Texas Hunting Forum

Weekend Poolside Appetizers

Posted By: TPACK

Weekend Poolside Appetizers - 08/14/23 01:11 PM

Pretty sure I`ve posted these before, but I`ll doit it again. Made these a couple of weeks ago and everyone wanted them again this weekend. I realized that the toothpick has room for other items to add on top. Going to get creative next time with the top part of the toothpick. I made 30 this time instead of 24 and they were all eaten. Great poolside snacks.
1/2 slice of bacon
1 HEB Crispy/ Tator Round
1 Slice of Fresh Jalapeno
1 Sharp Cheddar Cheese.
Season with whatever you like. I use Fiesta Fajita seasoning and garlic powder.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Gringo Bling

Re: Weekend Poolside Appetizers - 08/14/23 01:25 PM

You got any pics of the finished product?
Posted By: Blank

Re: Weekend Poolside Appetizers - 08/14/23 01:45 PM

Nice. I do something similar, and those new potato rounds are perfect size for these treats. I like to use high temperature cheese, like Halloumi or Justiloepa for slices, as regular cheddar melts at too low a temp. If you don't have high temp cheddar from your sausage making, then I will sometimes core out the jalapeño to make a ring to hold the cheese, and then wrap a second piece of bacon around it the other way to seal it better. The Fiesta Rib Rub is good on them too.

Re: Weekend Poolside Appetizers - 08/14/23 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Blank
Nice. I do something similar, and those new potato rounds are perfect size for these treats. I like to use high temperature cheese, like Halloumi or Justiloepa for slices, as regular cheddar melts at too low a temp. If you don't have high temp cheddar from your sausage making, then I will sometimes core out the jalapeño to make a ring to hold the cheese, and then wrap a second piece of bacon around it the other way to seal it better. The Fiesta Rib Rub is good on them too.

We actually like the cheese when it melts and cools off on the pan. It will harden, become crunchy and make an extra bit of goodness. clap
Posted By: whitewing maniac

Re: Weekend Poolside Appetizers - 08/14/23 04:52 PM

I'll take an educated guess and say 375° oven or pit til bacon is done?
Posted By: 1955

Re: Weekend Poolside Appetizers - 08/14/23 05:16 PM

I’ll bet they are going to be tasty ! food

Re: Weekend Poolside Appetizers - 08/14/23 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by whitewing maniac
I'll take an educated guess and say 375° oven or pit til bacon is done?

Nope. 400-degree oven for about 40 minutes. They use so much water to cure the bacon now days that it takes a while just to cook all the moisture of it. I open the oven door a few times to let all the steam out of the oven and it cooks the bacon better.
Posted By: Blank

Re: Weekend Poolside Appetizers - 08/14/23 06:52 PM

One of the nice things about convection, or dual use ovens. Can lower the temp about 15-25 degrees on convection, and the circulating air and exhaust keeps it drier. I like smoking or grilling outside with a little breeze, to do the same thing and keep it drier
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum