Texas Hunting Forum

Dauphin Island

Posted By: jdh78

Dauphin Island - 01/19/20 12:42 AM

Is it worth the drive from DFW? Want a budget beach vacation for the family. Maybe some fishing as well. Thoughts?
Posted By: Tin Head

Re: Dauphin Island - 01/19/20 12:43 AM

Never heard of this before .
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Dauphin Island - 01/19/20 12:45 AM

PM Cbump.
Posted By: Tin Head

Re: Dauphin Island - 01/19/20 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by bill oxner
PM Cbump.
ok thanks
Posted By: BAYSPORT

Re: Dauphin Island - 01/19/20 01:00 AM

Great place
Low Key and good fishing
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Dauphin Island - 01/19/20 01:21 AM

Better for fishing. Not as “cosmopolitan” as gulf shores or orange beach.
Posted By: Pupjoint

Re: Dauphin Island - 01/19/20 01:37 AM

You will enjoy it!!
Posted By: jdh78

Re: Dauphin Island - 01/19/20 01:39 AM

I’ve been to Galveston, Marco Island, Miami, Key Biscayne, the Keys, and Playa del Carmen. Not expecting a Caribbean beach, but semi clear water and no smell would be nice. I hear mixed things about the beaches- any input on that would be nice. Thanks!
Posted By: Stub

Re: Dauphin Island - 01/19/20 01:44 AM

Had to look it up, interesting. Good luck have fun up From appearance head north if a tidal wave is coming bolt

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Dauphin Island - 01/19/20 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by BAYSPORT
Great place
Low Key and good fishing
Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: Dauphin Island - 01/19/20 05:23 PM

Stay at the Gulf Breeze Motel. Family owed and a very nice quiet affordable motel. It is a Dauphin Island icon. You can set crab traps off the pier or fish it. Lots of day trip fishing guides. Take the family to the Sea Lab, then explore Fort Morgan across the street. Beach combing is excellent.

Gulf Breeze Link
Posted By: fredeboy

Re: Dauphin Island - 01/19/20 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Stub
Had to look it up, interesting. Good luck have fun up From appearance head north if a tidal wave is coming bolt

[Linked Image]

Does not look promising for ANY kind of storm surge! scared
Posted By: Hooker

Re: Dauphin Island - 01/19/20 09:13 PM

just think I've selected our future metal detecting site, now to the early history books
Posted By: Walkabout

Re: Dauphin Island - 01/19/20 10:11 PM

HOOKER looks interesting. Could ya give us the CLIFF NOTES version of the history when you finish?

Re: Dauphin Island - 01/20/20 05:05 AM

I have about 75 OLD treasure hunting magazines that I could be talked into selling.

Re: Dauphin Island - 01/20/20 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Hooker
just think I've selected our future metal detecting site, now to the early history books

What you need is to wait until after a hurricane. My first trip to GS, I got to the condo a few hours before Hurricane Nate hit. The next day, the beach combing was excellent.

Re: Dauphin Island - 01/20/20 08:35 PM

Thanks Cal,

That would be our intent

"the condo?" yours ?

Will let you know if and when it is planned

We sold the Casita and the larger camper, think we will just motel from now on, an age thing smile

Re: Dauphin Island - 01/20/20 08:58 PM

Hooker, Kim and I AirBnb a condo with another couple for a week's vacation. If you ever come, look up Alabama History Hunters and metal detectors on FB. They will gladly take you out for some field trips Then you and Betty can drive up north to Huntsville and I'll put you on some catfish!

Re: Dauphin Island - 01/21/20 02:19 PM

Thanks Friend
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum