Texas Hunting Forum

Tamales

Posted By: wacorusty

Tamales - 01/10/15 05:20 PM

Any tips? Thinking about having a few cold ones at Georges then stopping in the Mercardo for some tamale ingredients.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Tamales - 01/10/15 06:19 PM

My tip is to buy them already made. I have a dozen in my frig minus two I ate last night.

Re: Tamales - 01/10/15 10:39 PM

I just spent $40 on enough ingredients to make 10 dozen. I've had at least that many people tell me it's a of work. Guess I'm just curious. 8lb butt is about to go on the green egg.
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: Tamales - 01/11/15 03:05 AM

if your like me and you like the tamale to slide off the shuck just use a little extra lard
Posted By: Cast

Re: Tamales - 01/11/15 12:03 PM

You're supposed to use a hog head gringo.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Tamales - 01/11/15 02:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast

Goat head guero.
Posted By: Classic Rocks

Re: Tamales - 01/11/15 02:37 PM

Originally Posted By: bigbob_ftw
Originally Posted By: Cast

Goat head guero.

Nice!

Re: Tamales - 01/11/15 05:04 PM

Wife wasn't down with hog head. At least I didn't go chicken or turkey! I'm using my dried pepper blend. That means there will be fewer people eating them

grin

Re: Tamales - 01/11/15 05:11 PM

I love me some tamales.

Re: Tamales - 01/11/15 05:29 PM

My first time doing without a room full of mexican women telling me what to do. Don't think my ratios are perfect, probably have some stuff leftover and not enough other.

Re: Tamales - 01/11/15 05:47 PM

Sounds like you're in good hands.
Posted By: coolie

Re: Tamales - 01/11/15 05:59 PM

Originally Posted By: wacorusty
I just spent $40 on enough ingredients to make 10 dozen. I've had at least that many people tell me it's a of work. Guess I'm just curious. 8lb butt is about to go on the green egg.

Don't put it in the egg. Boil the meat. Save the water to use for the masa. It makes all the difference. Buy pork carnitas instead. PM me if you really want to know. Do it your own way if you like the trial and error method. It's all about the masa.

Re: Tamales - 01/11/15 06:12 PM

I smoked the pork on the egg for 2 hrs instead of braising it. I simmered it in a pot for 4 more and used the stock in the masa.

Re: Tamales - 01/11/15 08:12 PM

Slave labor

Posted By: Wild Hog

Re: Tamales - 01/12/15 03:16 AM

My brother-in-law made some using a deer neck. They turned out very good.

Re: Tamales - 01/12/15 03:40 PM

I'm proud of my first attempt. Yesterday they were falling apart, but the taste is pure greatness. I put them in the fridge and reheated a couple a few minutes ago and they are much better. I spread the masa a little thin and imagine some of them will be eaten with a fork. I had a few get crushed in the pot so I scraped them into a bowl and plan on dumping sauce on the pile at lunch!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum