Texas Hunting Forum

how difficult is it?

Posted By: trapperjustin

how difficult is it? - 10/16/14 11:26 AM

How difficult is it to stuff sausage with your grinder? I have the #8 lem grinder. It comes with the stuffing tube. I shot a buck and want to make some link sausage. Am I gonna have heck stuffing with the grinder? I don't have a stuffer and can't afford one right now. If you have any tips please let me know.
Posted By: don k

Re: how difficult is it? - 10/16/14 12:12 PM

Only way to find out how it works for you is to try it. There is a reason most that make sausage use a stuffer.
Posted By: PMK

Re: how difficult is it? - 10/16/14 12:49 PM

that's the only way we ever did our link sausage ...

we would season and grind the meat, then remove the cutting plate, install stuffing funnel tube, slide casing on the tube, turn on grinder and start feeding in the ground meat letting the screw feed it into the casing.

Re: how difficult is it? - 10/16/14 01:48 PM

Pmk, do you have any problems with air pockets doing it that way?

Re: how difficult is it? - 10/16/14 02:07 PM

nope, we used to slide a full length casing (gut, buy fresh ones!!) with a knot tied in the end, 10-20 feet long. Works best with two people, one feeding the grinder and one feeding the casing as it fills. We would use a large round pan, and merely do a continuous feed of sausage (looked like a snake coiled in the pan when done). once the entire casing was filled, we would tie off the other end. we would determine what size links we wanted (bun size or looped length) and merely twist the casing to length to form what size link we were going with.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: how difficult is it? - 10/16/14 09:23 PM

We use PMK's method, except I make the twists as we stuff, not once it's all stuffed, then we throw on two ring-crimps per twist once the whole run is through. Back when my parents made boudin all the time my dad built a dedicated stuffer from a hand-crank grinder with an ice-cream maker motor chucked to the handle shaft. He had a foot-operated rheostat so he could control the speed or even stop it with a foot, leaving both hands free.
Posted By: sevensixtytwo

Re: how difficult is it? - 10/16/14 10:13 PM

It's a giant pain and slow to use a grinder to stuff sausages.

Re: how difficult is it? - 10/19/14 10:31 PM

Well it was a pain but I got it done. Made some polish and some chipotle jalapeno sausage.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: how difficult is it? - 10/20/14 12:13 AM

Get a stuffer, thank me later.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: how difficult is it? - 10/20/14 03:26 AM

Originally Posted By: bigbob_ftw

X2
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: how difficult is it? - 10/20/14 04:01 AM

Its definitely doable. But you will eventually want a sausage stuffer.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: how difficult is it? - 10/20/14 01:51 PM

Originally Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: how difficult is it? - 10/20/14 02:12 PM

couple of air pockets but poped um with a needle. Not to bad for my first time. About 40 links all together. Mix of polish and some japaleno chipotle.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: how difficult is it? - 10/20/14 02:17 PM

It will work, but its slow. For large volumes I would say no.

Air pockets are only a problem if your drying the sausage. If it is going to be cooked or frozen then cooked it shouldn't hurt anything.

Re: how difficult is it? - 10/20/14 02:26 PM

yep, it can be a pain if doing large amounts at once. I recall making 250 pounds of link feral hog sausage for a benefit fund raiser and the grinder stuffing method was all we had to use. It worked but took some time. by the end of it we had a pretty good system going that worked very well with 2 people (one feeding the grinder, one handling casing and filling).
Posted By: sevensixtytwo

Re: how difficult is it? - 10/23/14 05:29 AM

I just used my new vertical stuffer for the first time. It beats the pants off using a grinder and the elbow stuffers.
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: how difficult is it? - 10/24/14 10:23 AM

I've used the grinder a few times since I don't have a stuffer. Ditto what others said. I'll probably be buying a stuffer in the next year or two.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum