Texas Hunting Forum

need new weed eater

Posted By: txhunter1010

need new weed eater - 03/06/20 07:48 PM

Yall have any suggestions on a new weed eater. I need straight shaft, string, 2 cycle.. My old one finally locked up. Home Depot has a Ryobi that has pretty good reviews and priced good..
Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: need new weed eater - 03/06/20 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by txhunter1010
Yall have any suggestions on a new weed eater. I need straight shaft, string, 2 cycle.. My old one finally locked up. Home Depot has a Ryobi that has pretty good reviews and priced good..

My next one will run on batteries. You might want to take a look at them.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: need new weed eater - 03/06/20 07:57 PM

I have the Ryobi 40V rechargeable. It's all that and a box of cookies. have the blower too.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: need new weed eater - 03/06/20 08:00 PM

https://texashuntingforum.com/forum...ater/Search/true/re-cordless#Post7627497
Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: need new weed eater - 03/06/20 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw
I have the Ryobi 40V rechargeable. It's all that and a box of cookies. have the blower too.

Everyone I talk to loves the battery powered one. I'm tired of fighting with my 2 stroke.
Posted By: txhunter1010

Re: need new weed eater - 03/06/20 08:03 PM

I looked at the battery powered ones.. My thing is a i have lot of trimming to do and i Know i could get 2 batteries but everything else i own is gas powered. Just use to it i guess.
Posted By: Cool Mo D

Re: need new weed eater - 03/06/20 08:06 PM

Stihl gas = no grass.
Posted By: Judd

Re: need new weed eater - 03/06/20 08:09 PM

Stihl or Echo are the choices in gas.
Posted By: Cast

Re: need new weed eater - 03/06/20 08:21 PM

A good battery powered machine will work you to death on one battery.
Posted By: pdr55

Re: need new weed eater - 03/06/20 08:33 PM

I got an echo 5 years ago and haven’t had a minute of trouble.

GT-225
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: need new weed eater - 03/06/20 08:41 PM

How much can one of the battery units do? Will it last for 4000' of fence line on a charge?
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: need new weed eater - 03/06/20 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Judd

This. I prefer the Echo over the Stihl.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: need new weed eater - 03/06/20 08:46 PM

This. I have an ECHO PAS-266, it's a beast. Runs weedeater, edger, hedger, polesaw.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: need new weed eater - 03/06/20 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw

This. All the old attachments fit.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: need new weed eater - 03/06/20 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Big Fitz

This. I prefer the Echo over the Stihl.

Yup
Posted By: don k

Re: need new weed eater - 03/06/20 10:02 PM

[Linked Image]
No batteries or gas. Also fertilizes as it eats. Should last over 15 years.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: need new weed eater - 03/06/20 10:23 PM

After the recent chainsaw thread featuring the battery powered ones, I decided I'm going to have a yard sale in the near future and get rid of all my gas powered and corded tools and replace with Ryobi 40v. HD has a 40vt chainsaw and pole saw package for $299 but it's only online and I need to figure a way to use my military discount. Still waiting for the Spring sale for the weed eater.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: need new weed eater - 03/06/20 10:30 PM

Based on my personal experience, never buy anything from Ryobi that has a spark plug. As for the Stihl vs Echo gas units, I have one of each. They both work great, but the Echo seems to have less good gas tubing and has to be replaced more often. That may not be an issue if you use non-oxygenated gasoline.

And, in my opinion, it’s a good bit easier to replace string on the Stihl. Based on that, my choice for a new gas unit would be Stihl. I have no opinion on battery powered weed eaters, though I can say that the Stihl battery chainsaw the wife has is excellent for light work.
Posted By: Paluxy

Re: need new weed eater - 03/06/20 10:40 PM

Really like the 4Mix engine that Stihl uses.
Posted By: Tin Head

Re: need new weed eater - 03/06/20 10:55 PM

From the sound of it , if your incapable of turning a screw a quarter or half turn then battery is your choice. Using cordless tools for the last 20 yrs I would never do ryobi. I have used ryobi but only when thefts were high, no one would steal it. Battery operated leads to more pollution than gasoline , if your thinking about being "green".
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: need new weed eater - 03/06/20 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Tin Head
From the sound of it , if your incapable of turning a screw a quarter or half turn then battery is your choice. Using cordless tools for the last 20 yrs I would never do ryobi. I have used ryobi but only when thefts were high, no one would steal it. Battery operated leads to more pollution than gasoline , if your thinking about being "green".

You're assuming a lot!
Posted By: MeanGreen85

Re: need new weed eater - 03/06/20 11:30 PM

I just fired up Home Depot’s 2014 edition of that same string trimmer for the first time this spring. Still runs well for what I paid for it.

Re: need new weed eater - 03/06/20 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo1

You're assuming a lot!

Yep. There is no tool for adjusting the carburation. On the two cycle.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: need new weed eater - 03/07/20 12:26 AM

The Echo I have is running like a champ, 11 years old.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: need new weed eater - 03/07/20 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by reeltexan

I am at 12 years on the Echo my brother gave me, used. I put on string and 2 cycle gas, never missed a lick.
My mower (Briggs) is at 17 years old and only needed a new magneto and two belts. Also used from my brother.
I wonder how long these battery things will last before they change battery style and the battery is obsolete?
Posted By: MikeC

Re: need new weed eater - 03/07/20 01:03 AM

Echo
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: need new weed eater - 03/07/20 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Originally Posted by Jimbo1

You're assuming a lot!

Yep. There is no tool for adjusting the carburation. On the two cycle.

There is, but you have to buy it online.
Posted By: jdh78

Re: need new weed eater - 03/07/20 01:18 AM

Echo. I have on that is almost 10. One ignition coil and a primer bulb is all I have done to it.
Posted By: MikeC

Re: need new weed eater - 03/07/20 01:22 AM

Echo
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: need new weed eater - 03/07/20 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by jdh78
Echo. I have on that is almost 10. One ignition coil and a primer bulb is all I have done to it.

My primer bulb if looking iffy, I might need to replace it this year.
Posted By: Greg

Re: need new weed eater - 03/07/20 01:35 AM

In my opinion, Echo is the best in the business! My experience with Ryobi is that it will last you a season or two and then get all gunked up and have problems starting. 8 or 10 years back I bought a straight shaft echo and haven’t looked back. I used it yesterday for the first time this year. (It’s been sitting because a crew has done my yard the last few years). I went to prime the little rubber cup and the thing is so old, it split on me when I pushed it. I thought I would be out of luck until I replaced the cup. Boy was I wrong. I ripped the string twice and it fired right up... even with the split cup. Thing ran like a champ after just sitting for a long time. Echo is where it’s at!
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: need new weed eater - 03/07/20 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Simple Searcher
Originally Posted by reeltexan

I am at 12 years on the Echo my brother gave me, used. I put on string and 2 cycle gas, never missed a lick.
My mower (Briggs) is at 17 years old and only needed a new magneto and two belts. Also used from my brother.
I wonder how long these battery things will last before they change battery style and the battery is obsolete?

There are lots of battery companies that can rebuild the batteries, usually cheaper than the OEM batteries.
Posted By: DoubleB20

Re: need new weed eater - 03/08/20 01:38 PM

I've had the Echo 56V and couldn't be happier. I have an acre lot and weed eat once a week, maybe takes 20-30 minutes each week, one battery charge lasts around a month. I bought the blower last year and it came with battery and charger. That battery seemed weird from the start then finally died. Called Echo and new battery in mailbox within a week. The frustration with gas powered yard tools is over.

Re: need new weed eater - 03/08/20 02:06 PM

Just for info, BatteryPlus won’t rebuild the Lithium batteries. Safety issue they told me.

Re: need new weed eater - 03/08/20 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by 603Country
Just for info, BatteryPlus won’t rebuild the Lithium batteries. Safety issue they told me.

I'd rather buy a new battery every year than to mix one batch of gas.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: need new weed eater - 03/08/20 02:37 PM

Straight shaft Echo.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: need new weed eater - 03/08/20 03:05 PM

We have a straight shaft Stihl, we got it from a friend who used it daily in the lawn business, it's about 6 years old, starts on the 2nd pull no problemo.
I'm actually working on a locked up Stihl right now.
Posted By: Gringocazador

Re: need new weed eater - 03/08/20 03:24 PM

Go to CPO website and buy an Hitachi, cheap, light, powerful and will last a long time. I've had two of them and beat the hell out of them at my place at Rayburn over the last 10 years. I'd take an Hitachi over Stihl, Echo any of them. I've had them all.

The Hitachi blowers can be bought cheap too and will blow the feathers off your chickens. I have an Hitachi blower that I've had for about 10 years, only thing I've done to it was change fuel lines. Its blows almost as hard as a high dollar Echo back pack blower I thought I had to have.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: need new weed eater - 03/08/20 03:31 PM

Hire a lawn guy and never worry about it again.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: need new weed eater - 03/08/20 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by NORML as can be

Hire a lawn guy and never worry about it again.

up

There are so cheap now of days, with mostly all being illegal aliens
Posted By: horndale11

Re: need new weed eater - 03/09/20 03:37 PM

Echo is awsome!
Posted By: PMK

Re: need new weed eater - 03/09/20 03:41 PM

if my Stihl ever dies, I will be going to a battery powered one.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: need new weed eater - 03/09/20 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by horndale11
Echo is awEsome!

This and take the plastic plugs out and you can adjust the jets.
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: need new weed eater - 03/11/20 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by txhunter1010

Buy the Ryobi if you like to rebuild carbs. In fact I have one hanging in garage for you. I got a straight shaft Husquevarna from Northern Tool. It has been great. I only run mixed ethanol free. If you can't get ethanol free then True Fuel. Straight shaft is only way to go. Bought a curved shaft once and don't think it lasted a year. My Husky is also a take down so you can use attachments or just break down for transport.

Re: need new weed eater - 03/11/20 01:54 AM

Keep telling folks, a Ryobi with a spark plug is not a good idea. I’ve had 3. The first one kept dropping the air cleaner again and again till one day it sucked something into the carb. Junk. I took it to Home Depot and they swapped it for a Stihl (they don’t carry Stihl any more, but have Echo). That solved one problem, but my wife had a wheeled 2 cycle weed eater actually made by Weedeater, but it died. Home Depot had a Ryobi just like it, so I bought one. Took it home and put it together but it would NOT start. Drove 40 miles and swapped it for a new one. Took it home and put it together and fired it up. It ran for 10 seconds and never ran again. That’s it. Never again will I buy a Ryobi with a spark plug.

Just spend a little more and get a straight shaft Echo or Stihl. And get a replacement fuel line for the Echo. You will need it.
Posted By: Marc K

Re: need new weed eater - 03/11/20 02:11 AM

Since this thread won't die: Echo all the way. Always starts fast, easy to load. My last home outside of Bastrop was on rocky land so a mower was out of the question. After the 2011 fire, the entire 1.5 acres of front yard was done with the Echo. If you have done that, you know what it is like.

My Echo straight shaft has more hours on it than I can count. It just keeps on running.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum