Texas Hunting Forum

Hog Question

Posted By: Double AC

Hog Question - 01/07/24 07:02 PM

Hoping PanKo or some of the other experts will chime in. This sow dressed at just over 100lbs and am really pleased with the fat cover. Figure the rib and loin are dying for a bone in treatment but have one question. On a 6month old farm pig, the silver skin on the eye and connective tissue on the chain haven’t developed as much and don’t present much of an issue. You can leave a bone in pork chop untrimmed for the most part with the fat cap on and it makes a really nice presentation. Is that doable here or is the older animal’s chain going to be too tough?

[Linked Image]

Re: Hog Question - 01/07/24 07:07 PM

This is the domestic pork image I have in my head

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jesse Griffiths

Re: Hog Question - 01/07/24 07:10 PM

Good timing. At a glance, that sow looks like it has a great fat cap and you'll probably not have too much issue with leaving the muscles (and silver) over the loin attached for some chops. I would absolutely cut chops off of her, and would think that the coppa--loin/backstrap above the first 5 ribs behind the head--would be the best part of all. As always, I'd recommend brining. Ribs on her look very good. Overall, probably an optimal hog to take, and possibly acorn-fed (depending on location) this time of year.

Re: Hog Question - 01/07/24 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Double AC
This is the domestic pork image I have in my head

[Linked Image]

100%. This short-bone cut will leave nice racks of ribs.

Re: Hog Question - 01/07/24 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by panKo
Good timing. At a glance, that sow looks like it has a great fat cap and you'll probably not have too much issue with leaving the muscles (and silver) over the loin attached for some chops. I would absolutely cut chops off of her, and would think that the coppa--loin/backstrap above the first 5 ribs behind the head--would be the best part of all. As always, I'd recommend brining. Ribs on her look very good. Overall, probably an optimal hog to take, and possibly acorn-fed (depending on location) this time of year.

Amazing. I’ll plan on it. I’ve used your star anise brine before and was very happy with it. And yes she’s been getting fat on a diet of post oak and blackjack acorns.
Posted By: 1955

Re: Hog Question - 01/07/24 11:47 PM

popcorn

Re: Hog Question - 03/27/24 01:50 AM

Couple results of this sow. Been very pleased so far.

Bone in Chops
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Belly Roulades (pre glazing)
[Linked Image]

About a pint of rendered lard which is sadly all gone
[Linked Image]

There were a few other less glamorous cooks from some sirloin steaks and grind, but delicious none the less
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Hog Question - 03/27/24 02:03 AM

I've cooked a lot of feral pigs for a lot of different people a lot of different ways......yours looks great, I would definitely eat that. up
Posted By: ElkOne

Re: Hog Question - 03/27/24 02:47 AM

Wow that looks delicious, all of it up up

Re: Hog Question - 03/27/24 11:37 AM

That looks so good.
Posted By: Nolanco

Re: Hog Question - 03/27/24 01:23 PM

I'm drooling. Beautifully prepared and such meaty ribs!
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Hog Question - 03/27/24 02:42 PM

Nice
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Hog Question - 03/27/24 02:48 PM

Looks damn good!
Posted By: texfork

Re: Hog Question - 03/28/24 10:11 PM

Great job sir!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum