Texas Hunting Forum

I was bamboozled by Firestone.

Posted By: Roll-Tide

I was bamboozled by Firestone. - 05/09/19 12:35 AM

If y’all recall, my wife’s 4Runner was shaking when she slowed down.
So I took it to Christian Bros in Murphy. I trust them.
So they call and tell me I need a few thing, but mainly the shaking was from my brakes/rotors.
I initially dismissed this as a cause early on, due to I just spent 600 bucks on brakes in January at Firestone.

Christian Bros quickly sent me photos of my brakes and rotors. So I call Firestone and get some flunky who says the shaking is tire related, without the car even being there. All I wanted to hear is “we will fix it”.
Which I eventually got.

Very frustrating. I’m no longer going to be Firestones bi/ch.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: I was bamboozled by Firestone. - 05/09/19 12:55 AM

The entire firestone family is a joke
Posted By: REALKILLER

Re: I was bamboozled by Firestone. - 05/09/19 01:11 AM

Bent rims can make a simple tire balance almost impossible. Just sayin. Good tires will balance out. A guy was tryin to balance some used temporary off season get me through the summer mudders for me one time. He said these federal pos' won't balance new much less used. I asked they from China? He said they ain't even that good.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: I was bamboozled by Firestone. - 05/09/19 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by REALKILLER
Bent rims can make a simple tire balance almost impossible. Just sayin. Good tires will balance out. A guy was tryin to balance some used temporary off season get me through the summer mudders for me one time. He said these federal pos' won't balance new much less used. I asked they from China? He said they ain't even that good.

There was entire thread about this problem from this member a month ago..... you should probably read other people’s threads more often....

Re: I was bamboozled by Firestone. - 05/09/19 01:26 AM

Hey, go Firestone! Not really, I like Goodyear. banana2

Re: I was bamboozled by Firestone. - 05/09/19 01:28 AM

This website has its fair share of titts. Watch out for that IED

Re: I was bamboozled by Firestone. - 05/09/19 01:28 AM

This website has its fair share of titts. Watch out for that IED banana2
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: I was bamboozled by Firestone. - 05/09/19 01:33 AM

You’re the biggest boob we have.

Re: I was bamboozled by Firestone. - 05/09/19 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter

He might be in second place but he’s close to it
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: I was bamboozled by Firestone. - 05/09/19 01:55 AM

popcorn
Posted By: BigPig

Re: I was bamboozled by Firestone. - 05/09/19 01:58 AM

You went to Firestone for a break job... that's like going to Chili's and ordering steak and being disappointed in the quality.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: I was bamboozled by Firestone. - 05/09/19 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by TEXASLEFTY

He might be in second place but he’s close to it

No, first for sure.

Re: I was bamboozled by Firestone. - 05/09/19 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by BigPig
You went to Firestone for a break job... that's like going to Chili's and ordering steak and being disappointed in the quality.

No......

It’s much worse than that BigPig.

I would have done it for free.

Re: I was bamboozled by Firestone. - 05/09/19 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by TEXASLEFTY

No......

It’s much worse than that BigPig.

I would have done it for free.

Ouch.

Re: I was bamboozled by Firestone. - 05/09/19 02:36 AM

I ain’t mad at you.....

When your tired of getting screwed, you’ll come see me.

I’m not going to charge you for a job that only takes a couple hours.

After you watch me do the job, you’ll be able to do it yourself next time...
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: I was bamboozled by Firestone. - 05/09/19 03:10 AM

I would not have taken it to either place to begin with either. Lefty explained why.

Re: I was bamboozled by Firestone. - 05/09/19 03:11 AM

Other than Lefty’s offer, pouring salt in the wound, I agree. Firestone isn’t a great place for a brake job. Sorry, RT.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: I was bamboozled by Firestone. - 05/09/19 01:12 PM

Firestone? You got what you asked for.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: I was bamboozled by Firestone. - 05/09/19 01:18 PM

Avoid Firestone like a plague. Took my truck to them for new tires. Told me I needed new rear shocks when I went back to pick it up. Handed me a estimate of more than $700 to install two rear shocks, a job that takes 30 minutes at most. Looked at the quote and noticed the guy had pulled a job item from the system that included pulling the rear differential, obviously to greatly inflate the cost of labor. Not a mistake and a tactic I'm sure has become routine. Remove the rear wheels and two bolts for each shock, remove and replace shocks and bolts, done.

STAY AWAY FROM FIRESTONE.

Footnote: Firestone's tire warranty (which is prorated) is absolutely useless. Got a nail in a sidewall with more than 50% of the tread still left on the tire and they offered me an $8 credit towards a new tire. Crooks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: redchevy

Re: I was bamboozled by Firestone. - 05/09/19 01:31 PM

Brakes on modern vehicles have come so far. I haven't done a brake job in years and up till last year I was maintaining 3 vehicles with 200,000+ miles one over 250k all on original brakes in perfect working order and tons of pad left.

Unless you have a warped rotor or put a lot of trailers without brakes I just don't know how you kill breaks on new vehicles.
Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: I was bamboozled by Firestone. - 05/09/19 03:56 PM

How did you get bamboozled? Did they not put new brakes and rotors on the car?
Posted By: Trickster

Re: I was bamboozled by Firestone. - 05/09/19 04:08 PM

I had bad dealings with Firestone years ago and never used them again.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: I was bamboozled by Firestone. - 05/09/19 04:16 PM

Expecting good service from Firestone would be like expecting good food from McDonald's.

Re: I was bamboozled by Firestone. - 05/09/19 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by S.A. hunter

Christian Bros told me my rotors were warped. Firestone said they replaced them. Christian Bros said they did not.
I confronted Firestone who replaced all my brake work without question.

Re: I was bamboozled by Firestone. - 05/09/19 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Roll-Tide

Christian Bros told me my rotors were warped. Firestone said they replaced them. Christian Bros said they did not.

When FS worked on her brakes the first time did it fix the problem?

The thing is, if they didn't replace rotors it would be obvious. The car would still shake. You could also run your finger over the rotor, and would be able to feel the lip left from being worn. It would take just one minute to check all corners for new parts. It would be awfully brazen of them to say they put parts on if they really didn't. I wonder if you might have a different problem.

Re: I was bamboozled by Firestone. - 05/09/19 05:43 PM

The thing is, if they didn't replace rotors it would be obvious. The car would still shake. You could also run your finger over the rotor, and would be able to feel the lip left from being worn. It would take just one minute to check all corners for new parts. It would be awfully brazen of them to say they put parts on if they really didn't. I wonder if you might have a different problem.

I agree, except for the fact they replaced the parts after being confronted with evidence. Seems like they didn’t do the work originally.

Re: I was bamboozled by Firestone. - 05/09/19 06:35 PM

I agree, except for the fact they replaced the parts after being confronted with evidence. Seems like they didn’t do the work originally.

Hell, even if I did replace all the parts and I knew it and I had a customer come to me saying they have problems with their brakes I would definitely have to address it. It's just good customer service. I would also walk them through and show on the new Parts.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: I was bamboozled by Firestone. - 05/09/19 06:53 PM

I always ask for the used parts to be put in the vehicle. Guarantees they have to replace what they said needed replacing and keeps them from replacing parts that don’t need to be replaced.
Posted By: cxjcherokec

Re: I was bamboozled by Firestone. - 05/09/19 06:58 PM

I'm with BP, and I'm upfront about it from the get go. They'll try and say, "oh we threw them away already" or "they were used as a core". From the get go, ask for all used parts and dispose of yourself and ask to see cores when you pick your vehicle up. Solves 99% of the issues, unless you dont have a clue what you're looking at.

Re: I was bamboozled by Firestone. - 05/09/19 07:04 PM

Hell, even if I did replace all the parts and I knew it and I had a customer come to me saying they have problems with their brakes I would definitely have to address it. It's just good customer service. I would also walk them through and show on the new Parts.

That’s true and a good point. Hopefully he will respond and clarify.

Re: I was bamboozled by Firestone. - 05/09/19 07:04 PM

Unless his argument is that they resurface them but charged him for new ones. I understand that argument but even resurface rotors would have alleviated the problem.
Posted By: Rustler

Re: I was bamboozled by Firestone. - 05/09/19 08:26 PM

You either deal with honest folks or dishonest, asking for the used parts is no guarantee, most shops have old parts laying around & most customers wouldn't know the difference between a rotor from a Toyota and one from a Kia.

A dishonest shop tried to get away with shady business and got caught.

---> Let's talk tie rods

Re: I was bamboozled by Firestone. - 05/09/19 10:27 PM

My wife said the shaking was better the first couple of days. But then went back to the way it was.
I assume they did pads but no rotors. Or refinished them badly.

Either way, Christian Bros said nothing looked new or resurfaced.
Posted By: Tbar

Re: I was bamboozled by Firestone. - 05/13/19 01:09 PM

My son replaced the steering rack on his Tundra a couple of weeks ago and took it in to a Firestone store to get it realigned.

They come out and tell him he needs a new rack. He told them are you stupid....... it was replace an hour ago and is the only thing that isn't covered in mud!!!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum