Texas Hunting Forum

Bullet Proof Water Piping

Posted By: titan2232

Bullet Proof Water Piping - 09/28/20 08:25 PM

Will be replacing all the deer lease cabin plumbing next weekend and looking for something that won't bust during a freeze. My low point drain is useless when people forget to drain the water before they leave

Not looking to spend a fortune and I'm not doing PVC again. Would polyethylene hose/tubing work without busting during a freeze and also be UV resistant? Already have several compression fittings that would work for PE pipe.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Bullet Proof Water Piping - 09/28/20 08:33 PM

Ain't nothing going to be bullet proof that I can think of. Does it have electricity that stays on year round? I'd leave a couple heaters on a thermo cube and keep the building temp above 40 degrees.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/TC-3-Col...?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0
Posted By: Jon

Re: Bullet Proof Water Piping - 09/28/20 08:49 PM

PEX tubing is claimed to withstand freezing. Not sure about the valves and fittings that would be used with it. Some PEX is definitely not UV resistant.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Bullet Proof Water Piping - 09/28/20 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jon
PEX tubing is claimed to withstand freezing. Not sure about the valves and fittings that would be used with it. Some PEX is definitely not UV resistant.

Bingo.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Bullet Proof Water Piping - 09/28/20 09:05 PM

Yep, PEX. We had huge issues at our lease in west Texas until we replumbed everything in PEX. The lines will still freeze, they just don't bust. I don't think it's UV stable, so anything in direct sunlight would need to be covered with something.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Bullet Proof Water Piping - 09/28/20 09:18 PM

PEX is freeze resistant, the water will still freeze, but the chance if the pipe bursting is a lot less. It is worth the extra cost to re pipe with PEX. It is EASIER to work with.
Posted By: nak

Re: Bullet Proof Water Piping - 09/28/20 09:51 PM

PEX...plus for the kitchen sink and bathroom sink, we dropped the drains all the way to the ground under the cabin, so the P-trap is buried.

We still try to remember to turn off the water and open the drain valve, so when we show up on a cold day, we can have water. We have a 60 watt bulb mounted low, behind the toilet. That has been enough to keep it freezing.

Learned to not leave canned [censored] in the cabin...we had several bust a couple of years ago and it really stunk up the place before we were there next.
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Bullet Proof Water Piping - 09/28/20 10:24 PM

Ice is stronger than any pipe can be if you ask me. Insulate the pizz out of whatever you use.
Posted By: samsamthemex

Re: Bullet Proof Water Piping - 09/28/20 11:18 PM

If you go with pex use the brass fitting not the plastic fitting.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Bullet Proof Water Piping - 09/28/20 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jon

I watched a freeze test on copper, sodered, glued, pex, pvc and shark bite etc. PVC actually won. Who knows what’s really the best
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Bullet Proof Water Piping - 09/29/20 01:29 AM

May not be an option, I don't know, but on end/low end run of my septic system (aerobic spray-head type system) I have a drain fitting that closes when there is water pressure allowing the spray heads to work, but when the pressure is off it opens allowing the line to drain so it won't freeze. Maybe replace your low-end hose bib with one of these that's automatic? It didn't cost much at all, I think I got it at a box store. Best of luck, sir.
Posted By: topwater13

Re: Bullet Proof Water Piping - 09/29/20 03:10 AM

Pex is not UV resistant. Rated for less than 30 days in the sun.
The poly fittings actually fair better when froze without breaking....brass will split quick.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Bullet Proof Water Piping - 09/29/20 03:35 AM

I wouldn’t run pex above ground where your at, you’ll fight the dry heat and sun as much as freezing pvc.

I think you make other people pay when they screw up and forget, and keep plenty of spare parts there.

Re: Bullet Proof Water Piping - 09/29/20 11:37 AM

This is the Polyethylene pipe I was referring to. It's basically pex, but UV proof no? Also known as "trailer park pipe" as it's was once used under older trailer homes.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Bullet Proof Water Piping - 09/29/20 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by titan2232
My friends are useless when they forget to drain the water with the low point drain before they leave

FIFY
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Bullet Proof Water Piping - 09/29/20 01:52 PM

I have an outdoor sink in a fish scaling table. In past years, I’d often forget to drain the water line when temps were going to drop into the 20’s, and the plastic sink fixture would crack. I’d have to replace the fixture. But, the last time I replaced the fixture, I bought one with a long pex-like hose that connected directly to the sink nozzle from the water pipe. That was 6 or 8 years ago, and it freezes but apparently expands and has never broken. I’d like to say that I bought that because I was smart, but I’d be lying. Lucky beats smart.
Posted By: samsamthemex

Re: Bullet Proof Water Piping - 09/29/20 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by topwater13
Pex is not UV resistant. Rated for less than 30 days in the sun.
The poly fittings actually fair better when froze without breaking....brass will split quick.

The plastic ones I install are really thin. The brass fitting I use on a daily basis is thick brass. We do houses and commercial places with pex, of course we insulate it in the outside walls which helps from freezing. The pen will stretch before the brass splits. Of course you can and do get bad fitting every now and then. I just did a long gas line and had a tee in the middle of the line with a pin hole leak.
Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Re: Bullet Proof Water Piping - 09/29/20 07:55 PM

I've got PEX at my place and still end up splicing a split pipe every other year or so. Can't see as it's all that much better against freezing as PVC when you still have to insulate it.

Go with what's cheap, insulate it well, then turn off the water and lock the valve. Tell your friends they can use the water when they can be more responsible.

Re: Bullet Proof Water Piping - 09/30/20 02:10 PM

I've decided on 3/4" copper tubing with industrial compression fittings. Should be the last fix
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Bullet Proof Water Piping - 09/30/20 02:40 PM

I've decided on 3/4" copper tubing with industrial compression fittings. Should be the last fix

It will freeze and leak too! I know for a fact that it will NOT be your last fix. Good luck!
Posted By: Tbar

Re: Bullet Proof Water Piping - 09/30/20 02:40 PM

Not to hijack this thread but have rodents ever chewed through the Pex water tubing?

Re: Bullet Proof Water Piping - 09/30/20 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by TXGUNNER308

It will freeze and leak too! I know for a fact that it will NOT be your last fix. Good luck!

This is not the cheap tubing from Home Depot and I've seen it in action in several refineries for the past 23 years. It'll outlast our deer lease arrangement I'm certain
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Bullet Proof Water Piping - 09/30/20 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Tbar
Not to hijack this thread but have rodents ever chewed through the Pex water tubing?

Yes, rodents can & will chew pex.
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Bullet Proof Water Piping - 09/30/20 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Rustler
Originally Posted by Tbar

Yes, rodents can & will chew pex.

Rodents will chew through freakin anything.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum