Texas Hunting Forum

Bobcat

Posted By: bigsky

Bobcat - 12/05/10 06:39 AM

I shot a dandy bobcat while hog hunting tonight and was wondering about mounting possibilities. The have two possible issues, however. The first is that I shot it with a high caliber rifle, since I was hog hunting, and the exit wound (abdomen) was large. This I am not as worried about since I am interested in a lying down mount. The second problem is that for fear of ruining the pelt, I did not skin it. I simply bagged it as best i could and put it in the freezer. Is this animal still capable of making a nice mount?

Posted By: TrophyCaseTaxidermy

Re: Bobcat - 12/05/10 03:00 PM

yes sir. You did the right thing by NOT skinning it! If you plan on mounting anything, let the taxi do the skinning. Big holes are nothing on bobcats

Re: Bobcat - 12/05/10 04:23 PM

great! now the million dollar question...who to take it to in the DFW area?

Posted By: tannerlst

Re: Bobcat - 12/05/10 05:17 PM

i shipped mine to LadyTaxi on here frozen. then she shipped it back to me done 6 months later. ive heard Flagg Group does good work and they are in dallas. i was real worried about my cat since most mounts i see i'm not too fond of when it comes to bobcats. but was very very pleased with mine from LadyTaxi

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/u...ack#Post1553365

Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: Bobcat - 12/05/10 06:02 PM

Allof the mounts ive seen from lady taxi were pretty good lookin.... cats are hard to do....

Posted By: cdola

Re: Bobcat - 12/05/10 06:20 PM

Call Gary at Superior Taxidermy - He is doing my Bobcat and his turn-around and pricing are excellent - I should have my back in a few months - Give him a call 817-337-3337

Posted By: ParkCountyElkDestroyer

Re: Bobcat - 12/06/10 03:53 AM

Do not take it to Flagg. I had a friend get a cat done there in March. It took them 3 months and the thing looked AWFUL.

Posted By: BMD

Re: Bobcat - 12/06/10 03:54 AM

Yeah I am out on Flagg for sure!

Posted By: BMD

Re: Bobcat - 12/06/10 03:56 AM

Ladi taxi or double D in rockwall no doubt.

Re: Bobcat - 12/06/10 03:57 AM

I picked up my antelope from this yesterday, and it was decent.

Re: Bobcat - 12/06/10 06:44 AM

thanks for the responses. ladi taxi sounds like the best option, distance and convenience not included. i'd really like to keep it in the area if i can. if not, ladi taxi it is. does anyone have pictures of cats from taxidermists in the area? thanks again.

Re: Bobcat - 12/07/10 03:19 AM

pics anyone?

Posted By: DRT Wildlife Studio

Re: Bobcat - 12/07/10 06:28 AM

DRT Wildlife Studio

Posted By: DRT Wildlife Studio

Re: Bobcat - 12/07/10 06:29 AM

DRT Wildlife Studio

Posted By: MikeBillington

Re: Bobcat - 12/07/10 07:50 PM

You can check out our cats on our website. Unable to post pics on here unfortunately but we do some very nice cats. A lot of our customers ship us their cats frozen whole as well.

Evelyn

Posted By: frognot

Re: Bobcat - 12/07/10 10:04 PM

I also used Sheila (LadyTaxi) and was very pleased with results. Here's a thread i posted last year with pics & contact info.

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/780857/My_Bobcat#Post780857

Re: Bobcat - 12/07/10 11:13 PM

thanks everyone

Posted By: Jack Todd

Re: Bobcat - 12/07/10 11:54 PM

A friend of mine got a bobcat back from flagg group and it was very good.

Re: Bobcat - 12/08/10 02:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Jack Todd

Are you joking?

Posted By: yotehowell

Re: Bobcat - 12/08/10 09:18 AM

Who ever does it for you, make sure they use a Mckenzie mold and nothing else. Mckenzie has the best molds out of any one out there. Absolutely don't skin it, the taxi will tube skin it.

Don't get in a hurry about finding a taxi since it is in the freezer. The best thing to do is shop the taxi's and see their work for your self. If they don't have any cats displayed that should tell you something. Anyone who is proud of their work will have plenty of options displayed for you to chose from. Good luck and show us some pics when you get the finished product.

Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Bobcat - 12/08/10 11:24 PM

I have two fine cats from the Flagg group.

I would recommend shopping around. Lady Taxi and Flagg are the only two consistant ones that I see come up on this forum.
Do not pick the best deal becuase there is a strong chance it will look like ...
They are harder to do

Posted By: Jack Todd

Re: Bobcat - 12/09/10 01:17 AM

Originally Posted By: jensent
Originally Posted By: Jack Todd

Are you joking?

i wouldnt post it if i was joking. its my opinion

Posted By: LadyTaxi

Re: Bobcat - 12/10/10 05:30 AM

Thanks for the comments about my cats ya'll! They are by far my favorite critter to work on.

It would be a pleasure to work on your bobcat...just give me a shout when your ready and we can discuss the options.

Thanks!
Sheila
580-317-7023

Posted By: Eland Slayer

Re: Bobcat - 12/10/10 03:49 PM

Originally Posted By: DRT Wildlife Studio
DRT Wildlife Studio

I hope you don't think that actually looks good.....

It's not the worst bobcat mount I've seen, but it's still bad. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Posted By: Texas Heat

Re: Bobcat - 12/10/10 08:13 PM

I think the other one he posted looks just a little bit cross-eyed too. Just IMO.

Posted By: cmc

Re: Bobcat - 12/10/10 09:11 PM

Bobcats should look like this:
http://www.wildlifeartiststudio.com/

Re: Bobcat - 12/11/10 01:53 AM

Those are unbelievable

Posted By: Texican

Re: Bobcat - 12/12/10 04:53 PM

Originally Posted By: cmc
Bobcats should look like this:
http://www.wildlifeartiststudio.com/

Those look awesome

Posted By: Dixie Kay

Re: Bobcat - 12/12/10 06:21 PM

I am scared to show you one of ours now after looking at the previous post. Those look awesome. Here it is anyway...lol

Posted By: hunter_131

Re: Bobcat - 01/09/11 01:36 AM

i'm gettin one done right now for $375. cheapest i could find. seen his work and i like it. he is cheap on deer to.

Posted By: Texican

Re: Bobcat - 01/09/11 02:32 AM

Originally Posted By: hunter_131
i'm gettin one done right now for $375. cheapest i could find. seen his work and i like it. he is cheap on deer to.

Who is doing it?

Posted By: hunter_131

Re: Bobcat - 01/11/11 01:07 AM

Don Johnson. he is in pendleton. he is small and does it on the side but its good enough for me.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum