Texas Hunting Forum

Best Rye Grass?

Posted By: BigPig

Best Rye Grass? - 10/19/20 09:28 PM

It’s been a long time since I’ve put down rye grass for the winter. I’m in the mood to do it this year. The stuff I used in the past required weekly mowings, which sucks in the cold because so hate any weather below 95. My local SiteOne has some nice rye that only requires mowing every 4-6 weeks, but it’s $500 just to do the front yard and would be $1,500 for the entire acre.

Where the in between?
Posted By: erathar

Re: Best Rye Grass? - 10/19/20 11:10 PM

Do you know what type the expensive stuff is?

Re: Best Rye Grass? - 10/19/20 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by erathar
Do you know what type the expensive stuff is?

It’s $180 a bag and optimally cover 5,000-7,500 square feet.
https://www.siteone.com/en/29-508-55-lesco-allsport-5-perennial-ryegrass-seed-50-lb/p/523207
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Best Rye Grass? - 10/19/20 11:21 PM

Oregon brand. I've gotten it at TSC. Some feed stores too. About $50 for a 50lb bag. Great germination rate and It must reseed because its in my yard this year. Call around.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Best Rye Grass? - 10/19/20 11:25 PM

Just found it @ Atwoods. $29.95 for 50lbs.
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Best Rye Grass? - 10/20/20 12:14 AM

Sorry Pig, I hate rye. You can’t walk on it without sinking in the mud.

Every time I try, I just end up pizzed off.
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: Best Rye Grass? - 10/20/20 12:18 AM

I get the perennial rye at our local feed store, it’s $75 per 50 lb bag and I use 4 bags on our yard, 44,600 sqft. We mow it about once a month at the most.

Re: Best Rye Grass? - 10/20/20 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Erathkid
Oregon brand. I've gotten it at TSC. Some feed stores too. About $50 for a 50lb bag. Great germination rate and It must reseed because its in my yard this year. Call around.

That’s what I’ve used in the past and had to mow all the time.

Re: Best Rye Grass? - 10/20/20 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by Bullfrog
Sorry Pig, I hate rye. You can’t walk on it without sinking in the mud.

Every time I try, I just end up pizzed off.

You know my yard is always muddy. I’m trying to prevent the dogs from tracking in so much mud
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Best Rye Grass? - 10/20/20 01:18 AM

I'd go with Egyptian wheat. Broad cast about 75lb to acre.......

Much prettier leaf. Slower growing, stays real short, Best stuff ever....

Re: Best Rye Grass? - 10/20/20 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

I can tell that I need to make a pass by your Huss with 10 pounds of wild flower seeds
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Best Rye Grass? - 10/20/20 01:48 AM

Don’t do it.
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Best Rye Grass? - 10/20/20 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by BigPig

I can tell that I need to make a pass by your Huss with 10 pounds of wild flower seeds

Leave all electronics in the truck roflmao
Posted By: Paluxy

Re: Best Rye Grass? - 10/20/20 02:18 AM

grin
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Best Rye Grass? - 10/20/20 03:58 AM

You are an idiot stimpy. It is rye grass, you have to mow it. Mine should be down this week. Water, fertilize and mow. That is just how the winter go.

Re: Best Rye Grass? - 10/20/20 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by 2Beez
You are an idiot stimpy. It is rye grass, you have to mow it. Mine should be down this week. Water, fertilize and mow. That is just how the winter go.

This is cute coming from the guy that can’t pull start a mower so he hires it out.
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Best Rye Grass? - 10/20/20 02:35 PM

There are a few cool season grasses that are low growing.
LowBoy ryegrass
Dwarf ryegrass like Axcella 2 or Panterra
Fescue JRK 4 mostly fescue’s with 10 - 15 % ryegrass mix.
Fairway blends like used on golf courses, usually a mix of fescues & bluegrass’s, some do use a % of a low growing ryegrass.

Generally speaking Kentucky blue grass and its hybrids, tall turf type fescue’s and its hybrids, rye grasses and its hybrids are about it considering N Tx / DFW area is in the climate transition zone for cool season grasses.
The best success will likely be with a ryegrass hybrid, wouldn't hurt to try a cool season fairway blend.

Tx bluegrass is not traffic tolerant a dog will beat it to death, planting only turf type fescue’s can brown out at low temps & can persist during summer.

All grasses will need to be mowed.

If you can deal with the work might try the used artificial grass like used on football fields, make a dog pen as large as you want & cover it with used artificial turf.
Have fun removing & disposing of it.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Best Rye Grass? - 10/20/20 03:19 PM

Think of how much money it would save you in a security system alone, can't rob it if you can't find it roflmao
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Best Rye Grass? - 10/20/20 03:30 PM

Yellow jackets are attracted to rye grass.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Best Rye Grass? - 10/20/20 03:43 PM

It’s been a long time since I’ve put down rye grass for the winter. I’m in the mood to do it this year. The stuff I used in the past required weekly mowings, which sucks in the cold because so hate any weather below 95. My local SiteOne has some nice rye that only requires mowing every 4-6 weeks, but it’s $500 just to do the front yard and would be $1,500 for the entire acre.

Where the in between?

Do you enjoy mowing? If so do I have a deal for you!
Posted By: Derek

Re: Best Rye Grass? - 10/20/20 03:44 PM

I would go with Champion GQ.
Posted By: Western

Re: Best Rye Grass? - 10/20/20 05:01 PM

Jones's move in next door?

Re: Best Rye Grass? - 10/20/20 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Western
Jones's move in next door?

I wish, I would’ve sold them this place. Mainly trying to prevent erosion and keep the inside of the house clean from the dogs tracking in mud
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: Best Rye Grass? - 10/20/20 09:51 PM

Maybe Spackler?

Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: Best Rye Grass? - 10/21/20 03:06 AM

I used Endura 2000 from BWI. MY Backyard is a little less than 2k sf, 50lbs last 3-4 years for me. I usually mow once a week when warm, maybe 2x a month when it stays cool.

Best advise...... stay away from annual rye
Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Re: Best Rye Grass? - 10/21/20 03:32 AM

Annual grows faster than perennial. Perennial isn't perennial in Texas, can't survive the summer. Perennial is better to hold up to dog traffic as well. You can buy the fancy blends and all that if you want, but regular old perennial seed from the feed store will do you just as well.

If you're trying to establish bermuda it'll have a harder time coming out of dormancy in the spring if it has to fight the rye to get started.

Re: Best Rye Grass? - 10/21/20 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Shotgun Willie
Annual grows faster than perennial. Perennial isn't perennial in Texas, can't survive the summer. Perennial is better to hold up to dog traffic as well. You can buy the fancy blends and all that if you want, but regular old perennial seed from the feed store will do you just as well.

If you're trying to establish bermuda it'll have a harder time coming out of dormancy in the spring if it has to fight the rye to get started.

It will be killed next year and sodded over. Was hoping to get that done this year but didn’t make it and don’t want to fight erosion and mud.

Re: Best Rye Grass? - 10/21/20 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by hoof n wings
I used Endura 2000 from BWI. MY Backyard is a little less than 2k sf, 50lbs last 3-4 years for me. I usually mow once a week when warm, maybe 2x a month when it stays cool.

Best advise...... stay away from annual rye

All rye’s in Texas are annuals, even the perennials are annuals in Texas due to our summers.
Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Re: Best Rye Grass? - 10/21/20 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Shotgun Willie

It will be killed next year and sodded over. Was hoping to get that done this year but didn’t make it and don’t want to fight erosion and mud.

Then you'll be good with any old feed store perennial. I did that for years with my dogs, switching from annual to perennial saved my sanity. F a bunch of mowing in 30° weather. Finally gave it up when I leveled my yard and didn't want to have a battle every spring when the bermuda couldn't come out of dormancy. If you're going to kill it off anyways, you'll be good to go.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Best Rye Grass? - 10/21/20 11:21 PM

Perennial rye is expensive but grows slow and green. Should have been put down 3 weeks ago though or you are wasting your $$. It is high in Nitrogen and a great soil amendment if you mulch it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum