Texas Hunting Forum

Sheep horn removal?

Posted By: RLoving1

Sheep horn removal? - 02/12/13 04:18 PM

So how do I go about removing them to keep from bleaching them?
Posted By: Texan Taxidermy

Re: Sheep horn removal? - 02/12/13 07:29 PM

Put in a black trash bag with a few ounces of water and tie shut. Leave in the sun for a few days and they will slip right off. Gonna stink though!

Re: Sheep horn removal? - 02/12/13 08:52 PM

the skull is pretty clean already and have it submerged in trashcan full of water on back porch. When I say clean there is no tissue left and pretty white just want to slip horns off to get underside aired out and dried.Will keep checking it daily to see if they are ready...water is gamey!
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Sheep horn removal? - 02/12/13 09:09 PM

I have a friend who killed a Big Horn in Montana that put his skull in a large plastic tote filled with water. He did change the water daily till the horns slipped of to be cleaned.
Posted By: richm

Re: Sheep horn removal? - 02/12/13 09:56 PM

Texan Taxidermy is right, it's gonna stink, but that is the safest way to do it.
I don't recommend you pry on them either, the horns can get pretty soft and rip., once they start loosening up, you'll be able to wiggle them around a bit, One way to break the suction is to "Drop then on the top of the horn while they are still on the skull. Think about it, a Ram slams those things into another ram and they stay intact BUT DO NOT PRY up or out, you'll hear the suction break loose, then the horn should slide off.

Little Tip: if your planning on remounting this to the skull plate, take a very small drill bit (Size of a pen head) and on the back of the horn at the base, drill a small hole through the horn and into the skull cap.
What this does is when you go to remount the horns, it gives you the precise location the horn originally sat on the skull cap. Makes for a more symmetric line on the mount.
my 2 cents

Good Luck
rich

Re: Sheep horn removal? - 02/13/13 02:17 PM

GOT them off! Yahoo or yuk,your right about smell.I am use to it done a few euro's but the fermented horn thing was different. I slipped horns off and put skull in my truck to steam off a little here at work.I sat the horns outside my shop and my mastiff found them (like they were lost or something)he was so proud of himself...I wasn't! Good thing I noticed that pretty quick! Thanks for help guys! flehan
Posted By: richm

Re: Sheep horn removal? - 02/15/13 03:41 PM

Congratulations!!
Im not sure what most people do, but I usually fill the horns with BORAX for a while, seems to help with the smell and dries them out pretty good.

Re: Sheep horn removal? - 02/15/13 04:10 PM

I put some bleach to soften smell,ran out of Borax but will get more. Working on reconstructing elk euro that dad shot in back of head...bad idea! bang Am leaving JB Liquid Steel lines where have had to repair to remind him what not to do. Will fill brain cavity with wood shavings and epoxy and set bracket to wall mount rather than plaque...6x6 rack ain't lite!
Posted By: abilene3006hh

Re: Sheep horn removal? - 02/16/13 06:23 AM

boil them off
Posted By: Sevens

Re: Sheep horn removal? - 02/18/13 01:52 PM

I rotted the horns off a red sheep I shot so I could send them to my taxidermist. That, by far, is the worse smell I have ever experienced. To make matters worse, one of the cores had broken off and left a bunch of puss in the horn. My dog thought this all smelled great though.
Posted By: jbguide

Re: Sheep horn removal? - 02/22/13 05:21 PM

The best way is to boil them off.
Posted By: MikeBillington

Re: Sheep horn removal? - 02/22/13 10:03 PM

DO NOT boil the horns. Bag them or macerate them but don't boil them.
Posted By: KODIAK

Re: Sheep horn removal? - 03/03/13 06:29 AM

Originally Posted By: MikeBillington
DO NOT boil the horns. Bag them or macerate them but don't boil them.

Mike is correct...
Absolutely do not Boil....you will impregnate the oil and grease from the fat and meat into the horns and permanentaly change the color to very dark. Sheep horns are naturally dry looking and this will ruin the look in my opinion.

Also if you boil you can change the shape of the horn if boiled too long and they will be hard to get back on the core corrrectly.

Eric Wietfeld
Kodiak Taxidermy
Kodiak, Ak
907-486-4883

Re: Sheep horn removal? - 03/04/13 08:22 PM

I got them off and skull is just hanging out in sun light for now...airing out horns and just have to epoxy them back on.Need to get in gear and finish my oryx skull now.What do I wipe the oryx horns with to clean and bring out the true black color? Was thinking furniture polish?
Posted By: wildsidetaxi

Re: Sheep horn removal? - 03/05/13 05:57 PM

RLoving,
Use WD-40. It will replace the oil and give it a natural shine.

Re: Sheep horn removal? - 03/06/13 12:46 PM

Cool! Got some of that!
Posted By: smh264

Re: Sheep horn removal? - 03/21/13 08:50 PM

I'm thinking that the bleach isn't a good idea either. Everything skull that bleach got put on, became brittle and broke easily.
Posted By: BMD

Re: Sheep horn removal? - 03/30/13 07:09 PM

Originally Posted By: wildsidetaxi
RLoving,

Horrible idea. Just sayin.... Unless you like smell of Wd40 and dust collecting on the horns like flies on crap!
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Sheep horn removal? - 03/31/13 01:07 AM

Hate to let you guys in on a secret, but sheep stink.

Re: Sheep horn removal? - 03/31/13 06:20 AM

Originally Posted By: blackcoal

Sheep not so bad goats are the ones that stink!
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Sheep horn removal? - 03/31/13 07:27 PM

Originally Posted By: BMD
Originally Posted By: blackcoal

Sheep not so bad goats are the ones that stink!

I'm not going down that road. walking Point being when an animal stinks to begin with, normally it does not smell better after it is soaking in water for weeks. And sheep stink. barf

Re: Sheep horn removal? - 03/31/13 10:06 PM

Originally Posted By: BMD
Originally Posted By: wildsidetaxi
RLoving,

Horrible idea. Just sayin.... Unless you like smell of Wd40 and dust collecting on the horns like flies on crap!

Sorry don't mean to disagree, but the WD-40 smell will not be there. And it collects no more dust than regular mount on the wall. All it does is put the oil lost back in the horns so the don't look so dried out, but everyone had their own opinion.

Re: Sheep horn removal? - 04/01/13 04:06 AM

That is wrong wd40 is horrible idea I have been around taxidermy every day for the last 25 years and there is no reason to spray wd40 on horns.

I know you haven't been doing this that long and I am sure someone told you it was a good idea like fleshing with a power washer which is the craziest thing i have ever heard but it is not!

Re: Sheep horn removal? - 04/01/13 04:15 AM

Well I guess you know who I am then BMD. You can have your way and I will have mine. All I try to do is help people on here. There are so many ways to do taxidermy, some methods work and some do not. What is most important in the long run is that the customer is happy and we do quality work and provide good quality service to our customers. I enjoy this field so much and put a lot of heart into my customers trophies. It does not make me less of a person. I enjoy making people happy. Have a good day.

Re: Sheep horn removal? - 04/01/13 04:18 AM

I am not knocking you or doubting you believe it, but I truly believe that the wd40 advise is not good or I wouldn't have said a word. Guess we will have to just disagree on this one. cheers
Posted By: firehog261

Re: Sheep horn removal? - 04/01/13 04:39 AM

BMD you do nothing but disagree with everyone. I find it funny as you are not a taxidermist but you seem to know everything about everything. Wildside will put one of her mounts up against your dads any day. Just because you never heard of it or seen it doesnt mean it doesnt work or is wrong. Like Ive told you in the past, keep your mouth shut if you DO NOT know Brian! BTW powerwashing gets the hides done perfect if you use the right equipment and know the right procedure, but instead of asking you just assume. Just like the wd-40 for horns. You have no clue but continue to run that mouth.

Re: Sheep horn removal? - 04/01/13 04:43 AM

By the way. Ask many of the forum users that have used wild side and see what they have to say. Nothing but compliments. Just sayin, when you have people that have given up on taxi's then met her and let her work and praise her. Think shes doin it right. But who am I. Not a taxi, only know what I learned with her. But will not let you sit by and continously run your mouth about my wife when you honestly have no clie Brian.

Re: Sheep horn removal? - 04/01/13 05:16 AM

Central Texas School of Taxidermy is where she went to school to learn the art of taxidermy. Centraltexasschooloftaxidermy.com if youd like to visit and see all the outstanding write up on the instructor there now that she learned all these ways that u've never heard of and so then they should not work or are wrong. Or mayb go to school urself.

Re: Sheep horn removal? - 04/01/13 05:24 AM

Originally Posted By: firehog261
BMD you do nothing but disagree with everyone. I find it funny as you are not a taxidermist but you seem to know everything about everything. Wildside will put one of her mounts up against your dads any day. Just because you never heard of it or seen it doesnt mean it doesnt work or is wrong. Like Ive told you in the past, keep your mouth shut if you DO NOT know Brian! BTW powerwashing gets the hides done perfect if you use the right equipment and know the right procedure, but instead of asking you just assume. Just like the wd-40 for horns. You have no clue but continue to run that mouth.

I have no idea who Brian is, but ask any reputable taxidermist about fleshing with a power washer instead of a knife, lmao! My dad is deceased so obviously you don't know what the hell you are talking about. You haven't told me anything in the past, and wd40 shouldn't be used on the horns and power washing is not the way to flesh a hide and I am pretty damn sure there are plenty of taxidermist on here that will agree. rofl

Re: Sheep horn removal? - 04/01/13 05:27 AM

Central Texas School of Taxidermy is where she went to school to learn the art of taxidermy. Centraltexasschooloftaxidermy.com if youd like to visit and see all the outstanding write up on the instructor there now that she learned all these ways that u've never heard of and so then they should not work or are wrong. Or mayb go to school urself.

rofl

Re: Sheep horn removal? - 04/01/13 05:29 AM

By the way. Ask many of the forum users that have used wild side and see what they have to say. Nothing but compliments. Just sayin, when you have people that have given up on taxi's then met her and let her work and praise her. Think shes doin it right. But who am I. Not a taxi, only know what I learned with her. But will not let you sit by and continously run your mouth about my wife when you honestly have no clie Brian.

Not sure who Brian is and not running my mouth about your wife, opinions were asked for and I gave mine and stand behind them, no reason to spray horns with wd40, simple as that.

Re: Sheep horn removal? - 04/01/13 05:34 AM

Sorry to hear you dad passed. That i did not know. As for not knowing who Brian is I find that hard to believe as you use to live behind us.

Re: Sheep horn removal? - 04/01/13 05:37 AM

Like you said your opinion is your opinion. Everyone is entitled.

Re: Sheep horn removal? - 04/01/13 05:37 AM

I have never lived in Merit, so I have no clue what you are talking about.

Re: Sheep horn removal? - 04/01/13 05:39 AM

Like you said your opinion is your opinion. Everyone is entitled.

I agree, was not trying to offend you or her.

Re: Sheep horn removal? - 04/01/13 05:45 AM

And yes they are prob some taxi's on here that would agree. But I bet if showed the way to do with right equipment, they wouldn't disagree with it. Its kinda like the fire service. People hate change, change is bad, but when properly shown. They start to agree with it and it just goes with the flow. And as far as the hides she does go. The ones that get sent to the tannery ( ppl that want the soft tan to drape over their furniture). The tannery loves the way they are fleshed. No complaints at all. So must be doin something right. And btw. The last time you tried to run her down was on a guys post about him gettin his mount bsck in 3 months with her doin all tanning in house for mounts. You said that was impossible and he should watch the mount in case it spoils. We then posted the instructions for the tan. And he kindly asked you not to post on his post as he was extremely proud of his mount and her work.

Re: Sheep horn removal? - 04/01/13 12:41 PM

The good news is I did get horns removed! banana

Re: Sheep horn removal? - 04/01/13 12:46 PM

Yes it is RLoving. That is the most important thing. Congrats! Bad news... It was stinky. Good luck to you and your next horned trophy to take. Unless you take it to a taxi for a shoulder mount. :-).
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum