Texas Hunting Forum

Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos.

Posted By: RobertY

Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 12/31/09 03:27 PM

Sausage Making 101:

I've seen several requests for instruction on sausage recipes, breakfast sausage and sausage making. So, I've done some in depth work to create a full photo and instructional
break down of how to do these things. Several people have many methods of making sausage, the methods I'm using are from family experience, passed down through our polish
roots.

Quick Notes:
We will be making 30 pounds of breakfast sausage, using TWELVE pounds of venison to EIGHTEEN pounds of pork.
I'm using a LEM brand .33 hp Model 779 grinder with a MEDIUM grind plate.
The pork is Boston Butt, avalible at any local grocery store or meat market.
Cut the bone out of the pork first. Then Remove the thick layer of fat from the back of the butt and discard.
Cut the butt in half longways, then into 2 inch thick strips for grinding.
The venison is de-boned, fat removed, tendions removed, and cut into grindable portions.
The venision was previously frozen and defrosted shortly before grinding. The colder the meat, the easier the grind.

Boston Butts:

De-boned and cut:

Venison and Pork (note: I will have extra pork left over):

First, clean EVERYTHING: Your hands, the counter-top, your knives and remove any loose clothing.
Place all of the de-boned pork and venision together on your clean counter-top.

Next we will season and blend the entire pile. I feel like blending seasonings BEFORE grinding really helps the season get deep into the meat, once you pass the meat
through the grinder. I've had better results this way, than blending after the grind. For some reason if you season after the grind, the meat tastes a bit powdery with seasoning.
Here is my family recipe for breakfast sausage with 30 pounds of meat:

1/2 Cup of Black Pepper
1/2 Cup of Iodized Salt
3 tbsp of garlic powder
3 tbsp of crushed red pepper
2 tbsp of rubbed sage
2 tbsp of crushed corriander
1/2 TSP of all spice

Pour all seasonings on to pile of meat and blend by hand thouroughly. Make sure spices become evenly distributed.

Now its time to grind.
Things to have handy:
Bowl of ice with water in the bottom
2-3 dry dish towels
a bourbon and coke

Start up your grinder and begin grinding. Every 5 or 6 chunks of meat, toss in a little bit of water and an ice cube every 10 chunks of meat.

Once you've ground all of your meat, clean your grinder by passing a handful of ice through the grinder:

After grinding, hand blend the meat again to combine into one nice pile.

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 12/31/09 03:27 PM

Now its time for a test patty. This is your last opportunity to make changes to the taste. Form a small 3" patty and fry it up!

PERFECT FOR ME!!!

Now, grind everything ONE MORE TIME. Use the same grind plate as before. The second grind will blend any seasoning changes you in and
put a nice final texture in the meat.

Once you've finished grinding, its time to divide all the meat into 3/4 to 1 pound portions, about the size of a softball.

Now for packaging:
Butcher paper, cut about 15" wide:

Place meat in center:

Up in the middle:

Fold down to meat:

Turn Corners:

Flip over and fold inward:

Tape to seal:

Venison and Pork Breakfast sausage from start to finish....done!

Posted By: cbump

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 12/31/09 04:21 PM

That looks awesome. I guess it is ok for the meat to sit out that long?

Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 12/31/09 04:26 PM

This needs to be put on a sticky thread, or whatever they do to keep it at the top. I have one follow up question. Why did you hire Brad Pitt to pose with the process????

Posted By: thegrouse

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 12/31/09 04:40 PM

Nice dude. Thanks I am going to try it myself this year for the first time ever.

Posted By: 7mag

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 12/31/09 04:54 PM

awesome, that looks like the bomb of the breakfest recipes

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 12/31/09 05:26 PM

I would really like a mod to sticky the thread, so new comers can try it out. I'm going to post the sausage stuffing thread shortly.

Bill....put the drink down...I aint no brad pit! LOL!

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 12/31/09 05:46 PM

One quick note!!!!!!! Brown, and freeze some for taquetos, before you make the patties. I use Jimmy Dean. I browned a pound this morning. It's tough to break up after it has formed.

Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 12/31/09 05:55 PM

Excellent job Robert. up
PTTT

Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 01/01/10 04:28 PM

Thanks for taking the time Robert!! Greatly appreciated!

Posted By: OFBHWG

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 01/01/10 09:30 PM

nice job sir!

Posted By: thorn4570

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 01/03/10 04:12 PM

that is great. thanks for taking the time to show it.

Posted By: jodster

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 01/03/10 04:59 PM

Awesome! Thanks for sharing!! Quite the set up! My favorite part was the test patties (more required please)!!!

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 01/03/10 07:09 PM

I just realized I left a small bit of info out. Whenever you are wrapping your meat in butcher/freezer paper, make sure you place the meat on THE WAXY SIDE of the paper. I'm sorry, I forgot to add this. If you put it on the other side of the paper, it will soak up juice and get all soggy.

Thanks for the compliments guys! Glad to help!

Any other requests, let me know.

Posted By: Justin T

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 01/06/10 04:54 PM

I make mine almost the same way you do, except you can keep the sage, corriander, and allspice.

The only herb I add is oregano. I do sometimes add onion powder as well.

Also, A piece of bread helps clean out your grinder better than ice does.

Posted By: Justin T

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 01/06/10 04:56 PM

Forgot, great post! Love the pictures.

And for storage, if you have a vacuum sealer, I prefer that to butcher paper. I've eaten it 2 years later (found it in the back of the fridge) and it was still great.

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 01/06/10 06:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Justin T
And for storage, if you have a vacuum sealer, I prefer that to butcher paper.

I totally agree. I've done the same myself. It also thaws quicker when you're ready to eat.

In this case, I was doing about 45 packages, so that would have been quite a long process and expensive. I usually give about 20 or so away, so butcher paper works for me. Packaged this way will last 8 months to a year, then is does get pretty burned. But by then, its deer season again smile

Posted By: yanta61

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 01/06/10 07:36 PM

you could also get the 1 lb bags from cabellas or other online places and use your stuffer to pack them.......
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...-All-Categories

they average from $.03 to $.10 per bag depending on were you get them.... i like them because you can cut them frozen and have nice little patties

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 01/06/10 08:26 PM

Originally Posted By: yanta61
you could also get the 1 lb bags from cabellas or other online places and use your stuffer to pack them.......
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...-All-Categories

they average from $.03 to $.10 per bag depending on were you get them.... i like them because you can cut them frozen and have nice little patties

Great link!
I've used those before too, and the worked out nice. I took my sausage stuffing tube and used it to fill the bags nice and tight.

Posted By: azcoyote

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 01/07/10 01:02 PM

Thanks for taking the time and effort to help the rest of us out!! It is appreciated!!! up

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 01/07/10 03:39 PM

No problem guys, I enjoy posting this stuff, because ya'll actually try it and give feed back.

Thanks for the compliments.

Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 01/08/10 04:40 AM

Robert.... I've made a fair bit of sausage over more years than I really want to think about these days. I tried your recipe tonight. That has to be the best dang breakfast sausage I've ever had.

I really appreciate you sharing it. up

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 01/08/10 10:57 AM

wow! Thanks man!

Posted By: retfuz

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 01/09/10 01:15 AM

My wife is still trying to get over the bean recipe you posted. Dang, they were good. The little "exhaust issue" will probably fade with time, I hope. Thanks Again, Robert. U Da Man!!!

Posted By: drdavidovich

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 01/11/10 02:11 PM

Outstanding post, great work.

Posted By: Scurvy Dog

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 01/20/10 10:01 PM

Very Nice! Thanks for the time and effort!

Posted By: DSST_Construction

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 02/14/10 07:31 AM

that was great, im going to try that ice cleaning thing next season

Posted By: Tres

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 02/14/10 08:00 AM

Good stuff Robert, that's the way to do it! cheers

Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 02/19/10 05:12 PM

Great job Robert Thanks

Posted By: caddokiller

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 02/23/10 03:03 AM

Awesome!

Posted By: nuprofessor

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 07/15/10 12:04 PM

I don't remember this recipe from the first time it was published. I don't know why, because it is great.

As for the freezing- I buy 1# bulk plastic bags on EBay for about 8 cents apiece. I put ANY (deer, buffalo, duck, goose, pork) ground meat I make in it.

Posted By: Longhunter

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 07/30/10 06:32 PM

I also like to vacuum pack... Sounds like a great recipe!

Posted By: MVILL

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 08/05/10 05:57 AM

Awesome job thanks for taking the time to give us a step by step guide for B-fast sausage

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 08/05/10 06:25 PM

You're Welcome!

Thanks for the compliments!

Posted By: DoubleB20

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 08/10/10 06:37 PM

Nice write-up. I mix more venison with the pork. Prefer to use feral hog and then buy some pork fat from Kennedy's in Weatherford (50lbs is about $20). Then mix the meat:fat mixture 70:30 by weight. I have the same grinder and use the coarse grind first, then hand mix the seasoning, place in large container and leave in refrig overnight then use a more fine grind and stuff in the bags. You should look into this packaging system for your burger and breakfast sausage - cheap and fast! (http://www.lemproducts.com/product/ground_meat_packaging_system/bags_tape) I bought 1000 of the 2# bags about 8 yrs ago and still have about half of them left. I'm going to try your seasoning mix next time. I normally buy mine from www.clifcospicesales.com about $5 and will do 50lbs. Look forward to your stuffed sausage post.

I'm hungry!

Posted By: Henryseale

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 08/11/10 04:15 AM

Why do you add a little water and ice during the grinding?

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 08/12/10 02:10 AM

It helps lubricate the grinder and keeps the meat moving through the chute. It makes a HUGE difference. It also aids in keeping the meat cold, which also grinds better.

Double: My sausage post was made already, this thread is pretty old. Read it here: Sausage Making 101 - stuffing

GOOD LORDY I WAS OVERWEIGHT in these threads!! Too much sausage! I'm 27 pounds lighter now smile

Posted By: Scurvy Dog

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 08/12/10 03:42 AM

[quote=RobertYuras]It helps lubricate the grinder and keeps the meat moving through the chute. It makes a HUGE difference. It also aids in keeping the meat cold, which also grinds better.

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 11/23/10 05:35 PM

This needs to be back on page 1 during deer season. Kroger has butts on slae for a dollar a pound this week. I'm doing country style ribs for our next Floresville trial. They usually go on sale with the butts. If not I'll try to get the butcher to cut up a couple of butts, or bone them out for bonless country style ribs.

Posted By: Old_Town

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 11/24/10 12:47 PM

Great write up and pictures. Thanks.

Posted By: 7mag

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 12/16/10 04:26 PM

Robert one question and may seem silly. You say you freeze your venison first?? Then grind it ect and make into sausage correct??? I am sure after making into sausage it goes back in the freezer, till ready to be eaten. Is it ok to do that?? freeze, thaw and refreeze??? Not being a smart alec and I am going to give this a shot as I just got a gridner. But kinda leary on freezing then grinding then refreezing?? Make sense??

Posted By: Tx_Phantom

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 12/17/10 04:47 PM

I've been doing my own deer burger grind for the last 3 seasons and it sure is tons better (and cheaper) than anything i ever got from a processor... I am saving and printing this...

THANKS for such detail!

Mark

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 12/20/10 02:30 PM

7mag: I certainly understand your concern and several people ask that question. I certainly don't think you're questioning my integrity.

Think of it this way: 100% of our pork that we eat has been frozen prior to sale. Then you take it home and re-freeze it again, just to thaw it and eat it. Same with most fish, sea food and some beef. To me, its not the freezing process that "taints" the meat, its the contamination that happens during the "thawed" period. I will say that the addition of pork during this process DOES shorten the life span of the the meat. Venison in its pure form can be held for 3 years in a vacuum packed bag, pork cannot. I recommend eating the breakfast sausage within about 5-6 months (tops). Its certainly best within the first 3 months of making it.

On that same note, we have discovered that some seasonings (such as cavenders Greek seasoning) tend to have an ill effect on the meat's life span. Every year I make some with cavenders for hamburgers and this must be eaten within 2 months. I haven't found the reason yet, but I'm assuming it has to do with a preservative within the seasoning.

Thanks for the compliments fellas, if ya'll have any questions please ask. Any requests?? I'm about to do a deer I shot yesterday into sausage.

Posted By: 209HUNTER

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 12/21/10 02:14 AM

Robert my dad and I are going to be making breakfast sausage and smoked sausage in about a month. I saw your post on stuffing sausage, but it did not show the recipe. Can you pose the recipe you use? I plan on making the sausage fresh, and not cooking it prior to freezing.

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 12/21/10 02:40 PM

Sure!

"Simple" Polish Grilling/Boiling sausage ingredients:

Kosher salt
Black pepper
Red pepper flakes
Garlic water
Onion powder

I can't think of the amounts off the top of my head. As I recommended previously, always make test patties prior to stuffing. I would say for about 20 pounds of venison/pork mix your probably need around 1/4 cup of salt, 1/8th cup of pepper, 4-6 tblsp red pepper, 4-6 tblsp onion powder and garlic water till the mix becomes glossy and wet.(this is added after the 2nd grind). Like I said, those amounts are GUESSES.

To make garlic water: Boil 1-2 cups of water, shell out 5-10 cloves of garlic and boil in water for a good 10-15 minutes. Discard garlic and save water. Let cool ALL THE WAY to room temp.
Mix into meat.

Once the meat is stuffed and tied, smoke with cold smoke, using mesquite and oak for 3-4 hours in a cool dry room. Remove from smoke and vacuum pack, then freeze.

IF YOU WANT, I have several friends that will add curing salt to ALL of their mixture, so they can decide at the time of meat removal if they want to let a few links hang for dry sausage.

Good luck!

Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 12/21/10 07:16 PM

That is an excellent post. Do you run a processing place?

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 12/21/10 08:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Huntmaster
That is an excellent post. Do you run a processing place?

Nope, just polish. smile Thanks!

Posted By: Big Pa

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 12/22/10 02:44 PM

That is great. Thanks for sharing. Will be trying this one.

Posted By: fredycleark

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 12/22/10 04:11 PM

Hi friends,
I read your article and I really like your recipe.The recipe is awesome to make and eat.You give every detail to make the recipe very well.I am try to make this recipe at home at Sunday.I think I will make very well sausage as you teach.And this sausage I will share with my friends I think they like my first sausage made by me.Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Posted By: LRS

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 01/11/11 06:37 PM

I stuffed about 30 pounds of sausage this weekend. I just used premixed seasoning, I think it was LEM brand, something like that.
Anyhow your photos and instructions were very helpful.

Posted By: llanite

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 01/17/11 07:07 PM

Yep, great thread. A couple things I do different...

Mix the spices in about a pint of ice water. This helps distribute the spices easier.

3 parts venison, 2 parts pork butts, 1 part bacon ends and pieces.

Stuff in tubes. Thaw a tube and squeeze out as needed, reseal with twist tie. Remainder will last a week or so in fridge.

Posted By: LRS

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 01/17/11 11:01 PM

I mixed, stuffed and vacuum packed another batch this weekend.
This was brautwurst sausage, turned out pretty good.
I did not smoke it, it was packaged as raw sausage.
I did the numbers, I now have enough sausage to last about 3 years, assuming I eat 1 pack a week.

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 11/28/11 02:30 PM

I figured this needs to go to the top again. I'm seeing lots of threads about this stuff (and I even got some PM requests).

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 11/28/11 02:52 PM

Thanks for bumping it up. Going to try making some next wknd

Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 11/29/11 12:40 AM

Nice post sir, thanks!

Posted By: MadDog1

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 01/21/12 05:34 PM

Extremely helpful. Thanks.

Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 02/07/12 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By: llanite
Yep, great thread. A couple things I do different... . . 3 parts venison, 2 parts pork butts, 1 part bacon ends and piece.

x2 on the Bacon Ends and Pieces! Takes it up a notch!
Wright brand - 3lb pack = $6. Adds a nice delicate smokey flavor, without having to do all the smoking work!

Thanks to OP for posting pics and method/recipe. Same as our family has been using for decades - (yep, I'm part polish too - ha ha).

Posted By: texfork

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 02/11/12 05:57 PM

bumgreat recipie , Thanks

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 08/17/12 07:28 PM

mark

Posted By: Mr Lebowski

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 08/17/12 10:03 PM

Awesome post!

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 10/02/12 11:31 AM

yes it is
Posted By: donswin

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 10/03/12 07:46 PM

What a timely post. I was just thinking I would process my own deer and hog this season & wondered where to get a good breakfast sausage recipe.

Thanks!

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 12/22/12 07:35 PM

mark
Posted By: pnfireman

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 12/28/12 06:38 AM

Tag
Posted By: mdcamp

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 01/05/13 12:06 AM

saving this one for sure thanks
Posted By: n-all

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 01/12/13 11:48 PM

Ive made my own aswell..when I cook it though I put just a dab of olive oil in the pan..works really good..
Posted By: rick13

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 02/02/13 09:27 PM

Very nice will have to give it a try.
Posted By: weldon

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 11/12/13 11:29 PM

Great post
Posted By: Parttime

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 11/18/13 09:09 PM

Sounds good.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Step By Step Guide: Venison/Pork Breakfast Sausage w/photos. - 11/23/13 03:27 AM

up up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum