Texas Hunting Forum

First time for me

Posted By: Bullfrog

First time for me - 02/17/19 01:03 AM

Pull into the gas station for dip and there’s a Smart car with a wrap job sitting there with jumper cables hanging out the passenger side window and a little fella leaned up against the door. I get out and hear “please can you help me?”
I was a little nervous because I kinda thought they were electric but he said no it has a motor. Lol. I’ve never jumped a Smart car. Naturally all the puns come to mind but I could tell he was a good dude.

As soon as it hooked up to the truck, his fired right up. I tell him, hey, anyone in the elotes business is a friend of mine buddy!

Rico, from Rico’s Elotes Fanny keep on keepin’ on little fella! up

And get that thing fixed!
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: First time for me - 02/17/19 01:05 AM

up

Re: First time for me - 02/17/19 01:17 AM

Kind of feel dumb for not really knowing the power source of the car though. I’ve never once thought about it since seeing how small they are.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: First time for me - 02/17/19 01:21 AM

cheers
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: First time for me - 02/17/19 01:55 AM

Zoom Zoom
Posted By: JCB

Re: First time for me - 02/17/19 02:05 AM

Next time just tell him to pick his car up and put it in the bed of your truck and you will give him a ride home.

hammer

You did good. up
Posted By: Greg

Re: First time for me - 02/17/19 02:06 AM

One of these bad boys?
[Linked Image]
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: First time for me - 02/17/19 03:25 AM

clap
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: First time for me - 02/17/19 03:28 AM

Idk amigo gotta watch out for those sleepers

[Linked Image]
Posted By: dkershen

Re: First time for me - 02/17/19 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by JCB
Next time just tell him to pick his car up and put it in the bed of your truck and you will give him a ride home.

hammer

You did good. up

Exactly.
[Linked Image]

Re: First time for me - 02/17/19 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Greg
One of these bad boys?
[Linked Image]

That’s exactly what it looked like! roflmao just didn’t have the trailer.

Re: First time for me - 02/17/19 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by KRoyal
Idk amigo gotta watch out for those sleepers

[Linked Image]

Man I could probably think of a hundred other ways I’d go, body wise with all that suspension and tire to work with. up
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: First time for me - 02/17/19 09:25 AM

This might be a dumb comment, but when you jump a battery on a gas car, why would you think an electric car that runs off batteries not also benefit from jumping it’s batteries? And why would an electric car not have a motor?
Posted By: Chris42

Re: First time for me - 02/17/19 10:28 AM

Engine implies combustion. Motors don’t. Gas cars have engines. Electric cars have motors.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: First time for me - 02/17/19 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Chris42
Engine implies combustion. Motors don’t. Gas cars have engines. Electric cars have motors.

We have had a few threads about this before.....
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: First time for me - 02/17/19 02:12 PM

👍
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: First time for me - 02/17/19 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Ramsey
👍

Well articulated

Re: First time for me - 02/17/19 08:33 PM

Ohhhhh myyyyyyy Gaaaawd! I knew y’all would pounce on me about this.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: First time for me - 02/17/19 08:44 PM

I remember my first time...
Posted By: Cast

Re: First time for me - 02/17/19 10:06 PM

I’m sorry guys but I won’t jump start you from my Superduty. Just too risky. Maybe I’ll put a small jump pack in the toolbox.
Posted By: PMK

Re: First time for me - 02/18/19 02:05 PM

just be sure you are the one checking both ends of the jumper cables to insure they are on the proper terminal ... I made the mistake once of letting the person I was jumping their battery hook up their end (which they had backwards)
Posted By: Stub

Re: First time for me - 02/18/19 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bullfrog
and there’s a Smart car with a wrap job sitting there with jumper cables hanging out the passenger side window and a little fella leaned up against the door. I get out and hear “please can you help me?”

I guess it wasn't so smart after all laugh
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: First time for me - 02/18/19 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Cast
I’m sorry guys but I won’t jump start you from my Superduty. Just too risky. Maybe I’ll put a small jump pack in the toolbox.

Curious, why is it risky to jump start someone from a Superduty?

Re: First time for me - 02/18/19 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by unclebubba

I don’t think it’s anything about the super duty other than it’s a nice truck and not worth screwing something up when he doesn’t have to. Mines just a regular ol truck so I didn’t think twice about hurting anything.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: First time for me - 02/18/19 03:27 PM

I don’t think it’s anything about the super duty other than it’s a nice truck and not worth screwing something up when he doesn’t have to. Mines just a regular ol truck so I didn’t think twice about hurting anything.

OK, but I've never heard of anyone screwing up their truck by jumpstarting someone else....as long as the + is connected to the +, and the - is connected to the -, I don't see how it could. Am I missing something?

Re: First time for me - 02/18/19 03:52 PM

It all depends how jacked up the system is that you’re jumping. If it’s just a low battery, hook it up right and no problems. Say the vehicle in question has a short or underlying issue, it could mess with your computer stuff. So I heard.

I have seen many system messed with trying to use a 24V hoe to jump a truck off. Freakin idiots. It ain’t theirs so they didn’t care. Long Live Dolan Directional Drilling! I miss that place sometimes

Re: First time for me - 02/18/19 03:54 PM

Not just Superduty’s. Any vehicle with a computer is at risk when jump starting. Both sides actually. Any spark can blow your electronics, or theirs. Superduty is just crazy expensive to repair. My old friend and my auto mechanic Dan lectured me on this after replacing the batteries. He said never ever do it. He’s seen way too many expensive repairs due to jumping dead batteries. I’ve known him way too long to not take his advice. He runs Dan’s Auto in Boyd. I recommend him.
Posted By: Jon

Re: First time for me - 02/18/19 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Chris42

That's real a good simple way to say it. The motor/engine nomenclature thing is probably from back in the day when cars didn't have any electric motors except for the starter.
When i grew up it was pretty common for someone to say they blew up their motor and motor/engine were used interchangeably.
One of the most common automotive engine repair manuals back in the 60's and 70's was even named Motor's
[Linked Image]

Re: First time for me - 02/18/19 04:46 PM

I used that manual when I was a yute.

Re: First time for me - 02/18/19 04:48 PM

Not just Superduty’s. Any vehicle with a computer is at risk when jump starting. Both sides actually. Any spark can blow your electronics, or theirs. Superduty is just crazy expensive to repair. My old friend and my auto mechanic Dan lectured me on this after replacing the batteries. He said never ever do it. He’s seen way too many expensive repairs due to jumping dead batteries. I’ve known him way too long to not take his advice. He runs Dan’s Auto in Boyd. I recommend him.

That's real good to know Cast. I may just get a jump box to keep in my pickup for my own use as well as jumping off other people. Compared to the cost of repairs if i screw up my vehicle electronics, the cost of those jump boxes or whatever they're called wouldn't even cover the diagnostics.

Re: First time for me - 02/18/19 05:32 PM

You know this thread got me to thinking about the third kind of car we have nowdays - hybrids. They have motors and engines both.

I realize this doesn't have much to do with this thread, but may be interesting to some.
Hybrids have very specific and unusual procedure for jumping the engine starting battery and you better read the manual because it sure isn't like anything i ever saw and you'd never figure it out without that manual. Maybe some electrical engineer could look at it and figure it out but only thing i could tell was it was intended not to be done in the normal way. The starting battery is plumb in the back but you jump it off by connecting your cables under the hood where the engine is. At least on my sister in law's Toyota Prius that's how they do it.

I guess they want to be darn sure someone isn't mucking around with the circuitry for that big arse battery that runs the electric drive part for when that battery power is being used to run the electric drive motors.
I bet a screw up with a charger getting connected up wrong in that big battery system could have some spectacular results!
Prolly cost a few bucks to repair after that as well. eek2

I'm guessing that is why the engine starting system seems to be completely divorced from the electric drive system.
Took me a while to figure out how it could have a dead starting battery and wouldn't do squat when it had a big arse charged up battery that had enough juice in it to start a dozen of those cars all at the same time.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: First time for me - 02/18/19 11:13 PM

TEXASLEFTY Taught me this. Whatever he says, I do.

Re: First time for me - 02/18/19 11:23 PM

God knows your heart Txhogslayer. Is that where you wanna be when Jesus comes back? Driving away from an elotes-mobile without helping?
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: First time for me - 02/18/19 11:45 PM

God knows your heart Txhogslayer. Is that where you wanna be when Jesus comes back? Driving away from an elotes-mobile without helping?

You are in rare form tonight. No, I have a jump box. No hooking up.

If God knows my heart I am good.

If he only knows what people say about me...I'm screwed.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum