Texas Hunting Forum

Can you buy Alligator in North Texas?

Posted By: uthornfan

Can you buy Alligator in North Texas? - 09/17/09 12:49 AM

As the title says, I was wondering if you can buy alligator meat anywhere in the Dallas/Fort Worth area? I have never seen it at places like Central Market or Whole Foods so I am figuring that if it is available, it is at a specialty market. Anyone have any leads on where to purchase any? If all else fails, I can order it from Louisiana and have it shipped but I was hoping to buy local. Thanks.

Aside: I had no idea where to post this question and while this isn't a recipe, it is food related so I posted it in this forum.

Posted By: tthame1

Re: Can you buy Alligator in North Texas? - 09/23/09 01:39 AM

I haven't found any yet. I've tried a few of the fresh seafood markets. I'd love to find some locally rather than having family send me some. I have to cook my annual Alligator Sauce Piquante for the LSU vs Florida game in a few weeks.

Re: Can you buy Alligator in North Texas? - 09/23/09 04:37 AM

tthame1,
I just received a private message saying to check out Brookshire's. The poster said he used to be a meat manager at one and at that time, he carried it so other stores may carry it also.

Re: Can you buy Alligator in North Texas? - 09/23/09 04:07 PM

I found somewhere that carries it in stock this morning. Captain Dave's Seafood in Plano. Its a great place. I've bought Crawfish from them before. Not sure why I never called them about Alligator.

Captain Dave's Seafood
700 Alma Dr # 104
Plano, TX 75075-8800
(972) 424-3474

$8.95/lb sold in 1 lb packages.

btw, I called Brookshires and the stores I talked to in the area do not carry Alligator.

How are you planning to cook it?

Posted By: CatfishJr.

Re: Can you buy Alligator in North Texas? - 09/23/09 05:03 PM

Gormans Meat Market in Terrell, TX.
(972) 524-5353
1738 N Frances St
Terrell, TX
He always has exotic meats in stock

Re: Can you buy Alligator in North Texas? - 09/25/09 09:33 PM

Not really sure how I am going to cook it. I have family in Louisiana so I will probably give them a call. My favorite way to eat alligator is blackened, but I am always open to trying new things so I am open to suggestions.

Re: Can you buy Alligator in North Texas? - 09/26/09 03:49 PM

Try cooking a Sauce Piquante with it. That's my favorite way to cook it.

Posted By: Brandon972

Re: Can you buy Alligator in North Texas? - 09/27/09 01:46 AM

Why eat gator ?? It tast just like chicken !! confused2 roflmao

Re: Can you buy Alligator in North Texas? - 09/27/09 02:08 AM

Originally Posted By: tthame1
Try cooking a Sauce Piquante with it. That's my favorite way to cook it.

I will try that. I have a Tony Chachere's cookbook that has a ton of different gator recipes in it, including sauce piquante so I will give that a shot.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum