Texas Hunting Forum

Small-batch focaccia bread

Posted By: Nolanco

Small-batch focaccia bread - 02/19/24 02:12 PM

I tried this King Arthur recipe yesterday and boy, did it turn out great. I added a bit of fresh rosemary from the garden but otherwise followed the directions exactly. Doesn't take much time -- just a bit of attention over a few hours. It's just me, so the small size is perfect. The bread is so incredibly delicious that it would be easy to wolf it down in a couple of minutes. Cut horizontally it would make a spectacular sandwich bread -- may be for the greatest muffuletta of all time. cool

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/small-batch-cheesy-focaccia-recipe

[Linked Image]
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Small-batch focaccia bread - 02/19/24 03:16 PM

Sounds good. Nice to see an actual recipe here instead of just pictures of food.

The recipe says to use a Baking Stone or Steel in the oven. Did you have that, or did you just bake it on an oven rack?

Re: Small-batch focaccia bread - 02/19/24 03:37 PM

I have a round pizza stone that usually lives on my Traeger grill as I like to throw some smoke on my pizzas but it worked great in the oven for this bake. I only preheated to 475. Just didn't think 500 would make a difference and it did not.
Posted By: MacDaddy21

Re: Small-batch focaccia bread - 02/19/24 03:41 PM

Looks awesome. I've been baking a ton of sourdough lately and have been meaning to post some pics. Nothing like fresh bread!

Re: Small-batch focaccia bread - 02/19/24 04:13 PM

I need to give sourdough another try. I just never could get in the rhythm to keep the starter going. When I was in high school waay up north in Humboldt County, California, circa 1970, we used to drive over to Eureka to a Portuguese fish market and restaurant and buy two attached kidney-shaped loaves of real sourdough for a dollar. I have never, ever had bread that good in the intervening half century.

Re: Small-batch focaccia bread - 02/19/24 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Nolanco
I need to give sourdough another try. I just never could get in the rhythm to keep the starter going. When I was in high school waay up north in Humboldt County, California, circa 1970, we used to drive over to Eureka to a Portuguese fish market and restaurant and buy two attached kidney-shaped loaves of real sourdough for a dollar. I have never, ever had bread that good in the intervening half century.

It's definitely a bit more labor intensive but worth it. I like to feed my starter once a week and keep it in the fridge until Friday morning when I'll feed it again so it's active and ready to start a few loaves Friday night. I'm really liking this one recipe that's an overnight no-knead loaf and quite frankly it turns out just as good as the traditional sourdough boule with a lot less work.
Posted By: 1955

Re: Small-batch focaccia bread - 02/19/24 04:41 PM

Would up

Re: Small-batch focaccia bread - 02/19/24 05:34 PM

I have made some of the no-knead boules as well -- in the dutch oven lined with parchment. It's just not sourdough.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Small-batch focaccia bread - 02/19/24 05:40 PM

Did you make those using a starter or with yeast? Mine is made with a starter and comes out very close to my sourdough boule. The boule is made with a levain that's made with a small amount of my starter.

Re: Small-batch focaccia bread - 02/20/24 02:19 PM

I made those with yeast, using the "no-knead artisanal bread" process. You simply mix the ingredients, put them in a container in the fridge overnight, form it into a round the next morning and bake it in a cast-iron dutch oven with a small pan of boiling water beneath it to create a few minutes of steam.

Re: Small-batch focaccia bread - 02/20/24 03:12 PM

Gotcha. When I make my no-knead I always use starter instead of yeast, so it gives it more of a sourdough flavor. My recipe allows for 60g starter or ΒΌ tsp yeast. The first time I made it I followed the recipe and didn't knead or stretch and fold. The last 2 times I've treated it more like a boule and done several stretch and folds after the overnight sit, then let it rest and rise a bit more in a banneton basket. It's definitely resulted in a better oven spring and a lighter crumb with more air introduced.

I'm also using a more unique flour (Einkorn flour) which is a bit more difficult to work with, but my gut doesn't get along well with regular wheat flour.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Small-batch focaccia bread - 02/20/24 03:19 PM

Nice!
Posted By: Gringo Bling

Re: Small-batch focaccia bread - 02/20/24 03:53 PM

On the focaccia, how thick did it end up being?
Posted By: Stub

Re: Small-batch focaccia bread - 02/21/24 01:56 PM

Bet it was very good, love almost any kind of fresh bread right out of the oven up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum