Texas Hunting Forum

Anyone here Kayak?

Posted By: Superduty

Anyone here Kayak? - 05/05/19 12:12 PM

About to pull the trigger on a kayak. It’s a 12’ Perception 12.0.

I am looking to getting into fishing a little. More about seeing nature behind the scenes. Rivers, lake coves, etc.

I am a little concerned about transport and getting Kayak to water accessible points. This Kayak weighs 85ish lbs.

Any advice here?

Thank you.
Posted By: Chickenman

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/05/19 12:32 PM

Kayak dolly. You can make one with pvc but the pre-fabed options are probably the best option.
Posted By: redhaze

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/05/19 12:57 PM

Texas Fishing Forum has a whole section on Yakkers.
Posted By: Gacman

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/05/19 01:20 PM

I've had a couple yaks. I recommend you buy a used one the first time. They are easy to sell a year later when you want to try something else. I've been on a few perceptions too, nothing wrong with those boats. They are good boats. I have a jackson coosa now that I prefer. It has a few more features, seat options, etc. Since I fish more from mine, I like the extra options. I bought mine used for $850, it was a year old.

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/05/19 01:23 PM

I debating on the 10’ Or the 12’. 10 would be easier to carry in my truck and to water.

There is a deal(used) for the 12, though.
Posted By: fadetoblack64

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/05/19 01:37 PM

Duty..........youre too old for a yak. get a proper boat.
Posted By: huck18

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/05/19 01:41 PM

I use my yak for hunting and fishing. Believe it or not a kayak properly brushed up and tied up in some cattails makes a great one man duck blind. Get the 12', especially if you're 6' or bigger. Like chickenman said a kayak dolly can help you with the trasport. I can put my 12' crossways in a short bed pickup bed with a toolbox. I've tailered 3 at once on a jon boat trailer for a hunting trip in Kansas.

You can get them from $400 all the way up to $2000, depending on what you want.
Posted By: MacDaddy21

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/05/19 01:45 PM

We've had a couple wilderness systems kayaks for about 15 years now. Great yaks. We carry or drag them to water. Once you use them enough and they get a few scratches you stop worrying about it. No need for any dolly.
Posted By: RayB

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/05/19 01:57 PM

Check the weight capacity, your body weight should be 1/3 the capacity of the yak and no more. If you weigh 250# the yaks capacity should be 750# or more. They get really tippy when you over load one. Remember ice chests are part of the math as well. When you're fat guy like me, 500# capacity yacks are the smallest I can look at. blush

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/05/19 02:00 PM

This one?

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/boa/d/rowlett-new-ki-lagoon-10-fishing-kayak/6852828278.html

Or this?

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/boa/d/fort-worth-kayak-12/6881518045.html

Thanks.

I’m 210 5” 11”
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/05/19 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by MacDaddy21
We've had a couple wilderness systems kayaks for about 15 years now. Great yaks. We carry or drag them to water. Once you use them enough and they get a few scratches you stop worrying about it. No need for any dolly.

Dragging across grass or mud you don't have to worry too much about dragging, but payment or hard gravel you will wear a hole in the hull in time.
It's plastic, and not that thick, so it can't take the abuse of rough surfaces for very long.
Also resale value goes down when there is a lot of wear and tear.
A homemade kayak cart made out of PVC is cheap, and hauling your kayak from a paved launch parking lot to the water is easy with a cart.
Also wear a PFD at all times on the water.
I'm a regular on the TFF kayak forum, and I can't stress safety enough for someone wanting to start kayaking.
There are too many stories lately about first time kayakers drowning, and the bodies not recovered for days.
Even with experience you should wear your PFD.
Why take the chance?

With your size, and I'm 1" taller, but same weight, I would prefer a 12' minimum length kayak personally, and I've owned a couple 10' in the past, but with that said, the first one in your link looks like it would be fine.
The second one you listed is an older Wilderness systems Tarpon. I had one a few years back that was the exact model and I regretted selling it to this day. It's stable, but I needed scupper plugs or I sat in water all day, (water can't drain from seat pan) but it was a good kayak.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/05/19 02:33 PM

I got a bed extender to transport my 12.5 foot kayak. My truck bed is short and kayak is heavy (not as heavy as yours), but it’s awkward and heavy to get on the roof rack by myself. This makes it much easier to transport. I think it cost me $60.

I built a kayak cart out of PVC. There are 100s of designs online, just google it and pick one you like. Or you can spend a little more and buy one at any kayak store or online.

I would also recommend looking at weight capacity, as mentioned above. I’m not sure if two thirds above your weight is necessary (but it wouldn’t hurt, especially if you’re doing big water stuff or carrying a bunch of gear with you). Mine has a weight capacity of 450 pounds. When I bought it, I was probably 210 pounds, like you. I felt comfortable in it and I’m sure I still would, even though I’m twenty pounds heavier now.

If you have access to a pool, I’d put my kayak into it and intentionally try to tip it to see where the tipping point is. Practice getting back into it while in the water, so if you do fall out, you know how to recover.
Posted By: RayB

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/05/19 03:04 PM

Texaskayakfisherman.com is another good source for advice and used kayaks. I forgot one of the most important items in my post, WEAR A LIFE JACKET!!!!!

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/05/19 03:09 PM

I get it on the pfd, I have owned 4 boats..always wear one.

Thank you all.

Probably should not have posted the links here, 12 footer was sold,out from underneath me.

Not in a big hurry anyway. Want to be smart about this.

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/05/19 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Superduty
I get it on the pfd, I have owned 4 boats..always wear one.

Thank you all.

Probably should not have posted the links here, 12 footer was sold,out from underneath me.

Not in a big hurry anyway. Want to be smart about this.

Do a demo, if time isn’t an issue. Mariner Sails, Panther Island (Backwoods) and Angler Pro Tackle are local and sell yaks. Go check them out and see if you can demo or if they are having a demo day soon. Backwoods rents them at Panther Island, but they probably don’t have any fishing kayaks.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/05/19 03:28 PM

You definitely need to be looking at 12 footers minimum. I have a 12' Perception Pescador I've had for several years and I'm seriously considering moving up to a 13'. Also consider that all plastic is not equal. Something you'll find in a lot of the cheap, lightweight kayaks is thin plastic that isn't nearly as durable or rigid as the better ones. Even my Perception is like night and day compared to the cheap Pelican I started out with. There are some really nice ones out there, but you can spend a ton of money if you don't watch it. I get a fresh case of sticker shock every time I look at them.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/05/19 04:47 PM

I'd really like to get a pair for my and the wife but just don't think I have the time to really enjoy it....she can't swim so there's that too..... bang

Would love to be able to cruse up creeks or around the bay chasing reds and trout.......maybe one day....

Post up pics of your setup once you get it......

I wanted the one cbump had posted for sale a while back....just couldn't pull the trigger for something that I most likely would use little to none....
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/05/19 04:50 PM

I don’t know anything about them

A couple buddies do and I’ve heard them say get the one with the best seat

About all I got on them
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/05/19 07:59 PM

You do want a kayak with a great seat, and get the sit-on instead of the sit-in.

I was at Ink’s Lake and there were two guys bass fishing from kayaks with the foot pedal drive and the dolly for dragging.

And talk to me about kayak paddles. My wife has 5 paddles. She always finds a new one that is somehow better than the one she’s presently using. I can make you a deal on a paddle.

She kayaks, while I have an 8’ plastic boat (sundowner or something like that) with a trolling motor drive. Great for fishing small lakes.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/05/19 08:13 PM

Holler at BRod, he fished out of one also lives in Arlington.
Posted By: Paluxy

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/05/19 08:34 PM

Mountain Sports in Arlington should have demo days coming up, good time to try out different kayaks. 12 footers are easy to turn but harder to paddle and track if you are going any distance. A raised seat sure helps after an hour or so of fishing
Posted By: Stub

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/05/19 08:43 PM

Could have used one on the West Fork of the Trinity river this am.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/05/19 09:12 PM

Mariner sails is another place of knowledge
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/05/19 09:37 PM

used to C1, hard to fish out of one tho.

Posted By: janie

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/05/19 09:54 PM

Been researching yak's for the past year. Finally bought a used one and got it out today. I am beyond hooked. NuCanoe Frontier 10. Reason I opted for this, was the stability. It's 39 inches wide. I tried flipping it today and couldn't. Yak weigh's 65 pounds which was another plus. As much as I despise the book of faces, FB marketplace is where I located it.

It's a 2013 model, but came with 2 rod holders. Dolly. Battery. 30 lb thrust trolling motor. Depth finder and anchor. All cost less than half for a new one. Be patient. Deal's are out there. If you can hold off til Memorial Day weekend, Academy usually has a great sale.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 7mag

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/05/19 10:27 PM

About to pull the trigger on a kayak. It’s a 12’ Perception 12.0.

I am looking to getting into fishing a little. More about seeing nature behind the scenes. Rivers, lake coves, etc.

I am a little concerned about transport and getting Kayak to water accessible points. This Kayak weighs 85ish lbs.

Any advice here?

Thank you.

Get on youtube. Tons of informative videos and some not so much. Some of those guys really know their stuff on yaks.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/05/19 10:38 PM

Open water
Bad, good, better seats
Paddle, foot pedal, or trolling motor
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/05/19 11:02 PM

I like Janie's idea of a "boat" to fish out of. Looks real stable, and the trolling motor is a bonus.

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/05/19 11:12 PM

This is what I am circling in on..opinions? Looks like good seat, storage...etc.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/05/19 11:13 PM

You'll love it. I hauled one from Texas to Kentucky lots of times. I had to get rid of it when I moved five years ago. Now, I have a great lease with a river and several great lakes on it, dang, I wish I still had it. Be safe, get a life jacket specifically for kayaking and warm up somewhere without all your fishing gear a few times. Nothing to it. Don't worry about the weight, they drag easy. Get a 10' if your capacity allows.

Attached picture 459360_10151882376098916_969554828_o.jpg
Attached picture 474491_10151882376333916_465161011_o.jpg
Attached picture 478755_10151882376698916_973456361_o.jpg

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/05/19 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by janie
Been researching yak's for the past year. Finally bought a used one and got it out today. I am beyond hooked. NuCanoe Frontier 10. Reason I opted for this, was the stability. It's 39 inches wide. I tried flipping it today and couldn't. Yak weigh's 65 pounds which was another plus. As much as I despise the book of faces, FB marketplace is where I located it.

It's a 2013 model, but came with 2 rod holders. Dolly. Battery. 30 lb thrust trolling motor. Depth finder and anchor. All cost less than half for a new one. Be patient. Deal's are out there. If you can hold off til Memorial Day weekend, Academy usually has a great sale.

[Linked Image]

Nice Janie. Definitely looking for the one with out the seat on the bottom of the kayak. Sitting wet is awful.
Posted By: huck18

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/06/19 12:38 AM

This is what I am circling in on..opinions? Looks like good seat, storage...etc.

[Linked Image]

If you're gonna go big. You might want to think about a 12' aluminum canoe with flat back transom for a small motor.

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/07/19 10:03 PM

Well I pulled the trigger. Had them on sale until the 11th. Here is a pic. 480 out the door.

It’s a Field n Stream 12 door Eagle Talon.

List of things I need to get now.

Life vest
Paddle
New Seat, this one has no padding and the reviews all say great kayak, but seat sucks.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/07/19 10:07 PM

I have that one. Bought it five or six years ago. Very goo introductory fishing kayak. Definitely need a new seat.
Posted By: RANGERRONG

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/07/19 10:34 PM

mariner sails will take care of your needs, ask for Dave Potts. 972 241 1498
Posted By: txmudder

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/07/19 10:34 PM

Nice setup Superduty. We have a double kayak and really enjoy taking out.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/08/19 12:13 AM

I don't regularly but I have done the Devil's River and I'm going to also do the Pecos.

I really liked the Jackson Coosa I used on the Devil's

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/08/19 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by BradyBuck
I don't regularly but I have done the Devil's River and I'm going to also do the Pecos.

I really liked the Jackson Coosa I used on the Devil's

I’d like to float both of those.

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/08/19 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter
I have that one. Bought it five or six years ago. Very goo introductory fishing kayak. Definitely need a new seat.

Thank you any recommendations?
Looking at this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075RHG44V/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2IVQUPZYRH73T&psc=1

Thank you.

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/08/19 12:57 AM

Looking at this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075RHG44V/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2IVQUPZYRH73T&psc=1

Thank you.

I don’t have any recommendations. Like an idiot, I never changed the seat out, but I haven’t used it much lately. My plan is to start using it again (or upgrading to a better yak).

Anything is better than the seat it comes with. Your link looks good.

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/08/19 01:21 AM

What’s up with the different paddle lengths?

Does it matter?

Man, vests are confusing as well.....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P26X0RC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/08/19 01:30 AM

I bought my paddle and vest from Dick’s when I bought the kayak. My paddle is adjustable in length and to feather it. I don’t remember any of the research I did on paddles or life jackets. I didn’t break the bank on either, but my life jacket is a fishing one. It’s comfortable and has pockets.

I’d definitely get a paddle leash and a waterproof bag to throw my phone, keys and wallet in. You should be able to cram that in the small hatch between your legs (the one that has the netting in it). Whistle would probably be good, too, if you are on bigger water.
Posted By: Misfire

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/08/19 03:23 AM

Congrats on the yack, you’ll love it.

My wife and I each have peascador pros. Mine is 12’ and hers is 10’. They are both great boats for the money. They are both stable and have decent storage along with comfy seats. A comfortable seat is a big deal. The only real drawback is that, for me at least, neither is well suited for stand up fishing. Other than that they are stable and fish really well.

Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/08/19 03:32 AM

Nice buy SD up Good looking yak
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/08/19 05:18 AM

Payed $180.00 4 this one
[Linked Image]
Done lots of canoeing & kayaking on Sabine...

flag

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/08/19 10:15 AM

Does it matter?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P26X0RC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

The paddle lengths matter if you have a wide kayak, and especially if you are sitting in one of those lawn chair type kayak seats in the high position. A 230 or 240 would probably be what you would need.
Paddles vary widely in price range, and the lighter the paddle the price is going to be higher. Any cheap paddle will work, but if you plan on doing some serious paddling, then the upgrade to a lighter paddle is a must.
I would recommend a kayak specific live vest. It would have a design where the back of the vest is higher on your back in order to allow you to sit and lean back in your seat without the vest interfering.
You will need a good vest that is comfortable, and one that you will wear at all times on the water.
The one in your link is a good one!

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/08/19 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jimbo

Does it matter?

The paddle lengths matter if you have a wide kayak, and especially if you are sitting in one of those lawn chair type kayak seats in the high position. A 230 or 240 would probably be what you would need.
Paddles vary widely in price range, and the lighter the paddle the price is going to be higher. Any cheap paddle will work, but if you plan on doing some serious paddling, then the upgrade to a lighter paddle is a must.
I would recommend a kayak specific live vest. It would have a design where the back of the vest is higher on your back in order to allow you to sit and lean back in your seat without the vest interfering.
You will need a good vest that is comfortable, and one that you will wear at all times on the water.
The one in your link is a good one!

Great information Jimbo, thank,you.

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/08/19 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by colt.45
Payed $180.00 4 this one
[Linked Image]

flag

Wow, now that is a great buy.

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/08/19 11:10 AM

Bending Branches has some good paddles that won't break the bank.

Bending Branches "Whisper" is around $64 to $100 on Amazon. Lot of good reviews on this paddle.

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/08/19 12:27 PM

WhooHoo! Nice yak Shane! up Your pup seems pleased as well. smile I picked up a Magellan paddle at Academy. 90 in long which I needed since my NuCanoe is 39 inches wide. That seat on Amazon looks amazing. Academy also has boat seats as well you may want to check out. For a PFD went with a fishing vest, since I wanted pockets to store some crap in. Only other thing I'm after now is a small, water tight box for the cell phone.
Posted By: Cochise

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/08/19 12:36 PM

You'll be happy with that kayak especially for the price. You'll want a longer paddle. Listen to Jimbo - those bending branches are good affordable paddles. I have had expensive kayaks and I've had cheap ones. I'm back to a lower cost one now since I really only use it during duck season - and right now since a lot of my lakes are too high to launch my bass boat.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned - a whistle or other noise making device is required by law. Must have a PFD and whistle on-board.

If you plan to be fishing before sunrise or after sunset - you're still required to have lights. PLEASE get lights - as a boater it is EXTREMELY hard to see kayaks at dawn and obviously impossible at night when idiots don't have lights (when they're legally required to do - before sunrise or after sunset).

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/08/19 12:46 PM

Looking at this.

Thank you.

I don’t have any recommendations. Like an idiot, I never changed the seat out, but I haven’t used it much lately. My plan is to start using it again (or upgrading to a better yak).

Let me know if you trade up, might take yours off your hands.

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/08/19 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by colt.45
Payed $180.00 4 this one
[Linked Image]

flag

Wow, now that is a great buy.

cheers Shopco going out of business, 40% off twas only one left... kayaking on sabine didnt have store bought paddle, ( referance to differant paddles in other post ) i took a 1by6 & cut my own paddle... Used kayaking & canoeing ta try keep upper body in shape, Awesome exercise & enjoyed my time on river.. Hoard road ta 14 roughtly 22-24 mile trip 14 ta Big Sandy road ta Winona 8mile trip... few log jams on trip when river low, but that gave it caractor...
flag

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/08/19 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson

Looking at this.

Thank you.

Let me know if you trade up, might take yours off your hands.

You got it. Thanks for letting me know. Probably won’t be until September that I look into upgrading.

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/08/19 09:16 PM

Oh no....now there are two!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I am going to sell the used one. Since I was searching so much, this deal came up and could not pass on the deal.

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/08/19 09:45 PM

The darker one is the one I have. Wish they’d change the front hatch and the seat. Both of those items stink. Otherwise, it’s a good starter yak.

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/08/19 09:49 PM

The darker one is the one I have. Wish they’d change the front hatch and the seat. Both of those items stink. Otherwise, it’s a good starter yak.

I can see why the front hatch is a pain to open and close, I do like the ability to store your rods and reels in there during travel to and from water.

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/08/19 09:50 PM

I am very tempted to get this one.

Ascend 12T.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/ascend-12t-sit-on-top-camo-kayak

Please talk me out of it. I like that you can actually stand on it.

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/08/19 10:55 PM

I can see why the front hatch is a pain to open and close, I do like the ability to store your rods and reels in there during travel to and from water.

Having the hatch is great, and being able to store rods in there is a plus. It’s just a pain in the neck to open and close the rubber gasket.

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/09/19 10:45 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I am going to sell the used one. Since I was searching so much, this deal came up and could not pass on the deal.

How much?

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/09/19 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

How much?

Pm sent.

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/09/19 01:15 PM

Ascend 12T.

Okay, I will. smile Shane, take a look at this one.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/pe...-top-fishing-kayak#repChildCatid=5098502

Same load capacity. Less weight. Wider platform. Try to hold off til Memorial Day weekend, when Academy, Cabela's, etc puts these suckers on sale.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/09/19 01:38 PM

if i was younger and skinnier

heck yes i'd be all over the kayak for fishin!!!!

but now............................hail NO
Posted By: MacDaddy21

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/09/19 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo
Originally Posted by MacDaddy21

Dragging across grass or mud you don't have to worry too much about dragging, but payment or hard gravel you will wear a hole in the hull in time.
It's plastic, and not that thick, so it can't take the abuse of rough surfaces for very long.
Also resale value goes down when there is a lot of wear and tear.
A homemade kayak cart made out of PVC is cheap, and hauling your kayak from a paved launch parking lot to the water is easy with a cart.
Also wear a PFD at all times on the water.
I'm a regular on the TFF kayak forum, and I can't stress safety enough for someone wanting to start kayaking.
There are too many stories lately about first time kayakers drowning, and the bodies not recovered for days.
Even with experience you should wear your PFD.
Why take the chance?

bang Of course you don't drag them on pavement... figured that went without saying. I was talking about unpaved bare ground/grass....you know, the type of stuff that usually surrounds a pond, lake or river. 99% of the time I just carry mine...it's really not difficult at all. Also, we haven't worn any holes through ours in 15 years of dragging them. YMMV.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/09/19 04:40 PM

Do ya'll use depth finders on these?
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/09/19 05:04 PM

Ascend 12T.

I'm thinking about this one. It's the hybrid sit in with a bonus of a 450# capacity, which is a must for me.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/ascend-h12-sit-in-hybrid-kayak-camo

That would be handy to use as a layout boat. Might go check them out.

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/09/19 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by snake oil
Do ya'll use depth finders on these?

I don’t, but I don’t use mine enough or have anything more than an entry-level kayak. Serious kayak anglers do. There are guys who put a lot of time and money into their kayaks and kayak fishing. Some have power poles, imaging, special trailers to tow it to and from the lake, etc.

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/09/19 09:12 PM

Check out these prices. Anyone want to take a gamble?

https://vosenm.com/fine/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=15
Posted By: fadetoblack64

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/09/19 09:34 PM

Wouldn't process my payment

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/09/19 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by takewhatyoucan64

Wouldn't process my payment

There is nothing about them if you google it and if you type in vosenm,com, all they sell is shirts and sweatshirts, no kayaks.

As much as I want a deal for a $2,000 pedal drive for $89 to be true, no way I’m trusting that site.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/09/19 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by LarryCopper

Ascend 12T.

I'm thinking about this one. It's the hybrid sit in with a bonus of a 450# capacity, which is a must for me.

I considered this Yak. I’m going to buy one this summer. I sat in it and the bar across the back of the seat didn’t feel very comfortable. I’m 6’3” 260 and it wasn’t comfortable for me. I have access to 10K acres with 30+ tanks and lakes 30 minutes from the house. I’ve been bank fishing it. I’m cheap and a fishing inner tube may be bought first.
Posted By: BDB

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/10/19 03:06 AM

Ascend 12T.

I have this one....actually 2 of them. For fishing I'd look else where. These are the best if not one of the best yaks for duck hunting though Imo. Lots of room for gear and pretty stable, although I'm never going to stand up in it while hunting. As a matter of fact I pretty much just use my yaks and boat for transport only. I never actually hunt out of my yaks. Other than farting around at my camp on Fork in these yaks....for fishing I just think there are better yaks. Fishing or hunting I'd stay 12ft or longer.

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/10/19 05:36 PM

Payed $148.00 for this one... price was right...[Linked Image]
Tried getting in & out on dry land bang had ta plop down in it, getting out had ta roll over... sit down one gonna be safer...
rofl Funeral at eleven...
flag
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/10/19 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by scalebuster

Ascend 12T.

I considered this Yak. I’m going to buy one this summer. I sat in it and the bar across the back of the seat didn’t feel very comfortable. I’m 6’3” 260 and it wasn’t comfortable for me. I have access to 10K acres with 30+ tanks and lakes 30 minutes from the house. I’ve been bank fishing it. I’m cheap and a fishing inner tube may be bought first.

I'm 6'4" 270# so pretty close in size. How did you fit? Is the seat something that can be replaced? Do you think you could use it as a layout boat in a pinch?

I've actually considered towing a yak as far as I can go with my jon boat, then yaking in from there and hunting from it. Lots of places that would be really handy.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/10/19 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by scalebuster

Ascend 12T.

I'm 6'4" 270# so pretty close in size. How did you fit? Is the seat something that can be replaced? Do you think you could use it as a layout boat in a pinch?

I've actually considered towing a yak as far as I can go with my jon boat, then yaking in from there and hunting from it. Lots of places that would be really handy.

I wouldn’t want to lay out in it and shoot unless it was pulled up on the bank. I think I’m going to go with this one if I buy new. I sat in one and it was very comfortable and has a 440lb capacity. It is $200 higher though. I’m still looking for something used.
Posted By: Cochise

Re: Anyone here Kayak? - 05/13/19 02:08 PM

Ascend 12T.

Not a huge fan of the Ascends personally. Tried a few out - for the weight/size they don't have the stability you think they're going to have. Standing isn't going to be as easy as you think in that one. If you want something to stand in you're better off saving up a little extra for a NuCanoe Frontier 12 or something similar.

I would not shop at big box stores. Go to Mariner Sails or Austin Kayak. More options to look at and you're going to get a better kayak for the long-term. Buy once cry once.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum