Texas Hunting Forum

My peppers

Posted By: Buzzsaw

My peppers - 08/12/23 06:25 PM

So, my plants put out peppers but now there are no new ones starting. Is this normal?
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: My peppers - 08/12/23 07:34 PM

Mine are the same Buzz. I have 2 peppers on them. Thinking on moving them to shade them in the afternoon.
Posted By: 218 Bee

Re: My peppers - 08/12/23 11:54 PM

Same here. Our jalapeños and poblanos both made very well earlier, but the heat has slammed the brakes on ‘em. They’re still blooming, but nothing is setting…
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: My peppers - 08/13/23 12:29 AM

It's too hot for them to flower, Buzz. Here in 3-4 weeks if you keep them watered and beat them up, snap some branches a few times ... they'll make one more batch. Gotta make them think they're in danger so they reproduce (peppers are the seed pods) just like tomatoes.
Posted By: 1955

Re: My peppers - 08/13/23 07:32 PM

I’m having the same problem. bang
Posted By: whitewing maniac

Re: My peppers - 08/14/23 05:10 PM

Same. I've gotten 8 habanero's off my plant. Few jalapeños here and there. I get plenty of flowers, but they just been dropping off. 2 years ago and before, I was giving a lot of peppers away to neighbors, not this year. Last year wasn't so good either.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: My peppers - 08/14/23 07:26 PM

WOW, again you guys are a wealth of knowledge!. I'll keep plugging.

Do you plant new ones every year or just cut them back when they quit producing? ?
Posted By: rolyat.nosaj

Re: My peppers - 08/15/23 05:20 PM

I have always planted new ones. Never tried to make them last until the next year.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: My peppers - 08/15/23 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by 218 Bee

Same here. Our jalapeños and poblanos both made very well earlier, but the heat has slammed the brakes on ‘em. They’re still blooming, but nothing is setting…

Bloomset can be your friend. It is not just for tomatoes, works on pepper as well. Squash that was blooming like crazy but no quash started spraying those and have 3 small squash from the 4 blooms I sprayed.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum