Texas Hunting Forum

Breading fish / shrimp

Posted By: Biscuit

Breading fish / shrimp - 03/06/24 12:36 AM

Give me your best recipe, exactly how you do it . I need to try something different
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Breading fish / shrimp - 03/06/24 12:47 AM

You want dry or batter?
Posted By: 1955

Re: Breading fish / shrimp - 03/06/24 12:59 AM

popcorn
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Breading fish / shrimp - 03/06/24 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw
You want dry or batter?

I like cornmeal type..
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Breading fish / shrimp - 03/06/24 01:16 AM

As a salty that fries fresh fish & shrimp all the time, and has literally roflmao spent years working on the right mix for this.......

Buy Blue Bag Louisiana, dip in milk or water, lightly bread and fry crisp in hot oil.

I am always disappointed by all fried fish in any restaurant here.

Kids talked me into a restaurant Sunday. Not good. Fish was nasty, then when leaving I saw the cook. He looked like he knew what he was doing.

Big ol' flounder filet dredged in plain flour, fried until almost done and layed on a plate fresh out the grease to fall apart in a puddle of cooking oil.

Kids liked it though and ate it, but not at all representative of how we used to fry seafood around here and I'm getting tired of it.

Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: Breading fish / shrimp - 03/06/24 01:28 AM

For two pounds (before pealing) of shrimp.

Crack two eggs in a bowl. Add about three tablespoons of all-purpose flour, and about a tablespoon each of salt, pepper, garlic powder and smoked paprika. Beat it all together to make a thick slurry. Put the shrimp in the slurry, mix well and let it sit in the fridge for an hour or so.

In a large bowl, mix about two cups of yellow corn meal and two tablespoons of Paul Prudhome's Seafood Magic. Put three or four shrimp at a time in the corn meal mix and shake it around until the shrimp are lightly coated. Remove the shrimp to a platter and repeat the process until all the shrimp are coated.

Fry those suckers in 350 degree vegetable oil - but be sure to not overcook them.

The same process works with fish filets..
Posted By: Blank

Re: Breading fish / shrimp - 03/06/24 02:28 AM

You asked for breading shrimp or fish, which to me implies using some flour in the mix. You can also put in a little corn starch. Too heavy and you may as well batter them!

I prefer strictly a meal mix, of half yellow and half white cornmeal. Add the seasonings you like but you can't go too light, as the taste changes a lot when cooked. Salt, pepper, garlic powder, cayenne, crushed red pepper flakes, Old Bay, or any creole mix like Tony Chacere. Use one egg and an equal amount of water in your wash; you want wet but not eggy. Coat heavily, lay on a paper plate or rack. Make sure your oil is steady at 350-360 and only do a few at a time to prevent cooling the oil

Re: Breading fish / shrimp - 03/06/24 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by Blank
You asked for breading shrimp or fish, which to me implies using some flour in the mix.

No Sir not in the South. A little is ok, but the cornmeal needs to shine through. At least that's my opinion.

We go bay fishing, or offshore fishing, come home and fry up some really good fish in seasoned cornmeal. Crispy and delicious hours after. Flour can't do that. I hate flour on fish.
Posted By: Blank

Re: Breading fish / shrimp - 03/06/24 03:02 AM

That was why I said that. I prefer just corn meal on mine. Not much on using yellow mustard on my redfish as a binder either, but have been known to try it occasionally. Shrimp and light white fish like sea trout should be the star on the plate!!

Re: Breading fish / shrimp - 03/06/24 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Blank
That was why I said that. I prefer just corn meal on mine. Not much on using yellow mustard on my redfish as a binder either, but have been known to try it occasionally. Shrimp and light white fish like sea trout should be the star on the plate!!

I would love to eat a meal with you some day Sir. I bet you're alright. grin

I love your love for food and life. Please keep it up.
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Breading fish / shrimp - 03/06/24 05:00 AM

Who makes the most fine cornmeal?
Posted By: Nolanco

Re: Breading fish / shrimp - 03/06/24 03:43 PM

OK. I have to confess that I like mine in Panko ...
Posted By: Giblett

Re: Breading fish / shrimp - 03/11/24 12:47 AM

Louisiana fish fry here on shrimp and fish.
Posted By: Slimpickin

Re: Breading fish / shrimp - 03/20/24 05:13 PM

We keep it simple. Dry fish and Coat with Masa. Has a Light flakey crust.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Breading fish / shrimp - 03/20/24 05:28 PM

I soak mine in buttermilk and use Luisianna fish fry. Never let me down.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Breading fish / shrimp - 03/20/24 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Huntmaster
Who makes the most fine cornmeal?

There is such an animal called corn flour. Might be what you're lookin for.
Posted By: Pupjoint

Re: Breading fish / shrimp - 03/21/24 02:16 AM

I’ll coat the fish with a light coating of mustard then Some sort of fish fry, like zatarans, Tony’s, or Louisiana fish fry, an old Cajun showed this to me…Delicious!!!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum