Texas Hunting Forum

who remembers these

Posted By: J.P. Greeson

who remembers these - 01/24/20 11:12 AM

Odd to see a craigslist ad for them.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/for/d/hand-crafted-wooden-or-rubber-paddles/7038631139.html
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 11:19 AM

I remember clearly
Posted By: wp75169

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 11:29 AM

I wish they were still standard issue in every classroom.
Posted By: deerhunter1956

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 11:36 AM

Brings back some memories.
Posted By: Stub

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 11:55 AM

My dad had an assortment of weapons of mASS destructionscared

First one in school that I ever encountered was in 4th or 5th grade, the principle Sister Mary Arthur looked like a linebacker and knew how to swing it.
Jr high coach had one made out of Fiberglass with little holes in it, you could hear it whistling right before it smacked your backside nuts
Principle Mr Brown big guy would lift you off the ground when he whacked you, the asst principle was a small guy that you had to try and not laugh when he swatted you.

Now to be clear I was not a trouble maker, I was framed by the Clintons roflmao

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 12:01 PM

I got my first one in 5th grade as well in PE class. That jackazz coach hit me so hard it brought water to my eyes. I didn't cry cause I was so pissed. He wasn't one of those people you respected. I wish I would have met up with him after I was grown.
Posted By: pegasaurus

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 12:11 PM

The teachers would proudly display their tool of choice above the chalkboard.

Had one teacher that would let you sign it if you qualified for the Achiever Award. Qualification was getting ore than 10 licks in one punishment redirection session. I felt cheated that he only let me sign it once.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 12:17 PM

Our Vice Principal at Mesquite High ( Mr. Maine’s) used one of those on me many, many times. I would walk my girlfriend, now wife to class and would be late to mine. After so many tardies it was 3 seats or detention, so I’d just take the swats. I recall after one paddling he said “son, love is a hurting thing for you”.

Surprisingly enough, they never called my mom for permission and I didn’t want them too.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 12:26 PM

I had a drafting teacher that would give us a signed hall pass to take all 3 lunch periods if you took 3 swats. I was a frequent flyer.
Posted By: Pootie

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 12:26 PM

At the start of the 3rd grade, the teacher called me up to the front of the room to show me a present she bought for me over the summer. Yep, a paddle. I guess I already had established a reputation.

Warped me for life!
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 12:28 PM

They were used often in my school, you could hear them in action out in the hall on a daily basis. Fifth grade I learned Mrs Singleton had the best swing of them all.
Posted By: fadetoblack64

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 12:32 PM

Coach Davidson in 4th grade PE...................Terry Sides had pushed a girl and I punched him in his fat belly so hard he puked. Coach gave me 3 of the hardest swats as I had a headache for 2 days and peed blood from hitting me high

In high school somebody burned his car down.

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 12:38 PM

I think our 5th grade coach swatted someone every period. He probably got off on it. The only other swat I got was years later by the lady vice principle. Don't think a lady can't swing a paddle.
Posted By: Espy

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 12:50 PM

I wasn’t a bad kid I just did dumb stuff. Usually had a choice of the paddle or call my parents. I always chose the paddle.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 12:51 PM

My shop teacher had one of those ask me how I know. grin
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 12:55 PM

We had one in school named Pine-Solved

It did solve some problems rofl
Posted By: NDN98

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 01:05 PM

I remember getting paddled in 4th grade. Best friend took one of my fish sticks off my cafeteria tray and I punched him in the nose. You just don't take a guy's fish stick, LOL.
Posted By: Greg

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 01:09 PM

1st grade next to chalk board. The “Texas Tail-Blaser” written across it roflmao saw it used, but never on me.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 01:12 PM

Spare the rod spoil the child. cheers
Posted By: Sniper.270

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by J.P. Greeson
I got my first one in 5th grade as well in PE class. That jackazz coach hit me so hard it brought water to my eyes. I didn't cry cause I was so pissed. He wasn't one of those people you respected. I wish I would have met up with him after I was grown.

Probably would not have been to difficult to make that “meet up” if ya wanted.
Posted By: Sniper.270

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by NDN98
I remember getting paddled in 4th grade. Best friend took one of my fish sticks off my cafeteria tray and I punched him in the nose. You just don't take a guy's fish stick, LOL.

Ain’t that the truth. Those things were dang good back then. Loved them too. And the steak ones also.
Posted By: TPACK

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 01:34 PM

I have been trying to forget. It`s funny, but the person who used one of those on me was a coach / assistant principal(1976) who I respected and still respect till this day. I have seen him thru the years and I always stopped to talk to him. I really did not deserve it but the teacher and I always butted heads. He was the assistant principal at the time.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 01:44 PM

In middle school, an assistant principal threatened to use one on me...for holding a girl's hand walking in the hallway! I'm a lover, not a fighter. grin
Posted By: Tritonman

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 01:44 PM

What search criteria were you using to find "spanking paddle" nuts nuts

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tritonman
What search criteria were you using to find "spanking paddle" nuts nuts

I have no idea why it came up in my search. I was searching for "hens."

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper.270

Probably would not have been to difficult to make that “meet up” if ya wanted.

I'm sure he's probably dead. I had no respect for him but absolutely respected Mrs. Anderson, the assistant principal who whopped me.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 02:07 PM

There seem to be a lot of coaches in the Jr. High/Middle School level that have bad attitudes, I guess 'cause they didn't make the "big leagues". Others, I'm sure, are dedicated to trying to make kids healthier.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 02:08 PM

Since spanking your kids is no damn near a death sentence..... makes me wonder what the intended purpose of those paddles is...probably some freaky stuff popcorn

I missed the era of teachers with paddles by a few years, but my moms mom had a thin leather belt and a wood paddle. I remember being spanked once with the belt and that was it, I was a quick learner. Dad did it bare hand.

I do remember going to a catholic school my first couple years and walking back to class from going to the bathroom and passing the principles door to see a junior high/high school girl over the principals knee with her proverbial catholic school girl skirt flipped up getting her rear end paddled... she was screaming and hitting at him and thrashing around, when the nun observing the whooping saw me gawking she slammed the door and I skedaddled back to class!
Posted By: Blue Moon

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 02:09 PM

O Captain! My Captain! No J.P., I don't recall black leather padded spank paddles or 9 inch leather tawse floggers ever posted on THF before, not even in the OT... This reminds me of the time when I arrived home from a day afield with my waterfowl mentor, proud of my limit of drakes, only to be greeted by the wrath my children's stunningly gorgeous mom.

While she's a tall blonde with world class, magazine quality good looks, her seminary degree makes her a tad uptight. Her rage arose after our cleaning lady, the one she hired from her bible study, a woman of strong faith who's only sin was gossip, arrantly placed the long black rubber waterfowl feeding call on her nightstand that unfortunately fell out of my gear bag as I rushed to leave the house in the predawn hours. The same predawn, not yet fully awake hours, that I'm sure caused you to not notice you'd placed a link to adult pleasure toys in the OT..

Blue Moon

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 02:17 PM

My mom came after me with a hairbrush one time. The mistake I made was laughing at her when I thought the interaction was over.

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Blue Moon
O Captain! My Captain! No J.P., I don't recall black leather padded spank paddles or 9 inch leather tawse floggers ever posted on THF before, not even in the OT... This reminds me of the time when I arrived home from a day afield with my waterfowl mentor, proud of my limit of drakes, only to be greeted by the wrath my children's stunningly gorgeous mom.

While she's a tall blonde with world class, magazine quality good looks, her seminary degree makes her a tad uptight. Her rage arose after our cleaning lady, the one she hired from her bible study, a woman of strong faith who's only sin was gossip, arrantly placed the long black rubber waterfowl feeding call on her nightstand that unfortunately fell out of my gear bag as I rushed to leave the house in the predawn hours. The same predawn, not yet fully awake hours, that I'm sure caused you to not notice you'd placed a link to adult pleasure toys in the OT..

Blue Moon

Yes, it was a pre-coffee post.

coffee
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 02:23 PM

My mom came after me with a hairbrush one time. The mistake I made was laughing at her when I thought the interaction was over.

You seem to have had a troubled childhood. roflmao
Posted By: TCM3

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 02:49 PM

I never got a paddle....but I did get my dad's leather belt a few times. crying
But I'm better off for it.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 02:50 PM

I used to make them back in the 70's.
Posted By: LeonCarr

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 03:26 PM

It is criminal, literally, how an adult can beat a child (I did not say discipline I said beat because back in the day they were beatings not discipline), in some places without the parent's consent, and it is ok. If an adult did the same thing outside the "educational environment" they could go to prison for up to 20 years or more.

Sec. 22.02. AGGRAVATED ASSAULT. (a) A person commits an offense if the person commits assault as defined in Sec. 22.01 and the person:

(1) causes serious bodily injury to another, including the person's spouse; or

(2) uses or exhibits a deadly weapon during the commission of the assault.

(b) An offense under this section is a felony of the second degree, except that the offense is a felony of the first degree if:

(1) the actor uses a deadly weapon during the commission of the assault and causes serious bodily injury to a person whose relationship to or association with the defendant is described by Section 71.0021(b), 71.003, or 71.005, Family Code;

That is not the whole statute, but the part of the statute I am talking about.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Posted By: Superduty

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 03:28 PM

Let's just say:
3rd grade.
7th grade twice.
8th grade once.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 03:34 PM

I remember the shaved down baseball bat. Bend over the back of the chair, grab the seat with both hands and if you let go, the count starts over. The key was never to let go.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 03:40 PM

Only got one used on me one time in school. But yes I remember those. Saw and or heard them used often.

I knew if I got one used on me at school I would get a switch used later at the house. My Mother was the highschool cafeteria manager so she would be informed of my activities.
Posted By: Tin Head

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
I had a drafting teacher that would give us a signed hall pass to take all 3 lunch periods if you took 3 swats. I was a frequent flyer.

now thats just weird.
Posted By: Mike W

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 04:36 PM

My cheeks start burning just looking at that picture.
Posted By: majekman

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 04:57 PM

The true stingers were palm tree limbs....

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by LeonCarr
It is criminal, literally, how an adult can beat a child (I did not say discipline I said beat because back in the day they were beatings not discipline), in some places without the parent's consent, and it is ok. If an adult did the same thing outside the "educational environment" they could go to prison for up to 20 years or more.

Sec. 22.02. AGGRAVATED ASSAULT. (a) A person commits an offense if the person commits assault as defined in Sec. 22.01 and the person:

(b) An offense under this section is a felony of the second degree, except that the offense is a felony of the first degree if:

(1) the actor uses a deadly weapon during the commission of the assault and causes serious bodily injury to a person whose relationship to or association with the defendant is described by Section 71.0021(b), 71.003, or 71.005, Family Code;

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

I sure your are correct but I never heard of a beatin. I did hear of getting paddled. I never did see teachers loading up on the children. In fact it was the other way around.
bolt
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 05:10 PM

Been there, had those applied.

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 05:12 PM

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Posted By: TexasKC

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 05:14 PM

I got swats many times but I don't remember ever really getting hurt by a teacher. A couple of swats would make you think twice about committing the same offense.
Posted By: chalet

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 05:24 PM

Pretty common for guys to have about 4" wide bruises across their asses when I was in high school, I came home with a few. Never struck me as a big deal, most of them were from football coaches. Only got licks from the principal in HS couple times. It was always a choice, 3 licks or 3 days ISS. Taking the licks was a no brainer, who'd want to sit in a closet for three days.

True story. HS principal busted me and one of my best friends for skipping class and basically goofing off. He offered licks or ISS. I was wrong, I knew it, I took the licks and got down the road. My friend pitched a big fit. "you're not hittin me, I'll call my mom, this is BS", etc. Think he ended up with the licks after push came to shove - years later he went to the pen for cooking meth. Always thought back to that situation and how he acted when I'd here things about him occasionaly. His dad was MIA most of his life, his mom was about half crazy too. Figured it was all part of the puzzle.
Posted By: janie

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 06:08 PM

It is criminal, literally, how an adult can beat a child (I did not say discipline I said beat because back in the day they were beatings not discipline)

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

You bring up an interesting point. If you can't get your message across with 2 or 3 cracks across the arse, you've already failed. We had one teacher, who was about 6'4 280 lbs. One of my class mates had forgot to spit out her gum after lunch. He hauled her out to the hallway, and after 12 or so crack's, we heard her crying, and him yelling at her to get up. She couldn't.
Busted her tailbone.
And to this day, I still have an issue with a male teacher whaling away on a female student.
Posted By: fadetoblack64

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by janie
It is criminal, literally, how an adult can beat a child (I did not say discipline I said beat because back in the day they were beatings not discipline)

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

You bring up an interesting point. If you can't get your message across with 2 or 3 cracks across the arse, you've already failed. We had one teacher, who was about 6'4 280 lbs. One of my class mates had forgot to spit out her gum after lunch. He hauled her out to the hallway, and after 12 or so crack's, we heard her crying, and him yelling at her to get up. She couldn't.
Busted her tailbone.
And to this day, I still have an issue with a male teacher whaling away on a female student.

should never happen
Posted By: pegasaurus

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 06:45 PM

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

While that may be true. The Texas Education Code still allows it in Chapter 37: Discipline; Law and Order

Interesting thing is that in 2017 the Texas legislature made it an Opt-Out instead of an Opt-In for parents.
The only way for a parent to Opt-Out is to send in a written letter requesting that their child be Opt-Out for corporal punishment.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by takewhatyoucan64
Originally Posted by janie

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Busted her tailbone.

should never happen

I'd have went twyc on that guy.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 07:24 PM

Never, ever would tell Mom about getting licks at school cuz she would then give me twice as many at home. What she didn't know did not hurt me.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 07:35 PM

In 4th grade, a girl in class asked the female teacher if she could go to the bathroom. The teacher brought her to the front-middle of the class and lectured us about only going to the bathroom during recess. Had the girl bend over and as soon as that paddle hit her rear, she pee'ed all over. It was only 4th grade, but I knew that poor girl (Maria) could not have been more humiliated any other way. I think everyone was shocked as not a sound was made, teacher even made her clean it up with paper towels, fortunately she stopped after the first hit.

She was the first one to direct me to go get a spanking from the Asst Principal because I did my homework wrong. The first two whacks were funny, 3rd not so much, 4th hurt, 5th was down right painful!

I too hate it when I search for "hens" and I get a paddle assortment. Good thing you didn't search for "Rooster".

Charlie
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 07:36 PM

once in high school. all it took

my daughter teaches second graders, mostly Indian, (Frisco). they NEVER stop talking . she would love to wail on them.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by CharlieCTx
In 4th grade, a girl in class asked the female teacher if she could go to the bathroom. The teacher brought her to the front-middle of the class and lectured us about only going to the bathroom during recess. Had the girl bend over and as soon as that paddle hit her rear, she pee'ed all over. It was only 4th grade, but I knew that poor girl (Maria) could not have been more humiliated any other way. I think everyone was shocked as not a sound was made, teacher even made her clean it up with paper towels, fortunately she stopped after the first hit.

She was the first one to direct me to go get a spanking from the Asst Principal because I did my homework wrong. The first two whacks were funny, 3rd not so much, 4th hurt, 5th was down right painful!

I too hate it when I search for "hens" and I get a paddle assortment. Good thing you didn't search for "Rooster".

Charlie

Good lord
Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 07:56 PM

I'm pretty sure those are meant for some kind of S&M stuff, and not for discipline.

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Choctaw

You seem to have had a troubled childhood. roflmao

I got the paddle twice. Once in 5th grade and once in middle school, but yes, when I hit high school I went plum crazy.
Posted By: majekman

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 08:13 PM

Licks or stadium steps...sometimes coach let us pick, most times not
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 11:39 PM

Spent a lot of school time in the hallway! Mostly for dumb stuff. Finally just quit school and went in the Air Force.

Re: who remembers these - 01/24/20 11:50 PM

My old man always told them “let me know whenever you provide a whuppin so I can provide another at home.”
Posted By: Grizz

Re: who remembers these - 01/25/20 02:37 AM

I was in the slow learners club so I have vivid memories of paddles in school. Off the top of my head, I don't remember getting any I didn't deserve.
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: who remembers these - 01/25/20 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Grizz
I was in the slow learners club so I have vivid memories of paddles in school. Off the top of my head, I don't remember getting any I didn't deserve.

I think i got 6 if i remember correctly.

I earned 5

That 1 I was innocent for still pisses me off totally uncalled for

Re: who remembers these - 01/25/20 03:59 PM

I had teacher send me to the principal's office once for cutting up in class.
He paddled me.

When I got back to the class I was smiling a bit.
She told me he must not have done a good enough job and sent me back down there.

No more smiles.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: who remembers these - 01/25/20 04:24 PM

In third grade I had a Teacher that paddled one or more students in our class every day. One day during a test, the kid next to me was trying to get me to give him an answer to a question and our teacher saw it. It was to the hall with the paddle for both of us. My Teacher asked "Who first?". I immediately pointed to the other kid. As he was getting paddled, I took off out the door and across the street. The Teacher came out and yelled at me to come back. I yelled back and said "No, I did nothing wrong and started walking towards home." That was an adventure in itself. While cutting across a corner lawn having a birdbath full of birdseed, I stuck my hands in it swirling it around. Turned out that house belonged to our church pastor and he was watching out his window. He knew who I was and called my Mom to tell me stealing his bird seed was a sin. My Teacher never reported me gone to anyone, so it was how my parents found out I was not as School. Passing another house I was attacked by a Rottweiler. It charged me across a lawn and though bit me, did not break my skin. I got away. When I got home I found an unlocked window to climb into the house by stacking up random stuff around to climb on to reach it. Had a good time alone the rest of the day watching TV and playing. My mom when home took me back to school that evening to apologize to my teacher despite me telling her I was getting paddled for doing nothing wrong. I did apologize to my teacher for leaving, but followed it with "I did nothing wrong" and "I will run away again if you try to hit me". The next day I was a hero to the rest of my Class. I bet there was not one fellow student that did not get paddled at least once over the rest of that year. Except me, even when I did do something wrong.
Posted By: jakebunch

Re: who remembers these - 01/25/20 04:40 PM

That one with the holes in it makes my butt hurt just looking at it. Was a long time ago but Coach swung a mean paddle.

But that was better than this. A second grade teacher, Ms. Jones, would make a boy that was misbehaving wear a dress in class. She kept a dress in the coat room. At a high school reunion many years ago I asked Jimmy A. if he remembered that dress. He said "remember it hell, everyone thought I was a girl for most of the year!

Times have changed.
Posted By: bucksnbass357

Re: who remembers these - 01/25/20 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by CCBIRDDOGMAN
I remember clearly
Posted By: rolyat.nosaj

Re: who remembers these - 01/25/20 07:05 PM

I can't remember how many times I got swats but it was enough to lose count. Sometimes I was guilty and other times I was misunderstood. A girl teacher gave me my first in 4th grade and it didn't hurt at all but she was crying afterwards. I thought why did we just go through all that? The coaches and VP made me regret my bad choices and I could barely sit down afterwards. My dad used a thick leather belt on me but it only took one time and I got smarter at hiding things. I support spanking kids but if it's mine then call me and I will come up there and do it myself. I'm only minutes away.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: who remembers these - 01/26/20 03:05 AM

I was acting up in my freshman English class and my teacher finally had enough. She was a tiny woman and pretty lax. She grabbed her paddle and told me to hit the hallway, and when we got there she had me assume the position against the lockers and told me not to move or make a sound. She walked around the corner and came back with one of my coaches (the biggest, meanest one). That dude lit me up. It sounded like a shotgun going off four times (he gave me an extra one for interrupting his class). It took everything I had to keep from crying, and she told me if I told anyone what happened it would be worse next time. The best part was the looks on everyone else's faces when we went back into the classroom after they heard those licks and saw my face. That little woman didn't have any problems in her class for awhile after that. It also took me awhile to tell anyone what really happened.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: who remembers these - 01/26/20 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Tin Head
Originally Posted by 68rustbucket

now thats just weird.

Not really, the signed hall pass allowed me to leave campus during the 3 lunch periods. There was a good BBQ joint down the street from the HS.
Posted By: joebass2

Re: who remembers these - 01/26/20 03:05 PM

Our elementary principal had the ones with holes in it (so I'm told). He would make sure to open the door to his office when he paddled someone as a gentle reminder to the rest of the students.

Re: who remembers these - 01/26/20 05:22 PM

we got paddled but there was always a witness in the hall. Never seen girls getting paddled or some one offering free paddles for gifts. Another teacher would make you stand out in-front of class with your arms out, he would taunt you and embarrass you as you stood their like a idiot. I see no problems with either . Well only that my parents should of been called also but today I still dont see any funny business.
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: who remembers these - 01/26/20 07:21 PM

Those aren’t the same kinda paddles y’all are talking about....
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: who remembers these - 01/27/20 04:06 AM

Those are not for the classroom,,,,,they are for the bedroom (naughty room) ! whip
Posted By: LeonCarr

Re: who remembers these - 01/29/20 02:30 AM

About 95% of the teachers and coaches I had growing up were (expletive deleted), and took pleasure in it.

I don't miss my childhood.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: who remembers these - 01/29/20 02:47 AM

A clear and undeniable lesson in both responsibility and accountability in one swift pop.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum