Texas Hunting Forum

Pulled pork

Posted By: bill oxner

Pulled pork - 04/04/18 10:50 PM

I grew up on a cotton farm in Arkansas. I picked cotton, but I also chopped cotton. We always caught a break after chopping. We were laid by. One of my fondest memories was the Fourth of July barbecue at uncle Johnny's. Never heard of barbecued beef. My daddy and other relatives dug a little pit. There were some real pitmasters in that group. They ended with pulled pork and covered dishes. Here's my best efforts. Do you ever?

Posted By: retfuz

Re: Pulled pork - 04/06/18 12:29 AM

I love it! (Tennessee guy here) I never had smoked BBQ beef until I moved to Texas in '66. Pulled is still king with me along with coleslaw and BBQ beans. A slice of red onion goes well on the side, too.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Pulled pork - 04/08/18 12:01 AM

I'll take a picnic cut, trim it just a bit a put it on the smoker for 4 hours or so at 250* max. Then wrap in foil and put in oven at 195* overnight. In the morning I will let it cool a bit and begin to pulling - well actually no pulling needed - will just fall apart in chunks. What's great about it being smoked is we can put most of it in small freezer bags for use later in burritos, enchiladas, guisado, nachos, sandwiches etc.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Pulled pork - 04/08/18 02:10 PM

Love some pulled pork!

Smoked a big chub of bologna and some spare ribs last night.
Posted By: chalet

Re: Pulled pork - 04/08/18 11:34 PM

Its hard to beat pork for versatility, especially when you are feeding a group. Not a big bbq guy but I will put shoulders or butts in a roaster on 225 til they fall apart, then use the meat for whatever. Too easy to add some green or red sauce, sometimes just season salt and black pepper. Great by itself with some sides like a roast, on tacos, or bbq sauce it for sandwiches.

Looks good Bill.
Posted By: StretchR

Re: Pulled pork - 04/09/18 03:35 AM

I grew up in Arkansas, and didn't know barbeque was anything but pulled-pork. It is still my favorite, but since I've been in Texas for 25+ years I've learned to eat brisket, too. My favorite way for a pork sandwich is a big stack of pulled pork, either dry or with a little KC-style sauce on the bun, then a pile of sweet coleslaw under the top bun. My mama would make the slaw with small tidbits of Red Delicious apples. To me, that is the perfect BBQ sandwich.

I usually pot both a pork shoulder and a brisket in any time I'm smoking. Pecan is my favorite smoke for both meats.
Posted By: MacDaddy21

Re: Pulled pork - 04/09/18 04:05 AM

I usually do 4 or 5 butts each time I cook, and end up with 20-30 lbs of pulled pork. I vacuum seal it all with my Vacmaster and freeze it. Any time it sounds good I get some water boiling in a stock pot and toss a 1 lb bag in for 15 min. Comes out perfect every single time and tastes like it is fresh off the pit. I also do this with ribs and brisket.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Pulled pork - 04/09/18 11:55 PM

Originally Posted By: MacDaddy21
I usually do 4 or 5 butts each time I cook, and end up with 20-30 lbs of pulled pork. I vacuum seal it all with my Vacmaster and freeze it. Any time it sounds good I get some water boiling in a stock pot and toss a 1 lb bag in for 15 min. Comes out perfect every single time and tastes like it is fresh off the pit. I also do this with ribs and brisket.

I've made 5 lunch sandwiches and 3 dinners from that one pork butt. I froze twice that much today.
Posted By: txshotgun

Re: Pulled pork - 04/12/18 06:33 PM

[img]https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/pics/...1_8409348614034[/img]
[img]https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/pics/...4_3457446434896[/img]
[img]https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/pics/...2_8969325726575[/img]

This is how I do it. Unfortunately I could only find the before and after photos. I also tried grilling some okra. Turned out superb.

Dang photos won't upload properly...
Posted By: greenen

Re: Pulled pork - 04/12/18 07:05 PM

Did one Saturday. Transplanted Georgian. Same as above. Pork was my bbq.
Posted By: retfuz

Re: Pulled pork - 04/24/18 02:03 AM

Originally Posted By: StretchR
I grew up in Arkansas, and didn't know barbeque was anything but pulled-pork. It is still my favorite, but since I've been in Texas for 25+ years I've learned to eat brisket, too. My favorite way for a pork sandwich is a big stack of pulled pork, either dry or with a little KC-style sauce on the bun, then a pile of sweet coleslaw under the top bun. My mama would make the slaw with small tidbits of Red Delicious apples. To me, that is the perfect BBQ sandwich.

I usually pot both a pork shoulder and a brisket in any time I'm smoking. Pecan is my favorite smoke for both meats.

You are so absolutely correct! cheers
Posted By: Pupjoint

Re: Pulled pork - 04/24/18 03:53 AM

We really like pulled pork, or pork cooked any other way!
Posted By: Stub

Re: Pulled pork - 04/24/18 11:22 AM

up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum