Texas Hunting Forum

Taxidermist screwed up - what options do I have?

Posted By: Bitmap

Taxidermist screwed up - what options do I have? - 02/08/10 06:56 PM

After I told the guy more than once that I couldn't afford a shoulder mount and wanted a Euro mount he calls my wife today and tells her that he cut the antlers off and apparently threw the skull away.

He says he can either do one of the "antler only" mounts with a felt or leather covered plaque of some kind with the antlers sticking out. Or he can order an artificial skull that will be almost impossible to tell from a real one. He says that will cost more. LOL at that. I guess I could cough up the $$$ for a shoulder mount, but I don't have any more money now than I did 2 months ago so that isn't really an option.

I'm too upset to call the guy and speak to him on the phone right now.

What are my options?

Will the artificial skull really look nice?

Here is a pic of me with the buck in question.

Posted By: BenBob

Re: Taxidermist screwed up - what options do I have? - 02/08/10 07:24 PM

Artificial skulls look pretty realistic, especially if it is hanging on the wall. But, what guarantee do you have that this guy will even do that? Seems like he has a mind of his own.

Posted By: Rowney

Re: Taxidermist screwed up - what options do I have? - 02/08/10 07:30 PM

do you have paperwork stating what work you want done? If not, i think you might be in trouble. the fake skulls i have seen dont look very good.

Re: Taxidermist screwed up - what options do I have? - 02/08/10 07:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Rowney
do you have paperwork stating what work you want done? If not, i think you might be in trouble. the fake skulls i have seen dont look very good.

No paperwork. This guy has done a dozen mounts for me over the years and no problems, so I didn't expect anything. I guess I learned a lesson.

Posted By: TrophyCaseTaxidermy

Re: Taxidermist screwed up - what options do I have? - 02/08/10 08:06 PM

I don't care for the artificail skulls, but I do have a couple extra skulls, that I could saw the anlters off underneath the pedicle and then saw yours off of the skull plate and then reattach the antlers to the real skull, you would not be able to tell anything had ever been done to it. It would cost the same price for a Euro. $125 (plus tax). sorry for the mistake that the taxi made. I hope everything works out for you

Kaleb

Posted By: CitySlickerHunter

Re: Taxidermist screwed up - what options do I have? - 02/08/10 10:22 PM

Seems to me, The Taxidermist ISN'T trying to keep Your Business. Whatever you decide, I'd p/up your antlers, without making a fuss. And put the antler on a fake skull & look for a new taxidermist for your next trophy/

Posted By: fordtough

Re: Taxidermist screwed up - what options do I have? - 02/09/10 12:44 AM

see what trophy case can do for ya, or go for the shoulder mount!

Posted By: bigdavehunting

Re: Taxidermist screwed up - what options do I have? - 02/09/10 12:46 AM

Does he remember you wanting a euro? If he does, the mistake is on him and he should make it good to you at no additional cost. If he doesn't remember, chalk it up to a screw up. If he's done that many mounts for you, whats his problem ? he should make it good.

Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Taxidermist screwed up - what options do I have? - 02/09/10 01:00 AM

And out of left field.....what kind of boots are those?

Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Taxidermist screwed up - what options do I have? - 02/09/10 07:26 AM

I have seen a couple of those fake skulls and on the wall the look real in fact, A friend of mine did one this year and it took me a couple of seconds to see that it was a fake skull.

Posted By: LadyTaxi

Re: Taxidermist screwed up - what options do I have? - 02/09/10 10:50 AM

Um..if the taxi screwed up-YOU should not have to pay for having a horn mount or the artifical euro done. We ALL make mistakes...but most of us don't ask other people to pay for them. Just my opinion.

BTW- would go with the antler mount done with wrapped leather on an etched plaque with a nameplate

Re: Taxidermist screwed up - what options do I have? - 02/09/10 01:48 PM

I spoke with the taxi last night. I guess it is one thing to tell a man's wife that you screwed up his mount and he will have to pay to fix it, and something else to tell the man himself.

At any rate he offered to do the artificial mount at no extra cost. He also said he would ask at some of the local ranches for a real skull and do what TrophyCase mentioned. This will be the 12th head he's done for me including 5 shoulder mounts plus a pheasant. I guess I'll go ahead and let him fix it. I've been happy with his work in the past and I'll give him a chance to fix it, but I'm not going to pay extra for him to fix it.

If I had the $450+ for a shoulder mount I would do it, but it just isn't in the works right now.

Thanks for the replies and information. If I'm not happy with the results I'll be in touch with TrophyCase about trying to fix it.

Fooshman, the boots are RedHead snake boots from Bass Pro. Here is the link: RedHead Snake Boots

I bought them a couple of years ago. For me they are very comfortable and with the zipper they are easy and quick to get on and off. The zipper is metal so it seems like it will last. One feature I like about them is that the soles are some kind of hard material and grass burrs hardly stick to it at all. My dad will spend 10 minutes picking the burrs out of his boots and I will maybe have one burr. I wish I could find cold weather boots with hard soles like these.

Posted By: abilene3006hh

Re: Taxidermist screwed up - what options do I have? - 02/10/10 02:25 AM

dude next time you shoot a buck call me i wont screw your mount up

Posted By: frognot

Re: Taxidermist screwed up - what options do I have? - 02/10/10 05:59 PM

Glad to hear you're getting it all taken care of. That's a fine lookin' buck!

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum