 PM

I'll admit I did not make a big deal out of proposing to my wife of soon to be 39 years. Not too sure if it was because I was broke and still in college at the time, but it was more of a "So do you want to get married?" type moment. My wife has reminded me of it a time or two whenever we see someone proposing in a TV show or movie, but I can tell she's only ribbing me for it. Thankfully, I can say I've since taken her to some great places in and outside the US.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/25/21 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Texas Dan
I'll admit I did not make a big deal out of proposing to my wife of soon to be 39 years. Not too sure if it was because I was broke and still in college at the time, but it was more of a "So do you want to get married?" type moment. My wife has reminded me of it a time or two whenever we see someone proposing in a TV show or movie, but I can tell she's only ribbing me for it. Thankfully, I can say I've since taken her to some great places in and outside the US.

At 2am in the drive-thru at Taco Cabana. Window teller was the witness
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/25/21 10:42 PM

Waiter brought the ring under the dome serving tray. I got down on one knee. Compound Restaurant on Canyon Road in Santa Fe. No one even looked our way. Love the town, but the people are pretentious uber-liberals. 'Wish I owned the Subaru dealership there.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/25/21 10:46 PM

Over a spaghetti dinner she made. We were living in sin at the time.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/25/21 10:48 PM

Wife was the manager at Braums. Been dating for a few months. Walked in the place with flowers, handed the flowers to her then got down on one knee with a ring in hand and asked her for marriage. Shock all the customers and employees. Her also.
Been great every since.
Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/25/21 11:01 PM

I asked her if she wanted a car, or a ring...... I never really proposed.

That as romantic as I get.
Posted By: 6InARowMakeItGo

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/25/21 11:05 PM

I test drove mine 20yrs before we got married. Didn’t really need a proposal roflmao
Posted By: Superduty

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/25/21 11:05 PM

On one knee as she sat on my tailgate of my truck at the place we first met (a bar).
Posted By: titan2232

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/25/21 11:10 PM

At our family reunion. Told her the other day "you can get mad and leave me baby, but we'll always be family"
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/25/21 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85
At 2am in the drive-thru at Taco Cabana. Window teller was the witness

Our first date included dinner at McDonald's.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/25/21 11:26 PM

On one knee on the back porch of the house we thought we were going to buy. Ended up buying a different house.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/25/21 11:31 PM

She said ether you marry me or I'm leaving. I already loved her dearly.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/25/21 11:35 PM

Her- I'm pregnant

Me- I guess we should to get married whip
Posted By: LeonCarr

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/25/21 11:39 PM

Our first date was Wing Stop.
Our second date was the shooting range.
After getting her parents' blessing, I asked her to marry me on one knee in her living room.
This coming January will be 15 years.

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/25/21 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by NORML as can be
Her- I'm pregnant

Casanova had nothing on you!
Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/25/21 11:47 PM

Her- I'm pregnant

Lol, good man.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/25/21 11:48 PM

We were on the outs at the time.
I was miserable.

She was in OK City with relatives. Her mother called me and told me that if I ever wanted to marry her I’d better get up there with a ring.

I flew up there and proposed. She did not say yes, right away.

We got married in a little local church. The ladies there put it all together. Her Uncle officiated.
I was nervous as a cat, later came down with the flu. Only time I’ve ever had the flu.

That was 40 years ago. I wouldn’t trade a day.

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/25/21 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by S.A. hunter
Her- I'm pregnant

Lol, good man.

Bingo.
Posted By: Guy

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/25/21 11:59 PM

I did it under a lot of pressure I'll tell you that, very stressful, I was not ready to get married. And the best congratulations card I got from someone said "Ok, now that you are married, when are you going to have kids?" Some things you just don't forget, lol.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/26/21 12:04 AM

At the top of the temple at Chichen Itza.
Posted By: Tin Head

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/26/21 12:10 AM

I made it rain , with all five of them.
Posted By: Longhunter

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/26/21 12:16 AM

Valentine's night 1983, we were laying on a couch watching MTV at a friends house. She was stone sober and I was high on shrooms, and she said yes... I'm thankful she did! Everyone thought I got her pregnant, but our first was born in 1986.
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/26/21 12:16 AM

We were headed out to eat one evening and I had the ring in the glove box and no real plan, it was going to ask her that evening somehow. Half way through the hour drive on the way to eat she started emptying her purse and putting the contents in the glove box. She saw the little felt covered box and quickly grabbed it and opened it up. She smiled really big and said- I guess we’re getting married.

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/26/21 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by LonestarCobra
We were headed out to eat one evening and I had the ring in the glove box and no real plan, it was going to ask her that evening somehow. Half way through the hour drive on the way to eat she started emptying her purse and putting the contents in the glove box. She saw the little felt covered box and quickly grabbed it and opened it up. She smiled really big and said- I guess we’re getting married.

Accident?
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/26/21 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Tin Head
I made it rain , with all five of them.

[Linked Image]

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/26/21 12:50 AM

You proposed twice?
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/26/21 12:54 AM

Hid the ring in a bag of Whataburger taquitos, we knew we wanted to marry each other. So I didn’t want to do something that she would pick up on the scent of what I was doing.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/26/21 01:00 AM

I try to let my mistakes stay in the past where they belong, and not think about them. roflmao
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/26/21 01:06 AM

While having breakfast tacos at her apartment one Saturday morning. I was nervous as heck.
Posted By: Payne

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/26/21 01:19 AM

roflmao Longhunter
Posted By: pdr55

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/26/21 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by titan2232
At our family reunion. Told her the other day "you can get mad and leave me baby, but we'll always be family"

OMG!!! LMFAO !!!
Just how deep in East Texas were y’all raised ?
Posted By: fishmorethanhunt

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/26/21 01:27 AM

Had the wedding ring built already with the help of my fil. Went out to her parents ranch, and proposed in the living room on one knee and she said

Absolutely yes!!
Posted By: TCM3

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/26/21 01:32 AM

eeks333
Posted By: 603Country

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/26/21 01:46 AM

The adorable little redhead was very popular. I was afraid that if I didn’t marry her, someone else might. I thought she’d marry me if I asked, but like you guys know...ya never really know. We were standing in her family’s carport, next to her Dad’s green Oldsmobile, and I asked her and she said yes.

53 years so far.
Posted By: Sailor

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/26/21 01:47 AM

Get in the truck, bitch........... smile ani
Posted By: Tommar

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/26/21 01:59 AM

Sat her and her two daughters on the floor in front of the fireplace on Christmas night with glasses of Gluhwein and asked them all in their own way to marry me.

One daughter immediately started happy crying and the other was saying yes yes yes. The wife was looking at those two thinking,” What the hell is wrong with you two” until she finally saw the ring.
Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/26/21 02:19 AM

Long walk on the beach at SPI. I got down on one knee and asked her without a ring and told her “I’ll Get you one soon”. I’ve never seen such a look of disappointment on someone’s face. She almost said “wtf”, but stopped mid sentence and said “oh oh ok” hesitantly. That ring cost me a Cesar Guerini and Blaser R8. Still haven’t replaced them lol. It’s not always beautiful but it’s been a beautiful ride
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/26/21 02:32 AM

I proposed 30 years ago this month, and approaching our 29th anniversary. I made lamb chops and pasta, bought a nice bottle of wine, and had the ring hidden in the kitchen and brought it out with dessert. We had dated for about a year by that point and i was pretty sure she would say yes, but you never know til you know.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/26/21 02:41 AM

Raymond Rimkus Park, Leon Valley, Texas, 1986.
We were having a picnic and talking of how cool it would be to be together forever.
So I said, "you wanna get married. She said, "sure"
The ring came later.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/26/21 02:48 AM

Magiannos on the tollway on her birthday with my parents and her parents there and I paid. My truck had 600 miles on it the celina hail storm of 2011 busted it. Never fixed the hail and still have both the wife and the truck.
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/26/21 03:14 AM

Took her to Keller’s on North West Hwy. She ordered a number five special and a Michelob beer in the bottle. I asked her right then and there. No ring at the time. I tore off a piece of duct tape and put that on her finger after she said hell yes. Took her to the JP in Texarkana ( long story ). Here we are 28 years later.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/26/21 03:46 AM

Are your kids eyes really close together? roflmao

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/26/21 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by bill oxner
She said ether you marry me or I'm leaving. I already loved her dearly.

Ditto - Wifeypoo made me marry her. Originally scheduled an October date which made me thinking I would have one last summer of freedom & frivolity @ SWTSU, but oh well, it got moved up to 39 years ago from this coming Saturday. She is a really good 1st wife. The patience that woman displays is remarkable.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/26/21 11:14 AM

Which time?

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/26/21 11:29 AM

Great movie Doc. cheers
Posted By: don k

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/26/21 11:34 AM

Same here. Wife said we were getting married. That was 54 years ago. Never regretted it.
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/26/21 11:58 AM

Biden’s eyes are close together. His dad is also his brother.
Posted By: Superduty

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/26/21 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by DocHorton

[Linked Image]

What does a teenage photo of Biden have to do with this?
Posted By: titan2232

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/26/21 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by DocHorton

[Linked Image]

LOL. We must be fairly distant cousins because none of our kids have webbed feet lol35
Posted By: redchevy

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/26/21 01:04 PM

Asked mine at the classic spot on the A&M campus. It didn't really matter to me but she was all into the A&M stuff. Asked her daddy for the blessing. The day of we had to walk to the spot, we were in town for a family members graduation. I couldn't convince her to go for a walk, she said it was hot she wanted to relax etc. My mom knew the plan and told her oh sweetheart I really think you should go lol. She was surprised and swears she is glad she went for that walk, but im sure ive made her regret it a few times over the years. Will be 9 years for us in a few months.
Posted By: Teal28

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/26/21 01:12 PM

On the Beach in Jamaica after dinner almost 18 years ago. She said yes. Then she dropped the ring in the sand. We spent over an hour looking for it while she cried and apologized. I still remind her of it from time to time.
Posted By: goosebuster

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/26/21 01:19 PM

Got down on a knee at a fancy restaurant in Houston. I was nervous AF, but I am pretty sure she knew what was up. The people around us were shocked and then started clapping when she said yes. We just had 10 years back in April.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/26/21 01:30 PM

I pulled my truck over on South Chadbourne Street in San Angelo, got out and walked to her side and proposed. I'm still glad I didn't get run over.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/26/21 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Choctaw
I pulled my truck over on South Chadbourne Street in San Angelo, got out and walked to her side and proposed. I'm still glad I didn't get run over.

Now that’s funny!
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/26/21 01:43 PM

I didn't propose, I was told I was getting married on a certain date and that was it.
Posted By: Ben Kabisch

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/26/21 01:56 PM

My proposal was SUPPOSED to happen at the top of the mountain on our ski trip to Crested Butte, Colorado, but i had bought the ring about 2 months earlier and was getting more nervous by the day...so I proposed on 1 knee in the living room of my apartment about a week before we left (she knew something was going on). She said yes and we have been married 22 years this July!
Posted By: LeonCarr

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/26/21 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy
Asked mine at the classic spot on the A&M campus. It didn't really matter to me but she was all into the A&M stuff. Asked her daddy for the blessing. The day of we had to walk to the spot, we were in town for a family members graduation. I couldn't convince her to go for a walk, she said it was hot she wanted to relax etc. My mom knew the plan and told her oh sweetheart I really think you should go lol. She was surprised and swears she is glad she went for that walk, but im sure ive made her regret it a few times over the years. Will be 9 years for us in a few months.

Under the Century Oak?

Nice
Posted By: FamousAmos

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/26/21 11:12 PM

Neither my wife nor I remember a proposal. My wife claims she does not care saying it was just assumed we were getting married. I think I blew it. However, we have been married for 43 years.
Posted By: luv2brode

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/27/21 02:03 AM

Flew from Alaska to Florida to be with her and proposed the night I got there

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/27/21 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by luv2brode
Flew from Alaska to Florida to be with her and proposed the night I got there

Dang overachiever. realmad
Posted By: TKM

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/27/21 02:37 AM

Had mine in training for 10 years, one day she told me we are getting hitched in a couple months. Been together over 20 years. Strange how we ended up together, she doesn't like me to talk about taking critters when i hunt, had never shot a gun, etc. She is a little gal, 5ft and 98 lbs on a good day so took her out to the range and let her shoot a little KelTec that fit her hands. After going over how to grip it, she hit the ground in front of a paper target at 10 yards (red flag on wifey material). She wasn't impressed, talked her into shooting my XDM 9. She was afraid it would hurt her but she did it anyway. First shot as pretty good, then to my surprise she cranked off the next 19 rounds, looked me smiling and ask if i had any more ammo! Heck yes i said! When we got in the truck to leave she said the XDM was hers and for me to get myself another gun .............. (erase previous red flag).
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/27/21 02:38 AM

I proposed in her living room
Posted By: Texas452

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/27/21 11:31 AM

I took her home from a date and in her front yard I told her I was planning on marrying her one of these days
She went and told her mama I ask her to marry me. I just left it at that and bought the rings.
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/27/21 12:12 PM

Both of us were divorced, me with no kids, her with twin 3 year old boys. We had put the boys in their beds and were sitting on the couch watching TV. I just looked her in the eyes and asker her to marry me and she said yes. Dang them little ears can hear well and I got hugs from two little guys a few seconds later. We have a daughter together and 3 grandchildren with possibly more on the way. We are working on 31 years, so I guess we are doing lots of things right.
Posted By: Pootie

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/27/21 12:38 PM

At a 4 way stop. Didn't take long. Some said it wouldn't last - too young (19 & 18). 49 years ago... we'll see.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/27/21 02:54 PM

She asked me at work. We were both school teachers and she asked me during passing period. Don't know if I said anything.
I just hugged her tight and we went back to our classes and started teaching again. Going on 44 years now. I do love that woman.
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/27/21 03:18 PM

Ring was under the cover of the dessert tray after dinner at the Sand Plum Restaurant in Guthrie, Oklahoma. 33+ years ago now - outlasted the restaurant.
Posted By: TheMic

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/27/21 11:28 PM

I did it at the top of a mountain in Colorado while snowboarding. Hurts falling on a ring and box all day, but finally made an opportunity. She said yay, but I’ll take it! Going on 3.5 years and a little one so far.

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/27/21 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by TheMic
I did it at the top of a mountain in Colorado while snowboarding. Hurts falling on a ring and box all day, but finally made an opportunity. She said yay, but I’ll take it! Going on 3.5 years and a little one so far.

Congratulations. cheers
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/28/21 12:11 AM

Duck hunting. Was a good mallard shoot.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/28/21 12:33 AM

Our second date and I told her I was looking for a wife and not a girlfriend. She said "you just asked me to marry you" to which I replied, no, I was just sayin'. She said ok, when should we get married? I guess pretty soon was my response. And so it was not long after it was done. She waited 47 years and had never been with a man in that way so God figured she was ready. She is a good woman and I keep her safe from harm.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/28/21 01:05 AM

Which wife?
Posted By: Black Duck Dog

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/28/21 02:26 AM

Marriage just screws up a damn good relationship,!
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/28/21 04:54 AM

I kept a wooden box on my nightstand. It was full of coins. When I was dating my wife I told her not to ever touch that box. I only told her that to mess with her, and it worked. She was confused by it and wondered what the hell could be in it. Apparently, she never did pull the lid off. Once she told me that she was pregnant, and I felt obligated, I bought a ring. I stashed it in the box. Next time she was over, I told her she could now see what was inside the box. She wasn’t too sure about it, but did open it and found the ring. I said something about getting married since we’d skipped a step in the whole family process thing, and she kind of said yes. Then she backed out. Then she committed. We’ve been married 13 or 14 years, since, and we still hate each other. I realize most of y’all won’t believe it, but I’m a bit of a romantic.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/28/21 05:46 AM

I took her to Texas de Brazil and had the waitress put the ring on the desert tray. She said yes, but here's the funny part of the story. A week earlier, when the ring was ready, the jewelry shop had called her number thinking it was my number. We had been ring shopping together, so it wasn't a total surprise, but I hadn't told her that I already ordered it. We're headed to Fredericksburg next weekend to celebrate our 2nd anniversary.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/28/21 11:06 AM

Sneaky a romantic? Whuda thought?
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/28/21 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I kept a wooden box on my nightstand. It was full of coins. When I was dating my wife I told her not to ever touch that box. I only told her that to mess with her, and it worked. She was confused by it and wondered what the hell could be in it. Apparently, she never did pull the lid off. Once she told me that she was pregnant, and I felt obligated, I bought a ring. I stashed it in the box. Next time she was over, I told her she could now see what was inside the box. She wasn’t too sure about it, but did open it and found the ring. I said something about getting married since we’d skipped a step in the whole family process thing, and she kind of said yes. Then she backed out. Then she committed. We’ve been married 13 or 14 years, since, and we still hate each other. I realize most of y’all won’t believe it, but I’m a bit of a romantic.

Well Sneaky, she just wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic or not.
Posted By: Stub

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/28/21 01:24 PM

We had been living together for over a year and one Saturday after we both had a couple of beers I cornered her in the bedroom grin and popped the question.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: How did you propose to your wife? - 05/28/21 01:48 PM

Wife was a stewardess and coming in from a trip. She was supposed to be at my house after midnight. A buddy called and said he was intown and wanted to go fishing. He and I finished off a bottle of scotch that evening and I decided it was a good idea for me to marry the stewardess. I asked her to marry me when she she showed up at midnight. She thought I was just drunk. I told her the next morning I was serious and we married a few weeks later. Still together 15 years and two kids later.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum