Texas Hunting Forum

Snack Sticks Recommendation

Posted By: TLew

Snack Sticks Recommendation - 05/05/21 02:28 PM

So I had a processor make me some venison snack sticks from my buck last year, and they are downright awful. Seems like there is zero fat added, and it's akin to leather. That's leaving me in a hole for this year because i love me some snack sticks. Does anyone have a place they order (not process) from for elk/venison/bison snack sticks? For comparison on what I like/prefer, the snack sticks from Scheels are great. If you process at cinnamon creek then you can use that as a comparison.

In the off chance that someone likes the leathery kind, I have a bunch that are yours if you come pick them up.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Snack Sticks Recommendation - 05/05/21 02:32 PM

I get mine done at Arnold's in Hempstead, the jalapeno with pepper jack cheese are really good. My wifes cousin drives from Austin to get deer processed there now because of the buck sticks. Then a buddy of mine is going to consider taking a deer next year there and he lives in Livingston.

He also packages them in small portions opposed to the large sack some do them in.

Re: Snack Sticks Recommendation - 05/05/21 02:40 PM

Thanks Herbie. Just to clarify, I'm not looking for a processor. I'm looking for someone who sells sticks. I've learned my lesson, and I'll take meat to Cinnamon Creek for snack sticks when I shoot a doe this year
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Snack Sticks Recommendation - 05/05/21 02:43 PM

Give them a call, they might have some made up. He keeps some stuff on hand, never hurts to make a 1 minute phone call.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Snack Sticks Recommendation - 05/05/21 03:16 PM

https://epicprovisions.com/
grill
Posted By: Gravytrain

Re: Snack Sticks Recommendation - 05/05/21 03:16 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if the good ones have other animal fats mixed in like beef fat at a minimum.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Snack Sticks Recommendation - 05/05/21 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Gravytrain
I wouldn't be surprised if the good ones have other animal fats mixed in like beef fat at a minimum.

I make my own using 50% deer and 50% wild pig. I make sure to use a lot of the fattiest parts of the pig for sausage.
Posted By: John2

Re: Snack Sticks Recommendation - 05/05/21 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by TLew
I'm looking for someone who sells sticks. I've learned my lesson,

You live near or want to drive to Royce City ?.
Posted By: BAYSPORT

Re: Snack Sticks Recommendation - 05/05/21 03:24 PM

Give JRs Smokehouse in Wharton a call. They also have a website

Re: Snack Sticks Recommendation - 05/05/21 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Originally Posted by Gravytrain

I make my own using 50% deer and 50% wild pig. I make sure to use a lot of the fattiest parts of the pig for sausage.

Bingo. You have to mix fat in otherwise they are like what I have in my freezer. This is 100% the way to go, either feral or domesticated hogs give the best fat content, taste, and texture.

Originally Posted by John2
Originally Posted by TLew
I'm looking for someone who sells sticks. I've learned my lesson,

You live near or want to drive to Royce City ?.

I'm a good 60-90 minutes from you, but I'd be willing to drive. Let me know what I'm driving for and I can confirm/deny
Posted By: ralph

Re: Snack Sticks Recommendation - 05/05/21 04:12 PM

For anyone wondering The EPIC bars are excellent. Good taste and texture. I never heard of them before but a food pantry where I volunteer got 6 or 8 cases of beef bars donated. Nobody had seen them before so we tried one (to be able to tell clients how they tasted ) and found it to be really good.

Re: Snack Sticks Recommendation - 05/05/21 04:24 PM

TLew, I have bought each one of these and really enjoy the heck out of them.

SNACK EMS Sold at $12.99 per pound
HOT STICKS Sold at $14.99 per pound,spicy
Jalapeno Cheese Summer Sausage
Elk Jalapeno Cheese Summer Sausage
Cranberry Summer Sausage

Posted By: N.Tx

Re: Snack Sticks Recommendation - 05/05/21 04:25 PM

I have mine processed at Bluebonnet Meat Company in Trenton and they're great. Call ahead, they typically always have some for sale and in stock.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Snack Sticks Recommendation - 05/05/21 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by BAYSPORT
Give JRs Smokehouse in Wharton a call. They also have a website

Stopped there several times after fishing at POC.

Re: Snack Sticks Recommendation - 05/05/21 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by John2
TLew, I have bought each one of these and really enjoy the heck out of them.

SNACK EMS Sold at $12.99 per pound
HOT STICKS Sold at $14.99 per pound,spicy
Jalapeno Cheese Summer Sausage
Elk Jalapeno Cheese Summer Sausage
Cranberry Summer Sausage

https://butchermansgourmet.com/menu

Those look good. I'm probably being too particular, but are those beef or wild game?
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Snack Sticks Recommendation - 05/05/21 04:49 PM

Recommend Dan's Smokehouse in Weatherford. But it is all beef however.

Re: Snack Sticks Recommendation - 05/05/21 04:55 PM

Butcherman's Snack Ems,Gourmet Sausage very own crafted jerky,! .. Hotsticks,Butcherman's Gourmet Sausage very own spicy bold crafted jerky!... Elk jalapeno cheese sausage.
Posted By: glens

Re: Snack Sticks Recommendation - 05/06/21 12:55 PM

Started buying online from Tillamook Company (Amazon) . That is the best and easiest to chew I've ever had. All kinds of flavors. Don't know and will have to check if they process wild game.
Posted By: pdr55

Re: Snack Sticks Recommendation - 05/06/21 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by glens
Started buying online from Tillamook Company (Amazon) . That is the best and easiest to chew I've ever had. All kinds of flavors. Don't know and will have to check if they process wild game.

Gonna have to check this out.
I really like their cheese.
Posted By: SherpaPhil

Re: Snack Sticks Recommendation - 05/06/21 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by pdr55

Gonna have to check this out.
I really like their cheese.

It's not the same company. They sell the sticks at Costco, and I picked them up because I like Tillamook cheese, too. Reading the bag at home, I realized the company was Tillamook Country Smoker vs. Tillamook County Creamery Association, who makes the cheese. Glens is right, they are very good meat sticks, but as far as I can tell, don't have anything to do with the cheese company, other than being located in the same county.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Snack Sticks Recommendation - 05/06/21 02:00 PM

Venison Slim Jims

They have some made for sale.

They have been making mine for about 10 years. Everyone I have shared them with enjoyed them.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Snack Sticks Recommendation - 05/06/21 04:16 PM

Used to be a guy here in Abilene that distributed Tillamook to Convenience stores all over west Texas. I got hooked on them back then, about once a week I would go by his lace and pick up a jar of the sticks to snack on. Still pick up a few every so often. They are fattening if you pig out on them.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum