Unemployment soaring
Stimulus soaring
Printing machines at full tilt.

Som Ting Wong yingyang

[Linked Image]

lol35
Posted By: TLew

Re: Dow - 04/09/20 01:31 PM

Hah! Gotta agree with you. Been looking for a rise to go back to cash and then find out when lows are re-tested
Posted By: Gravytrain

Re: Dow - 04/09/20 01:41 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Dow - 04/09/20 01:46 PM

Couldn’t be that people are realizing this was a global economic hoax?

Is the virus bad...yes. Can it kill you...a small number of people, yes.

Is it the end of humanity....nope.... 2cents
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Dow - 04/09/20 01:52 PM

Emergency OPEC meeting in a few minutes

Re: Dow - 04/09/20 01:53 PM

Definitely not the end of humanity -- that thought was never in most of our minds. How long does it take for the economy to come back though? The longer unemployment stays out there, the less buying power. Add to that the fact that people are going to eat out less, travel less, work from home more, etc. over the next 6-12 months and that's where things get interesting. With all of the stimulus, we can expect rampant inflation which is the only reason why the market, including metals, should go up.

Re: Dow - 04/09/20 01:56 PM

Gold miners soaring 8-10%
flame whip
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Dow - 04/09/20 01:58 PM

Now up 538.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Dow - 04/09/20 03:12 PM

Posted By: Guy

Re: Dow - 04/09/20 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by TLew
Definitely not the end of humanity -- that thought was never in most of our minds.

Right, if the market thought that the Dow would have sank to almost zero. The marked has been headed up because the virus situation looks to be improving. The more it improves, the more the market will increase. It won’t get back to were it was until forecasted corporate earnings get back to were they were, and this could be soon, and with all the stimulus could go higher sooner than expected, as Trump has been saying.
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Dow - 04/09/20 03:40 PM

Stocks surge after Bernie dropped out rofl

Re: Dow - 04/09/20 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Guy
Definitely not the end of humanity -- that thought was never in most of our minds.

Right, if the market thought that the Dow would have sank to almost zero. The marked has been headed up because the virus situation looks to be improving. The more it improves, the more the market will increase. It won’t get back to we’re it was until forecasted corporate earnings get back to were they were, and this could be soon, and with all the stimulus could go higher sooner than expected, as Trump has been saying.

You can take it to the bank when I quote Guy, unless its about tha Cowboys to the Superboel.
cheers

Re: Dow - 04/09/20 03:44 PM

Pretty sure we are all saying the same thing...only difference is I'm commenting on the S&P being down <20% from highs. Do you think earnings will be <20% from forecast/expected? Nope. Will it get there? Yep. Current expectation is it will be a 2 year ordeal though based upon what my internal economists just showed me.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Dow - 04/09/20 04:32 PM

The are both down about the same, 17.5%...Dow 29 to 24, S&P500 3.4 to 2.8.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Dow - 04/09/20 04:54 PM

Definitely not the end of humanity -- that thought was never in most of our minds. How long does it take for the economy to come back though? The longer unemployment stays out there, the less buying power. Add to that the fact that people are going to eat out less, travel less, work from home more, etc. over the next 6-12 months and that's where things get interesting. With all of the stimulus, we can expect rampant inflation which is the only reason why the market, including metals, should go up.

I don't think so......people are going to be busting at the seams to get out and eat, travel........IMO.

Re: Dow - 04/09/20 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Dow soaring
US Corona count soaring
Unemployment soaring
Stimulus soaring
Printing machines at full tilt.

Som Ting Wong yingyang

[Linked Image]

lol35

We're not scared like your European brothers........we are ready to spring to life and ignore the fear..........THIS IS WHAT AMERICANS DO...........flag

Re: Dow - 04/09/20 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator

We're not scared like your European brothers........we are ready to spring to life and ignore the fear..........THIS IS WHAT AMERICANS DO...........flag

up
Posted By: chalet

Re: Dow - 04/09/20 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by dogcatcher

up

flag
Posted By: rolyat.nosaj

Re: Dow - 04/09/20 05:23 PM

I have made a lot of money following the Beav recommendations in the stock market. I just do the exact opposite and I make money.
Posted By: swampthang

Re: Dow - 04/09/20 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by rolyat.nosaj
I have made a lot of money following the Beav recommendations in the stock market. I just do the exact opposite and I make money.

Shhhh,dont give away the secret! rofl
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Dow - 04/09/20 05:34 PM

...people are going to be busting at the seams to get out and eat, travel........IMO.

Not just your opinion.

Re: Dow - 04/09/20 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by rolyat.nosaj

I'm doing fine by simply holding on to cash. I'm not a high roller.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Dow - 04/09/20 05:56 PM

yay i made back $100
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Dow - 04/09/20 08:36 PM

I like the price of silver still moving up

Re: Dow - 04/09/20 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Halfadozen
I like the price of silver still moving up

Yep, but i d rather see gold going up.
Miners went rogue today👍
Posted By: Nathan at Fork

Re: Dow - 04/10/20 12:28 AM

MGM up 130% from when I bought and mentioned it on here. Wish I had put more money into it.

Re: Dow - 04/10/20 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Nathan at Fork
MGM up 130% from when I bought and mentioned it on here. Wish I had put more money into it.

Yea, you should have gone all in...
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Dow - 04/10/20 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler

Is it the end of humanity....nope.... 2cents

Could be if the US economy completely tanks.

Re: Dow - 04/10/20 12:48 AM

Dump 4.3 trillion into the economy and print more money.

Exactly what the Doctor ordered for gold and the mighty miners.

Its gonna be finger-licking good.

bounce

Re: Dow - 04/10/20 12:55 AM

This too shall pass and the grass will be greener.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Dow - 04/10/20 12:58 AM

DOW will surpass 30000 soon after POTUS' 2nd term is confirmed.
Posted By: Pigsicles

Re: Dow - 04/10/20 10:21 AM

Love the optimism by some of you but not sure of the math.
Based on current EPS guidance by companies that have reported, the current DOW at 23,500 is at 19X earnings which is where we were at before the market tanked from 29,500. Historically 14X is the number most look at for fair market value.
As JP Morgan and others have stated, expectations for many corporate debt defaults will be occurring despite the FED trying to bail everyone and every company out.
Despite the cheerleading on markets to the moon, I suspect there will be a lot of belt tightening by average folks until personal debt/income is stabilized.
If the FED can create all the trillions of new dollars without negative ramifications then I guess they can dial up any numbers in the market they want........at least in the short term.

Re: Dow - 04/10/20 11:09 AM

I entered a bizarre trade last Friday. Bought a couple hundred shares of Luckin coffee(LK),China's version of Starbucks. Paid 7-ish per share hoping for a bounce back play. On Tuesday the stock halted trading at 4.39/shr and has been halted ever since. Seems the CEO had been cooking the books(badly!)and also had an outstanding loan with 4 or 5 major banks to the tune of $ 500mm. Goldman Sachs has been tasks with liquidating his assets to satisfy those bank's losses. I have to just hold tight and see what happens.Damn the bad luck.

Re: Dow - 04/10/20 11:38 AM

Futures are up this morning. cheers

Re: Dow - 04/10/20 11:51 AM

^^^^^Those are probably last nights numbers,market is closed today.
Posted By: glens

Re: Dow - 04/10/20 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by swampthang
^^^^^Those are probably last nights numbers,market is closed today.

Yeah and you can "Take that to the Bank" cyclo

Re: Dow - 04/10/20 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo1

Fingers crossed.
Posted By: Pigsicles

Re: Dow - 04/10/20 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by swampthang
I entered a bizarre trade last Friday. Bought a couple hundred shares of Luckin coffee(LK),China's version of Starbucks. Paid 7-ish per share hoping for a bounce back play. On Tuesday the stock halted trading at 4.39/shr and has been halted ever since. Seems the CEO had been cooking the books(badly!)and also had an outstanding loan with 4 or 5 major banks to the tune of $ 500mm. Goldman Sachs has been tasks with liquidating his assets to satisfy those bank's losses. I have to just hold tight and see what happens.Damn the bad luck.

That does suck for sure. You just have to wonder how much financial fraud will be discovered going forward as companies seek relief from debt and lost revenues.

Re: Dow - 04/10/20 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Pigsicles
Based on current EPS guidance by companies that have reported, the current DOW at 23,500 is at 19X earnings which is where we were at before the market tanked from 29,500. Historically 14X is the number most look at for fair market value.
As JP Morgan and others have stated, expectations for many corporate debt defaults will be occurring despite the FED trying to bail everyone and every company out.
Despite the cheerleading on markets to the moon, I suspect there will be a lot of belt tightening by average folks until personal debt/income is stabilized.
If the FED can create all the trillions of new dollars without negative ramifications then I guess they can dial up any numbers in the market they want........at least in the short term.

popcorn

Re: Dow - 04/10/20 01:14 PM

Makes too much sense Pigsicles, people won't listen to something so obvious.

BTW, your P/E is a little off since we haven't entered new earnings seasons and most have pulled back forecasts. My guess? We're over 25x P/E for the lion's share of orgs out there

Re: Dow - 04/10/20 02:14 PM

Well articulated and I concur. You can take that to the bank.
Roche, novartis and sanofi sitting at a cool 12-15 PE

Re: Dow - 04/10/20 03:04 PM

So we have a few wanna be Kramers on this thread.......Warren Buffett is a man of few words, he would rather let his success do the talking.......but you have to talk more often when that’s all you got......
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Dow - 04/10/20 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Originally Posted by Jimbo1

Fingers crossed.

Re: Dow - 04/10/20 03:15 PM

So we have a few wanna be Kramers on this thread.......Warren Buffett is a man of few words, he would rather let his success do the talking.......but you have to talk more often when that’s all you got......

Soon.....this is a very flawed plan from the get go......most Americans DO NOT grow their own food.....period.

Everybody is gonna get it until it goes away.......if it goes away......some are gonna die from it, and the rest of us will die from something else ....

popcorn

Re: Dow - 04/10/20 03:22 PM

Soon.....this is a very flawed plan from the get go......most Americans DO NOT grow their own food.....period.

Everybody is gonna get it until it goes away.......if it goes away......some are gonna die from it, and the rest of us will die from something else ....

popcorn

I do try not to post diatribes......these are great examples.......
Posted By: freerange

Re: Dow - 04/10/20 04:37 PM

Makes too much sense Pigsicles, people won't listen to something so obvious.

BTW, your P/E is a little off since we haven't entered new earnings seasons and most have pulled back forecasts. My guess? We're over 25x P/E for the lion's share of orgs out there

Most of this stuff is well over my head but im at a point in my life that im trying to learn. It makes some sense to me. Im in the market for the long haul so optimistic it will stay with its historical upward trend. Always way too much going on in the short term for me to understand much less predict.

Re: Dow - 04/10/20 05:26 PM

[quote=rolyat.nosaj]I have made a lot of money following the Beav recommendations in the stock market. I just do the exact opposite and I make money.

Dang. Can't call myself furgel anymore. Beer went up three dollars at Walmart.
Posted By: rolyat.nosaj

Re: Dow - 04/10/20 05:48 PM

That's price gouging Bill
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Dow - 04/10/20 06:06 PM

[quote=rolyat.nosaj]I have made a lot of money following the Beav recommendations in the stock market. I just do the exact opposite and I make money.

Dang. Can't call myself furgel anymore. Beer went up three dollars at Walmart.

Why would you call yourself furgel?? roflmao

Re: Dow - 04/10/20 09:41 PM

Buffett lost $258 million on his Delta bet
He bought some more in March swearing on TV it was a very good bet, to sell pretty much everything last 2 weeks on yet another 98 million loss.

Pffff, 45 minutes later he sold chiatton of South West, so much Love for that.
I guess diversification is a massive key.

Even the goats have it sometimes wrong.

Re: Dow - 04/10/20 09:52 PM

Still ahead of the game??? Or suffering paper losses, no gain or loss until it sells. This too shall pass.

Re: Dow - 04/10/20 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by dogcatcher
Still ahead of the game??? Or suffering paper losses, no gain or loss until it sells. This too shall pass.

Words from my mouth. cheers
Posted By: DannyB

Re: Dow - 04/11/20 02:24 AM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Berkshire Hathaway sitting on a ton of cash waiting on a bargain?

Great quote: "Risk comes from not knowing what you're doing." Warren Buffet

Another great quote: "The market always goes back up, until it doesn't." Author unknown.

Re: Dow - 04/11/20 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by DannyB
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Berkshire Hathaway sitting on a ton of cash waiting on a bargain?

Great quote: "Risk comes from not knowing what you're doing." Bill Gates

Another great quote: "The market always goes back up, until it doesn't." Author unknown.

Yup.

$125 billion in cash, and out of that, $100 billion in treasury bills.

Re: Dow - 04/11/20 02:39 AM

I corrected my above post. I had Gates on my mind about something else. Warren Buffet makes few mistakes. Also, he has to have a huge team of analysts. At his age he isn't running Berkshire Hathaway all by himself.

Due to the effects of this virus we are experiencing the possibility of a market unlike anything anyone on this forum has ever experienced. I would be very cautious about the "It always bounces back narrative."

Re: Dow - 04/11/20 02:41 AM

Buffett lost $258 million on his Delta bet
He bought some more in March swearing on TV it was a very good bet, to sell pretty much everything last 2 weeks on yet another 98 million loss.

Pffff, 45 minutes later he sold chiatton of South West, so much Love for that.
I guess diversification is a massive key.

Even the goats have it sometimes wrong.

Where are you reading he lost $258m? Is it published somewhere the average price per share he paid for Delta? DAL was trading as low as 9/shr as recently as 2012,maybe he loaded up then at that price for all we know. When he paid 48/shr in march for DAL that could have been an elaborate ruse to keep folks from unloading DAL driving the price lower.He knew he was going to sell enough shares to get his stake in the company below 10% and he didn't want the stock price to drop any further before he did. SEC rule states if you own less than a 10% stake in a company you don't have to report every buy and sell. Makes sense he would want to get below that threshold. Don't confuse him making a "bad bet" with the corona virus punching his portfolio in the gut. Buffett of all people is not the type to buy high,sell low. He knew the airline industry is gonna be in pain for months to come so it makes sense to me for him to reduce his exposure to that space. While at the same time cutting the biggest dogs/mutts in his portfolio. Killed two birds with one stone.

Re: Dow - 04/11/20 02:52 AM

BBC ya dummy

Re: Dow - 04/11/20 03:02 AM

BBC ya dummy

Link please.(British Broadcasting Corp,not the other one you're so fond of)

Re: Dow - 04/11/20 03:03 AM

Great quote: "Risk comes from not knowing what you're doing." Bill Gates

Yup.

$125 billion in cash, and out of that, $100 billion in treasury bills.

T-Bills: Treasury Direct's website is terrible. After months and numerous support help calls I'm getting better navigating their site. Hint...don't click go back. It logs you out and you have to start all over with the triple security log in.

https://www.treasurydirect.gov/

Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Dow - 04/11/20 01:26 PM

I corrected my above post. I had Gates on my mind about something else. Warren Buffet makes few mistakes. Also, he has to have a huge team of analysts. At his age he isn't running Berkshire Hathaway all by himself.

Due to the effects of this virus we are experiencing the possibility of a market unlike anything anyone on this forum has ever experienced. I would be very cautious about the "It always bounces back narrative."

Exactly. We have nothing to compare to except the great depression. That didn't turn out well. Bill, I understand your situation, but if you stay in cash you're losing money everyday to inflation, no matter how small an amount. Your beer going up $3 is a perfect example. Maybe a money market act. Would at least smooth out the rough edges.

Re: Dow - 04/11/20 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Erathkid

Exactly. We have nothing to compare to except the great depression. That didn't turn out well. Bill, I understand your situation, but if you stay in cash you're losing money everyday to inflation, no matter how small an amount. Your beer going up $3 is a perfect example. Maybe a money market act. Would at least smooth out the rough edges.

I was referring to new money. I still have my IRA, two annuities, and a little common stock. One which happens to be LUV @ 13.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Dow - 04/11/20 03:16 PM

^^^Good deal.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum