Texas Hunting Forum

Boudin Sausage.....

Posted By: skinnerback

Boudin Sausage..... - 10/29/14 03:36 AM

I have always been a big fan of some good Boudin Sausage, it's hard to find good boudin in most of Texas though. You don't find it at HEB. This stuff comes from the Boudin Kitchen in Sulfer, Louisiana and it's very good. This pack is cooking right now. I've worked with lots of Cajuns & picked their brains, spent a lot of time in Louisiana, watched a lot of Youtube videos on how to make it....I will be making my own soon. food After all, I have an endless supply of pork and seafood. I've had some good stuff from a number of places in Louisianne.....but I can't wait to make my own. If anyone is willing to share boudin recipes, I will do the same soon.

Re: Boudin Sausage..... - 10/29/14 03:39 AM

I had 6 boxes of this stuff, I am down to 2 1/2 already. food
Posted By: Classic Rocks

Re: Boudin Sausage..... - 10/29/14 12:52 PM

I'll be making some next week, I just wing it! Still can't figure out how to make it as "creamy" as the good stuff. Not sure if my fat content is too low or if some of the texture comes from the starch of the rice.
Don't forget the green onion tops!
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Boudin Sausage..... - 10/29/14 02:08 PM

Never had boudin till I went to Louisiana... love boudin!

If you find a good recipe I'd love to hear about it! food
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: Boudin Sausage..... - 10/29/14 02:27 PM

Always wanted to try it never had the chance to.
Posted By: TooLow

Re: Boudin Sausage..... - 10/29/14 02:29 PM

Love me some Boudin!
Posted By: netman

Re: Boudin Sausage..... - 10/29/14 03:34 PM

Originally Posted By: TooLow
Love me some Boudin!
I don't go to Louisiana very often and i never have ordered food online.So, where is the place to buy in Dallas, and what brand is good(satisfactory)?
Posted By: TooLow

Re: Boudin Sausage..... - 10/29/14 03:39 PM

Originally Posted By: netman
Originally Posted By: TooLow
Love me some Boudin!
I don't go to Louisiana very often and i never have ordered food online.So, where is the place to buy in Dallas, and what brand is good(satisfactory)?

Zummo's pretty dang good for store bought stuff. Have not found a good place around Dallas with good Boudin but I'm guessing Nates in Addison might have some good stuff possibly.

Re: Boudin Sausage..... - 10/29/14 03:42 PM

I was in Natchitoches this weekend had a link of battered and fried boudin. Blew away any boudin ball I ever had. I prefer it smoked but dang, battered and fried was fantastic.

Re: Boudin Sausage..... - 10/29/14 03:44 PM

For store bought, find a Brookshires grocery store. They have a pretty good selection of LA products most of the time.
Zummos is ok in a pinch but I like Richards brand if I can find it.
HEB usually has some good ones too.
Posted By: driedmeat

Re: Boudin Sausage..... - 10/30/14 03:43 PM

Here's the basics that I use... You have to adjust the amount of ingredients to the amount of boudin you are going to make and your own personal preferences.

Ingredients:
Pork butts - deboned, cut into 2 inch chunks, leave fat intact - the fat is your friend.
Pork liver
cooked rice
onions
bell peppers
celery
garlic
salt
pepper
cayenne
Tony's seasoning
fresh parsley
green onion
sausage casings

Liberally season pork with Tony's seasoning. In a large pot, brown the seasoned meat in a little oil (in batches). The bottom of the pot will brown with the meat drippings and seasonings - this is a good thing. When finished browning the meat, add water, browned pork pieces, and liver into the pot and bring to low boil. Add chopped onions, bell peppers, celery, garlic, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Simmer until meat falls apart. Remove meat and veggie mixture and keep broth. At this point, you can either shred the meat or run through grinder. Mix meat with rice, fresh chopped green onions, fresh chopped parsley. Taste and adjust seasonings. Add just enough broth to wet the mix enough to efficiently run through stuffer and into casings. Slightly over seasoned is best as the rice will absorb.
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Boudin Sausage..... - 10/30/14 03:54 PM

The Boudain Shack, aka Chicken on the Bayou, Exit 115 off I-10, Breaux Bridge LA.

Nothing else compares any more. They ship cases for actual UPS shipping costs. Only boudain I'll eat anymore.

Re: Boudin Sausage..... - 10/30/14 04:33 PM

Thanks for the recipe. up
Posted By: Dave Scott

Re: Boudin Sausage..... - 10/30/14 05:36 PM

Yeah, Breaux Bridge LA. is Boudin Central. Always stop and stock up.
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Boudin Sausage..... - 10/31/14 02:18 AM

Originally Posted By: driedmeat
Here's the basics that I use... You have to adjust the amount of ingredients to the amount of boudin you are going to make and your own personal preferences.

Ingredients:
Pork butts - deboned, cut into 2 inch chunks, leave fat intact - the fat is your friend.
Pork liver
cooked rice
onions
bell peppers
celery
garlic
salt
pepper
cayenne
Tony's seasoning
fresh parsley
green onion
sausage casings

Liberally season pork with Tony's seasoning. In a large pot, brown the seasoned meat in a little oil (in batches). The bottom of the pot will brown with the meat drippings and seasonings - this is a good thing. When finished browning the meat, add water, browned pork pieces, and liver into the pot and bring to low boil. Add chopped onions, bell peppers, celery, garlic, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Simmer until meat falls apart. Remove meat and veggie mixture and keep broth. At this point, you can either shred the meat or run through grinder. Mix meat with rice, fresh chopped green onions, fresh chopped parsley. Taste and adjust seasonings. Add just enough broth to wet the mix enough to efficiently run through stuffer and into casings. Slightly over seasoned is best as the rice will absorb.

That sounds like a dang good recipe! If you left out the sausage casing, you'd have some good dirty rice too.
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Boudin Sausage..... - 10/31/14 10:37 AM

hungry now.
Posted By: Okiedog

Re: Boudin Sausage..... - 10/31/14 01:25 PM

Fischer's in Meunster is pretty darn good.
Posted By: Lightnin

Re: Boudin Sausage..... - 10/31/14 03:34 PM

Classic Rocks, where in Natchitoches did you get the fried boudin? Headed there next weekend to work on a duck blind.
Posted By: Lightnin

Re: Boudin Sausage..... - 10/31/14 03:41 PM

Classic Rock, where in Natchitoches did you get the fried boudin? Headed there next weekend to work on a duck blind.

Re: Boudin Sausage..... - 10/31/14 04:03 PM

I don't know my way around there that well. If you exit the interstate there where raceway/french market gas stations are, there is a road that dead ends across from raceway parking lot. That road goes to Sibley lake. The bait shop on the right on that road sells the deep fried boudin.
Posted By: driedmeat

Re: Boudin Sausage..... - 10/31/14 08:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Dave Scott
Yeah, Breaux Bridge LA. is Boudin Central. Always stop and stock up.

few years back was in Breaux Bridge at Charlie T's on a sunday morning buying boudin to bring home. Local guy came in that kinda reminded me of a 50 something year old JJ from Good Times. Got him some fried boudin balls and left. Got my order and got back onto main street. Noticed cars ahead of me swerving around someone. Caught up and it was that fella riding a lawn mower right down the middle of the street in heavy traffic. he took a left turn across traffic, popped the curb into a yard where a landscape crew was working, dropped the deck, and went to mowing while enjoying his breakfast. great moment - great laugh for me...
Posted By: GO REBS

Re: Boudin Sausage..... - 11/01/14 12:32 PM

I make it quite bit. I stopped stuffing it in casings and now just put it in 13x9 pan and bake it. Great for the holidays or taking to camp.

Re: Boudin Sausage..... - 11/03/14 05:44 AM

Originally Posted By: GO REBS
I make it quite bit. I stopped stuffing it in casings and now just put it in 13x9 pan and bake it. Great for the holidays or taking to camp.

Never thought of that.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Boudin Sausage..... - 11/16/14 02:36 AM

Billy's Boudain

Get some!
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Boudin Sausage..... - 11/16/14 05:10 AM

You know, I'm not sure I have ever had any...
Posted By: notamtchance

Re: Boudin Sausage..... - 11/17/14 09:18 PM

Go to Dons.com on the web. They make the best I've ever had.

Re: Boudin Sausage..... - 11/17/14 09:35 PM

I used to stop and get Don's a lot driving back from Louisiana. It's good, but I like the Boudin Kitchen better.
Posted By: LuckyCatch

Re: Boudin Sausage..... - 11/20/14 01:59 AM

Anyone ever used deer liver in their boudin? This should work, no?

Re: Boudin Sausage..... - 11/20/14 01:27 PM

Last batch I did was 2 hearts boiled and ground and 1 liver ground uncooked then mixed with my ground pork/veggies and cooked. Then add rice, season and mix together. Might go with half of the liver. My liver was pretty strong tasting even after soaking overnight.
Posted By: Nate C.

Re: Boudin Sausage..... - 12/04/14 05:22 AM

For the past 5 years or so, I've gotten some boudin made from every deer I have harvested. We eat a LOT of venison boudin in this house.

For store-bought (non-venison) boudin, both Zummo's and DJ's are my preferred brands. It is in HEB, Kroger and Walmart in southeast Texas, but maybe that is because both brands are made in Beaumont. If you can't find it in the store I am almost certain you can order from Zummo's online and they will ship. No sure if DJ's will do that.
Posted By: trash2

Re: Boudin Sausage..... - 12/08/14 02:28 AM

I use leos in galveston to make mine w meat I provide, excellent
Posted By: LG

Re: Boudin Sausage..... - 12/18/14 05:11 PM

Zummo's is gluten free so I usually eat that because of gluten allergy at my house.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum