Texas Hunting Forum

Elk Stew?

Posted By: rob valle

Elk Stew? - 11/11/16 03:36 PM

Does anyone have a good recipe for elk or venison stew? I was wanting to make some in a crockpot this weekend. The idea would be to set it around 11AM so hopefully it will be ready to eat after the evening hunt. Thanks!
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Elk Stew? - 11/11/16 03:46 PM

Same as any other stew.

Cut meat to chunks of desired size
dredge in flour
sear meat in pot/large skillet/dutch oven with some butter or oil
Cover in water or stock of your preference
Add vegies (potatoes, carrots, celery, onion)
Salt/pepper/garlic to taste.
Posted By: Buzzard Breath

Re: Elk Stew? - 11/11/16 04:27 PM

used venison but should be same process, this stew was really fantastic: http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbth...ood#Post6426184
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Elk Stew? - 11/11/16 04:40 PM

That stew calls for 22 ingredients. I leave bay leaves out of nearly every recipe that calls for them and never notice.
Posted By: rob valle

Re: Elk Stew? - 11/11/16 07:27 PM

Thx guys I will give it a try!
Posted By: fishhuntgolfgeek

Re: Elk Stew? - 11/28/16 12:57 AM

I've used this recipe for elk instead of venison...
It's an awesome recipe........

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/hunting/2010/10/recipe-how-cook-green-chile-venison-stew
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Elk Stew? - 11/28/16 11:13 PM

This one is excellent!

Posted By: Nathan Nelson

Re: Elk Stew? - 11/29/16 04:12 AM

1. Cut two pounds of cold Elk steak into bite sizes chunks.
2. Soak elk in enough water to cover with 1 teaspoon of course salt and Thyme sprigs overnight
3. Remove Elk from water bath and place in a ziplock bag with A1 Steak Sauce for 3-5 hours in refrigerator
4. Put Elk, 1 Cup of Onion (Sweet), 16 once(s) of Carrots, Bag of small new potatoes and 4 cups of Beef Stock in a crock pot
5. Season as you like, I like Garlic Powder, Cumin, Paprika, White Pepper, Seasoning Salt, Thyme and, Basil
6. Cook on high for 8 hours
7. Make gravy, I personally like Country Brand Brown Gravy (4 Cups) mix one bottle of A1 steak sauce with gravy
8. Pour gravy mix into crock pot
9. Serve
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum