Texas Hunting Forum

Deer tanning

Posted By: TEXAS OUTDOORSMAN!

Deer tanning - 12/05/10 02:41 AM

Any good places, preferably 1-50 mile range (but maybe more)from the Dallas area, that does deer skin tanning for a cheap price?

Posted By: population-control

Re: Deer tanning - 12/05/10 03:22 AM

North Texas Tannery in Denton. They have great prices

Posted By: Tx Deer Hunter

Re: Deer tanning - 12/05/10 03:26 AM

i am surprised that there is a tannery anywhere around here. My taxidermist years ago said it was impossible to get deer hides tanned as the chemicals they use are no longer on the market and it was too expensive?

Posted By: DRT Wildlife Studio

Re: Deer tanning - 12/05/10 05:14 AM

North Texas Tannery is awesome they do great work and that is who i use for all my clients animals

Re: Deer tanning - 12/05/10 01:53 PM

Estimated price for a small doe?

Posted By: Hughiam

Re: Deer tanning - 12/05/10 03:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Tx Deer Hunter
i am surprised that there is a tannery anywhere around here. My taxidermist years ago said it was impossible to get deer hides tanned as the chemicals they use are no longer on the market and it was too expensive?

He probably home tans his hides and wanted you to leave his deer with him. I can think of three tanneries in Kerrville, one in Houston, North Texas, plus at least 20 nationwide. In fact my tannery picks up my skins from me, takes them back to Michigan then returns them to me within 60 days.

Hugh

Posted By: luv2brode

Re: Deer tanning - 12/07/10 01:26 AM

do it yourself aint bad

Re: Deer tanning - 12/07/10 02:19 AM

Can you explain how to do it yourself?

Posted By: luv2brode

Re: Deer tanning - 12/07/10 03:51 AM

you can buy a tanning kit from cabelas or bass pro has the directions right in there then ya know what to get to do more.

Re: Deer tanning - 12/07/10 12:41 PM

Are they expensive?

Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Deer tanning - 12/11/10 10:03 PM

internet

Posted By: RedMan.45

Re: Deer tanning - 12/13/10 06:50 PM

You can spend 10 bucks and do it yourself easily. However softening it will be tedious. You can buy salt and aluminum sulfate. Thats all you need. Salt the hide for 2 days then shake it out and salt it again. Then mix 2.5 lbs of salt and 2.5 lbs of al. sulfate in 5 gals. of water. Let it soak for 14 days stirring once a day. That will tan ur hide. Once it drys it will b stiff tho so if u want it soft u'll have to apply so elbow grease over a board.

Posted By: Gigemags05

Re: Deer tanning - 12/15/10 12:24 AM

North Texas Tannery costs $32 for a white tail deer hide.

Posted By: proudveteran74

Re: Deer tanning - 12/16/10 09:40 PM

Originally Posted By: RedMan.45
You can spend 10 bucks and do it yourself easily. However softening it will be tedious. You can buy salt and aluminum sulfate. Thats all you need. Salt the hide for 2 days then shake it out and salt it again. Then mix 2.5 lbs of salt and 2.5 lbs of al. sulfate in 5 gals. of water. Let it soak for 14 days stirring once a day. That will tan ur hide. Once it drys it will b stiff tho so if u want it soft u'll have to apply so elbow grease over a board.

Can I do this same process on a hide with fur? I slaughtered one of our goats Tuesday and salted the hide yesterday. I'll repeat salting tomorrow(thurs.). I'll soak it after that then work it across a board to soften it and all that. I guess I'll use the brain tanning method in the end. This is my first hide and I don't wanna ruin it. Just wanted to make sure I can perform this same procedure on a hide with hair without loosening all the hair.

Posted By: A-BOLT

Re: Deer tanning - 12/17/10 03:26 AM

wow nice to know ive been sending hides to minn.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum