Texas Hunting Forum

BBQ Sauce

Posted By: B Razorback

BBQ Sauce - 09/25/17 03:17 PM

Planned on making pulled pork this week, but I'm struggling with a recipe and a BBQ sauce recipe. I've never made my own BBQ sauce so I'm willing to try. I've heard of some people using bacon grease in it, but not sure. Any help is appreciated! Thanks
Posted By: Cast

Re: BBQ Sauce - 09/25/17 04:00 PM

Use a sweet rub on the pork, and do it low and slow over hickory and it won't need sauce. Put out a bottle of Head Country for the option.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: BBQ Sauce - 09/25/17 10:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast
Use a sweet rub on the pork, and do it low and slow over hickory and it won't need sauce. Put out a bottle of Head Country for the option.

Bingo. Had leftovers tonight. No sauce.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: BBQ Sauce - 09/26/17 12:39 AM

Head country.
Posted By: retfuz

Re: BBQ Sauce - 09/26/17 02:12 AM

[quote=Cast]Use a sweet rub on the pork, and do it low and slow over hickory and it won't need sauce. Put out a bottle of Head Country for the option. [/quot

Word. Do this! cheers
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: BBQ Sauce - 09/26/17 02:35 AM

Originally Posted By: bigbob_ftw
Head country.

It is legit. If you want to make your own and are dead set I may have a recipe but would have to find it.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: BBQ Sauce - 09/27/17 03:33 AM

Why build it when its already made. Sucklebusters Peach BBQ https://www.sucklebusters.com/bbq-sauces/peach-bbq-sauce-gallon/
They have smaller bottles but I like it so I buy it by the gallon. Best sauce I have had in my life... 61 years.

Re: BBQ Sauce - 09/27/17 09:35 PM

I add pan drippings, vinegar, cayenne, and onion powder to most any store bought.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: BBQ Sauce - 09/28/17 01:49 AM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
I add pan drippings, vinegar, cayenne, and onion powder to most any store bought.

Legit.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: BBQ Sauce - 09/28/17 07:38 PM

Use a sweet rub on the pork, and do it low and slow over hickory and it won't need sauce.

^ Like Cast said. If it's done well it won't need sauce.

Post pics for us!
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: BBQ Sauce - 09/30/17 12:03 AM

going to have to try
Posted By: CRAnderson52

Re: BBQ Sauce - 09/30/17 01:58 AM

Too much work. I use Head Country or Salt Lick.

Re: BBQ Sauce - 10/03/17 09:21 PM

It turned out great! Sorry, as soon as I made that pulled pork I had tests for the rest of the week so I never came back on here. We ended up doing it in the crock pot using premade seasoning packets with some diced jalapenos mixed in. It was easy and tasted great! Thanks for the help on this one!

Re: BBQ Sauce - 10/04/17 01:07 AM

Originally Posted By: B Razorback
It turned out great! Sorry, as soon as I made that pulled pork I had tests for the rest of the week so I never came back on here. We ended up doing it in the crock pot using premade seasoning packets with some diced jalapenos mixed in. It was easy and tasted great! Thanks for the help on this one!

I bought a pork butt at HEB today for a dollar a pound. I plan to cook it soon.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: BBQ Sauce - 10/04/17 02:03 AM

How long can you leave it in the fridge, or do you freeze it?

Re: BBQ Sauce - 10/04/17 01:38 PM

It's frozen.

Re: BBQ Sauce - 10/04/17 07:26 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner

I bought a pork butt at HEB today for a dollar a pound. I plan to cook it soon.

We got lucky and found a managers special 5 pound pork butt at Harps for $5. Pretty cheap meal and we had a ton of left overs

Re: BBQ Sauce - 10/04/17 08:29 PM

The best sauce I've had in Arkansas was at Cypress Corner. It's between Helena and Mariamma.
Posted By: Obi Wan

Re: BBQ Sauce - 10/05/17 02:57 AM

East Carolina Sauce. Great on Pork

Ingredients

2 cups apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 tablespoon Texas Pete's
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Procedure

Place all of the ingredients in a small, non-reactive sauce pan and bring to a boil. Whisk until the sugar and salt is completely dissolved, remove from heat, and allow to cool to room temperature.
Pour the sauce into a jar or squeeze bottle and let rest in the refrigerator one day before using.
Posted By: Guy

Re: BBQ Sauce - 10/05/17 01:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Obi Wan

Ingredients

1 tablespoon ketchup
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Procedure

Place all of the ingredients in a small, non-reactive sauce pan and bring to a boil. Whisk until the sugar and salt is completely dissolved, remove from heat, and allow to cool to room temperature.
Pour the sauce into a jar or squeeze bottle and let rest in the refrigerator one day before using.

After 18 posts and 1 week, someone finally answers his question with a BBQ sauce recipe. However, normally your base for a BBQ sauce is ketchup. BBQ is nothing more than jazzed up ketchup. I think maybe your measurements might be backwards for the vinegar and ketchup, 2 cups of ketchup and 1 teaspoon of vinegar makes more sense, jmo.
Posted By: Guy

Re: BBQ Sauce - 10/05/17 01:10 PM

Planned on making pulled pork this week, but I'm struggling with a recipe and a BBQ sauce recipe. I've never made my own BBQ sauce so I'm willing to try. I've heard of some people using bacon grease in it, but not sure. Any help is appreciated! Thanks

Google Franklin BBQ sauce on YouTube.

Re: BBQ Sauce - 10/05/17 08:49 PM

I appreciate it Guy!
Posted By: Obi Wan

Re: BBQ Sauce - 10/06/17 12:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Guy
Originally Posted By: Obi Wan

Ingredients

1 tablespoon ketchup
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Procedure

After 18 posts and 1 week, someone finally answers his question with a BBQ sauce recipe. However, normally your base for a BBQ sauce is ketchup. BBQ is nothing more than jazzed up ketchup. I think maybe your measurements might be backwards for the vinegar and ketchup, 2 cups of ketchup and 1 teaspoon of vinegar makes more sense, jmo.

Nope. For an East Carolina sauce the proportions are dead on. This is a pretty good sauce. Its not very spicy though. If you like it spicy, you will want to add more red pepper flakes.

Re: BBQ Sauce - 10/06/17 12:26 AM

You guys are all close, but you have to have pan drippings to make it at home.
Posted By: decook

Re: BBQ Sauce - 10/06/17 10:57 AM

When you go buy the white vinegar, I suggest you get
the 1 gallon jug. Use the 4 cups and pour the rest on
your favorite fire ant mound. This recipe fills that
jug just fine.

4 c White Vinegar or just one bottle of 32 oz. white vinegar
5 c White Sugar, best results with splenda type
3 tsp Minced Garlic
8 tsp Colgin Liquid Smoke
10 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
8 c Ketchup or one 64 oz bottle. Buy the cheapest stuff on the shelf
2-1/2 Tbsp Prepared Horseradish (not creamed style !)
1/8 c Ground BlackPepper
1/8 c Ground cayenne Pepper
1/8 c Crushed Red Pepper
1/4 to 1/2 stick Butter
1-1/2 Juiced Lemon or 5 tablespoons juice

Mix sugar, vinegar and garlic in heavy/crock pot
Heat and stir until sugar is fully dissolved.
Add remaining ingredients
(If splenda, then just dump it and all the rest of the stuff in and turn it on high)
Stir constantly until a slight boil starts. Then set it to low for 2 hours then shut off.
Bottle it up after it cools off. If you used the 32oz vinegar, use that empty bottle, plus the empty
ketchup bottle.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum