Texas Hunting Forum

Garland Public Shooting Range: No calibers equal or above 0.30

Posted By: Kevin1

Garland Public Shooting Range: No calibers equal or above 0.30 - 03/12/12 10:10 PM

Took a day off to go to the range and found out that I’m not allowed to shoot my 308. They have this temporary rule that doesn’t allow anyone to shoot anything equal of above a .30 bullet. This restriction doesn’t make any sense because it applies to 308 but they do allow you to shoot magnum 7mm calibers (like 7 RM).

So what are my alternatives to shoot at 100 Y minimum? I usually go to Top Gun at Leonard but they’re only open Thursday through Saturday.

Posted By: Flintlock

Re: Garland Public Shooting Range: No calibers equal or above 0.30 - 03/13/12 01:42 AM

I was out there today and they wouldn't let me shoot my .58 round ball... Or my .32 Roundball gun either.

Posted By: kmon11

Re: Garland Public Shooting Range: No calibers equal or above 0.30 - 03/13/12 03:00 AM

They have a court ordered stipulation of 30cal or smaller on the rifle range

Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: Garland Public Shooting Range: No calibers equal or above 0.30 - 03/13/12 01:12 PM

Originally Posted By: kmon1

That a crazy one there. clap

Posted By: Ron H

Re: Garland Public Shooting Range: No calibers equal or above 0.30 - 03/13/12 02:16 PM

It is part of a temporary agreement until they upgrade the berms.
At least that is the way it was reported in the paper. I would think they would mention that when you come in.

Posted By: redfishray

Re: Garland Public Shooting Range: No calibers equal or above 0.30 - 03/13/12 05:46 PM

Just called and confirmed nothing above a .30 cal on the rifle range ...but they hope to have it cleared up by the end of the month !

Posted By: JCB

Re: Garland Public Shooting Range: No calibers equal or above 0.30 - 03/14/12 12:27 AM

Originally Posted By: redfishray
Just called and confirmed nothing above a .30 cal on the rifle range ...but they hope to have it cleared up by the end of the month !

I sure as heck hope so!! From what I have seen the bullets being found in the neighbor hood in question are smaller bullets (223/5.56ish) not 30+ calibers.

Posted By: Glockaholic20

Re: Garland Public Shooting Range: No calibers equal or above 0.30 - 03/14/12 01:53 AM

I saw the news reports too and if you look at the map and account for distance and the change in elevation, you would have to be firing .50 bmg or better. Of course the Fox 4 news report didn't say anything about the shell casings found a few lots over from that Jersey guy that got shot. Go figure.

Re: Garland Public Shooting Range: No calibers equal or above 0.30 - 03/20/12 07:09 PM

They are now expecting to have it cleared up by the end of April.

Posted By: Ramsey

Re: Garland Public Shooting Range: No calibers equal or above 0.30 - 03/25/12 01:59 AM

Great range out there

Posted By: redfred

Re: Garland Public Shooting Range: No calibers equal or above 0.30 - 03/29/12 02:52 AM

Originally Posted By: jeh7mmmag
Originally Posted By: kmon1

That a crazy one there. clap

I agree. Sounds like another case of a judge or legislator making a rule that they won't have to live with, but scr**s with other people.

Posted By: jkmccoy11

Re: Garland Public Shooting Range: No calibers equal or above 0.30 - 04/06/12 01:01 AM

what about shotguns???

Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Garland Public Shooting Range: No calibers equal or above 0.30 - 04/06/12 04:03 AM

I don't know for sure but since the shotgun range "faces" a slightly different direction then I suppose they don't have any restrictions there. In addition, relative to [higher powered] rifles and depending on the shot, shotguns don't have the same range.

Posted By: Ramsey

Re: Garland Public Shooting Range: No calibers equal or above 0.30 - 04/06/12 12:20 PM

X2

Posted By: Ntgrty

Re: Garland Public Shooting Range: No calibers equal or above 0.30 - 04/06/12 04:52 PM

Shotguns at the end of the range to shoot clays are good to go

Re: Garland Public Shooting Range: No calibers equal or above 0.30 - 04/21/12 03:07 AM

What's the current status on this? Has anybody called them recently?

Posted By: Medic218

Re: Garland Public Shooting Range: No calibers equal or above 0.30 - 04/21/12 03:44 AM

Go to Elm Fork. It would be A LOT closer for you than to go to Garland

Re: Garland Public Shooting Range: No calibers equal or above 0.30 - 04/21/12 02:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Kevin1
What's the current status on this? Has anybody called them recently?

I called them last week. They are having a difficult time getting permits to build the berm. The State is saying they need federal permits and the Feds are saying they need state permits. hammer

They are now hoping for the end of May.

Posted By: Charlito

Re: Garland Public Shooting Range: No calibers equal or above 0.30 - 05/01/12 04:00 AM

I heard that they didn't have any insurance? BS of truth??

Re: Garland Public Shooting Range: No calibers equal or above 0.30 - 05/07/12 02:03 PM

Any word on this ?

Re: Garland Public Shooting Range: No calibers equal or above 0.30 - 05/07/12 04:03 PM

I just called and they said still limited to .30 cal and below ...they said things are moving though

Re: Garland Public Shooting Range: No calibers equal or above 0.30 - 05/21/12 04:48 PM

Went out there this weekend still nothing above a .30 cal....I like those guys very friendly and will continue to have my buiness. They did say that the work on the berm was to start in a couple weeks.

Posted By: dopey1k

Re: Garland Public Shooting Range: No calibers equal or above 0.30 - 05/24/12 02:05 AM

A bit frustrated with the .30 cal rule. Been out there a couple times still unable to shoot my .300blk. I guess i need to get out to top gun. I just have a hard time with the limited access. Really missing the Tom Bean range.

Re: Garland Public Shooting Range: No calibers equal or above 0.30 - 06/05/12 03:48 PM

Any word on when the berm will be fixed or when we will be able to shoot above .30

Posted By: Judd

Re: Garland Public Shooting Range: No calibers equal or above 0.30 - 06/05/12 08:10 PM

I shot there 2 weeks ago and they had. It even started.

Re: Garland Public Shooting Range: No calibers equal or above 0.30 - 06/05/12 09:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Judd
I shot there 2 weeks ago and they had. It even started.

I was there sat and mon .. I keep hearing a mumur about some permit .

Posted By: Judd

Re: Garland Public Shooting Range: No calibers equal or above 0.30 - 06/06/12 02:54 AM

Sorry...dang iPhone...that should've said "hadn't" not "had. It"

Posted By: REDNKROG

Re: Garland Public Shooting Range: No calibers equal or above 0.30 - 06/13/12 01:59 AM

Am I missing something here? When did .308 become not .30 caliber? .30 caliber or smaller sounds like .30-06,.308 or 300 Win mag should me fine. Just tell them its a 7.62 super.

Posted By: cyphertext

Re: Garland Public Shooting Range: No calibers equal or above 0.30 - 06/13/12 05:12 AM

I think the restriction is less than .30 caliber, not .30 caliber or smaller.

Re: Garland Public Shooting Range: No calibers equal or above 0.30 - 06/14/12 10:59 PM

Just talked to them and the restriction is 30cal and larger not allowed. The bullet that was in a house in Rowlett was a 30 cal fmj bullet. the only rifles on the range at the time the bullet hit the house was 223s. But the judge put the restriction of no 30 cal or larger on the range until the berm is raised. Still trying to get the permits for that.

Posted By: Gravytrain

Re: Garland Public Shooting Range: No calibers equal or above 0.30 - 06/15/12 09:49 PM

Good excuse for me to buy a 6.5!

Posted By: Fatalwishes' Wife

Re: Garland Public Shooting Range: No calibers equal or above 0.30 - 07/03/12 11:54 PM

That's funny that a .270 shoots flatter than a .30 cal .308 and you can shoot those? And a .25-06?

.257 weatherby mag?

Funny.

Re: Garland Public Shooting Range: No calibers equal or above 0.30 - 07/05/12 05:01 AM

Yeh you can.
There was a guy shooting a 7rm and I told the range officer that it's absurd that he can shoot his 7rm and I can't shoot my 308. He said that I'm right but those judges and lawyers don't have a clue about guns but unfortunately that’s how it is .

Originally Posted By: Fatalwishes
That's funny that a .270 shoots flatter than a .30 cal .308 and you can shoot those? And a .25-06?

.257 weatherby mag?

Funny.

Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Garland Public Shooting Range: No calibers equal or above 0.30 - 08/20/12 04:35 PM

I was unaware of the .30 cal restriction, and went out there Friday to see how effective the new reciol pad is on my 1895G. Looks like the restrictions are still in place, and they do not have a timeline on when they may be lifted. Seems rediculous to me that I can shoot my flat shooting .270 and .243, but can't shoot my rainbow trajectory 45-70. Just another instance of government intrusion wrecking havoc on an otherwise perfectly good business.

Posted By: Don Dial

Re: Garland Public Shooting Range: No calibers equal or above 0.30 - 08/20/12 10:18 PM

You guys know that the NRA has offered very reasonable ins for ranges for many yrs., providing they have 200 or more acres..JM
at our club in Bandera just went thru all of this a yr. ago..and
it costs him way over $20K to raise the berms, and build covers
over the pistol range, and use RR ties in front of the benches and on top at the rifle range so theoretically one cannot shoot
over the berms..I am sure JM also had more than that in Atty fees
when this was over..and you guys would be astounded at what comes
out of the woodwork when some neighbor wants their way and has an
atty..DD

Posted By: Mojo72

Re: Garland Public Shooting Range: No calibers equal or above 0.30 - 09/09/12 10:35 PM

Called them today and the restriction is still in effect. He was pretty vocal about it too...He told me I cannot bring my 300RUM but I can shoot my 7mm STW all day long. No 30 carbine but please bring my 7mm Weatherby lol.

Question, does that affect pistol cartridges as well? I didn't ask him.

Re: Garland Public Shooting Range: No calibers equal or above 0.30 - 09/09/12 10:55 PM

You can still shoot any pistol cartridges on the pistol range. But not on the rifle range. Yes I know it makes no sense. But kinda like congress when lawyers make the rules they do not have to make sense I guess
Posted By: 7MM STW

Re: Garland Public Shooting Range: No calibers equal or above 0.30 - 09/16/12 09:08 PM

Just a matter of time before that place is history. . .
Posted By: Hogfan1

Re: Garland Public Shooting Range: No calibers equal or above 0.30 - 09/25/12 02:36 AM

I called yesterday, and they said they are hoping to hear something this week. They claim they sent some sort of paper off last week and were waiting to here back this week.

I have a feeling when they finally allow .30 and up again, they will be swamped.
Posted By: shooterwalter

Re: Garland Public Shooting Range: No calibers equal or above 0.30 - 10/03/12 09:03 PM

500 yard range close to Dallas

Re: Garland Public Shooting Range: No calibers equal or above 0.30 - 11/05/12 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Hogfan1
I called yesterday, and they said they are hoping to hear something this week. They claim they sent some sort of paper off last week and were waiting to here back this week.

I have a feeling when they finally allow .30 and up again, they will be swamped.

Any updates on this?
Posted By: sbvx67

Re: Garland Public Shooting Range: No calibers equal or above 0.30 - 11/14/12 09:52 AM

Went out there last weekend and they have begun working on their berm. Should be any day now.
Posted By: RobD

Re: Garland Public Shooting Range: No calibers equal or above 0.30 - 11/15/12 04:00 AM

They guy behind the counter told me Nov 15th for the .30 cal ban lift, that was 2 weeks ago.

Re: Garland Public Shooting Range: No calibers equal or above 0.30 - 11/16/12 04:05 PM

Originally Posted By: sbvx67
Went out there last weekend and they have begun working on their berm. Should be any day now.

Is it less crowded than before?

Re: Garland Public Shooting Range: No calibers equal or above 0.30 - 11/17/12 03:16 AM

Not sure about that but see the story is to be on the Channel 4 news tonight. Will let y'all know what they say on the news.

Re: Garland Public Shooting Range: No calibers equal or above 0.30 - 11/17/12 03:36 AM

Well didn't really get that much from the news story tonight

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/20123119/judge-orders-gun-range-safety-improvements
Posted By: skeeter22

Re: Garland Public Shooting Range: No calibers equal or above 0.30 - 11/19/12 12:41 PM

I was there yesterday. Over .30 ban is still in place. I had my .35 Remington with me and could not fire it. mad I could have told them it was a .30-30 because you can't tell the difference unless you are paying very close attention. But, it wasn't worth getting banned from the range if caught. As a side note, the screens between the shooting stations are nice for stopping ejected brass from the AR crowd. But, the screens do NOT stop the gas blast. Do not shoot directly next to the right of anyone shooting with an AR.

Re: Garland Public Shooting Range: No calibers equal or above 0.30 - 12/10/12 04:32 PM

I went there the other day to shoot my 22lr and discussed with a range officer:

-The restriction is still in place.

-A guy from the city is supposed to come in December to validate the new installation (but with the holidays, they’re not very confident that they’ll be able to have quick turn around on this).

-They have noticed an important decrease in attendance, especially in this time of the year, as many hunters go to someplace else to sight their rifles.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum