Texas Hunting Forum

Bacon Grease!

Posted By: NewGulf

Bacon Grease! - 06/23/14 04:13 PM

Who uses it? who saves it? what do you use it with? i'm a big bacon grease fan!!! cheers
Posted By: texfork

Re: Bacon Grease! - 06/23/14 04:22 PM

Bacon grease is like liquid gold . I use it on every kind of frying .
Not to walk on your thread but do you keep it out or in the refridg ?
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Bacon Grease! - 06/23/14 04:32 PM

Once in a blue moon. I buy already cooked bacon.

Re: Bacon Grease! - 06/23/14 04:38 PM

Originally Posted By: texfork
Not to walk on your thread but do you keep it out or in the refridg ?

i keep it in a dish on the counter next to the cooktop always at the ready! up
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Bacon Grease! - 06/23/14 04:51 PM

gotta have some.
Posted By: bkj

Re: Bacon Grease! - 06/23/14 06:52 PM

I save it in a mason jar like my grandparents did!
Posted By: Cast

Re: Bacon Grease! - 06/23/14 07:12 PM

Quart jar in the fridge. Use it in yellow squash, green beans, pinto beans if I don't have a hambone, stewed cabbage, anything you want to taste better.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Bacon Grease! - 06/23/14 07:46 PM

Coffee can works fine. Try a BLT with Texas toast made with bacon grease.

Re: Bacon Grease! - 06/23/14 07:52 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner

They did when they were cans. Don't dump hot grease in a plastic one! Gramma used to have a small aluminum canister marked 'Bacon Grease'.
Posted By: wacorusty

Re: Bacon Grease! - 06/23/14 08:05 PM

looks a lot better in a can
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Bacon Grease! - 06/23/14 08:31 PM

Yep, quart (glass) jar here too (in the fridge). Love sunny-side-up eggs (or over easy) cooked in bacon grease. Use it to flavor veggies like green beans.
Posted By: Dave Scott

Re: Bacon Grease! - 06/23/14 08:44 PM

Not to sound like the "Health Police" but as you get a little older you probably want to cut down on the animal fat you eat. I fry my bacon "real good" on the idea I'll fry out as much fat as possible and use crumpled up bacon on vegetables. Chopped cabbage boiled about 5 minutes with crumpled up bacon bits. I like that.
Now and then I'll do a fish fry, catfish dusted in white flour, dipped in buttermilk, rolled in cornmeal and fried in bacon fat.
BTW, the buttermilk works great on chicken fried steak- really holds the breading/corn meal.
I keep the drippings only for frying fish, they'll pick up a fish flavor so they aren't much good for anything else. I use a mesh to take out most of the fried crumbs and keep the dippings in the fringe.

Re: Bacon Grease! - 06/23/14 08:44 PM

Don't forget making cream gravy!!!! food

Re: Bacon Grease! - 06/23/14 08:47 PM

Gotta have white milk gravy.
Posted By: thecytochromec

Re: Bacon Grease! - 06/23/14 08:47 PM

I try to save the fond more than the grease. That is an excellent flavor additive for anything that could use just a hint of baconness... which means everything lol.
Posted By: easton1025

Re: Bacon Grease! - 06/23/14 08:50 PM

My grandparent both lived to be 98 and she cooked EVERYTHING that required to be sauteed or pan fried in bacon grease..Never a heart trouble one....There is a new trend in the food world....many Chefs are using bacon grease rather than all of the oils....Most food distributors are selling bacon grease by the gallon.....

Re: Bacon Grease! - 06/23/14 08:57 PM

It funner making my own bacon grease!

Re: Bacon Grease! - 06/23/14 09:02 PM

Originally Posted By: bkj

same here! i use it for all of my beans, frying eggs, dirty rice..you cant get a better flavoring food

Re: Bacon Grease! - 06/23/14 09:04 PM

Originally Posted By: NewGulf
Originally Posted By: bkj

same here! i use it for all of my beans, frying eggs, dirty rice..you cant get a better flavoring food

And your boys gator!!!! Lol

Re: Bacon Grease! - 06/23/14 09:06 PM

lol it would prolly be good fried in bacon grease clap
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Bacon Grease! - 06/23/14 09:57 PM

I always save my bacon grease in a tupperware container in the fridge (after it's cooled). I use it as a flavor enhancer for a number of things, but the main reason I save it is for basting BBQ pork (feral). I put the bacon grease in a metal bowl on the fire box warmer, and baste the meat once an hour for almost the entire cook. food
Posted By: PMK

Re: Bacon Grease! - 06/23/14 10:07 PM

I think you might be on to something there skinnerback!!! I'll have to give that a try!
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Bacon Grease! - 06/23/14 10:27 PM

Originally Posted By: PMK
I think you might be on to something there skinnerback!!! I'll have to give that a try!

up It's good cheers I inject my pork, then mix brown sugar with a little of the marinade and coat the meat. After hanging out in the fridge over night it gets dusted good with seasoning/rub and goes in the smoker with an aluminum pan full of apple juice near the fire box to steam & smoke with hickory wood (225-250). After the sugar & marinade has pretty much melted off of the meat (1-2 hrs) & it starts getting color, then I start basting with bacon grease. I remove pork when it's about 3/4 of the way done and finish in a large roaster with my concoction of liquids & a few other things until the meat falls apart then shred. Makes excellent tacos & sammiches, have fun with it! I love bacon grease.
Posted By: sweetwilliam

Re: Bacon Grease! - 06/24/14 01:05 PM

How long till it goes bad,or will it?
Posted By: easton1025

Re: Bacon Grease! - 06/24/14 01:17 PM

I keep my jar out on the counter and never had a jar go bad...It still firms up just not like the fridge....

Re: Bacon Grease! - 06/24/14 01:32 PM

Originally Posted By: sweetwilliam
How long till it goes bad,or will it?

My grandma kept a can above the stove forever, she would pour grease in and spoon it out when needed. The cleaner the better. I have a hard time not using it up before it goes bad.

Hell, I can get most people to eat an old shoe lace if I fry it in bacon grease and put some cheese on it!
Posted By: Stoney

Re: Bacon Grease! - 06/24/14 04:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast

They did when they were cans. Don't dump hot grease in a plastic one! Gramma used to have a small aluminum canister marked 'Bacon Grease'.

I have my grandmothers grease container on the back of my stove

Re: Bacon Grease! - 06/24/14 07:30 PM

That is so cool!

Re: Bacon Grease! - 06/25/14 12:17 AM

up
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Bacon Grease! - 06/25/14 12:32 AM

Love to fry eggs in bacon grease
Posted By: PMK

Re: Bacon Grease! - 06/25/14 01:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Stoney
Originally Posted By: Cast

I have my grandmothers grease container on the back of my stove

both my grandmothers and my mom had a very similar "grease" can as that pictured. that brought back some fond memories!
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Bacon Grease! - 06/25/14 04:09 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Imusa-Aluminum-Gre...n+with+strainer

get one.

Re: Bacon Grease! - 06/26/14 02:49 PM

On that health aspect- I agree that some of the oldsters always used it and lived to a ripe old age so why all the trouble these days? Here's how I see it. If you work on a farm from morning til night and have the shape of a string bean, everything you ate got burned up- nothing left to clog the old arteries. Most of us now a days don't work that hard. I think it is when you eat grease and it turns to body fat that the clogged artery thing gets going. That's the best I can figure.
Posted By: Old_Town

Re: Bacon Grease! - 06/28/14 02:28 AM

And the there's this.........................

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/h...557d_story.html
Posted By: Rockinmyshoe

Re: Bacon Grease! - 06/28/14 02:41 AM

They have taken Mother Nature out of the picture, added this and that to preserve,enhance flavor. Used to go to the produce section and buy using your nose, if it smelled like a peach it usually tasted like a peach. Now they have figured hoe to make it smell like a peach and taste like a sponge. Personal garden and farm grown fruits and veggies are the closest we will ever get to the real deal. Bacon grease today has so many preservatives in it to extend it's shelf life. muyloco
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Bacon Grease! - 06/28/14 03:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Dave Scott
On that health aspect- I agree that some of the oldsters always used it and lived to a ripe old age so why all the trouble these days? Here's how I see it. If you work on a farm from morning til night and have the shape of a string bean, everything you ate got burned up- nothing left to clog the old arteries. Most of us now a days don't work that hard. I think it is when you eat grease and it turns to body fat that the clogged artery thing gets going. That's the best I can figure.

Agreed.
Posted By: DannyB

Re: Bacon Grease! - 06/29/14 02:59 AM

My mother has one somewhere in a cabinet that looks like the one in the picture. It has a recessed strainer at the top of the can to catch the bigger particles.

Those "particles" should be tossed in some scrambled eggs.
Posted By: cmc

Re: Bacon Grease! - 07/02/14 10:15 PM

Pig butter! I love it, I use it for everything it stays in a mason jar above the stove and everything that needs frying and some things that don't go in the pig butter.

Re: Bacon Grease! - 07/06/14 04:02 PM

The wife made green beans last night with onions in bacon grease wasn't one bean left
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Bacon Grease! - 07/06/14 06:59 PM

I'll add a little to my grits as I'm cooking them along with a little crumbled bacon. Best grits you'll ever have!
Posted By: osofaraway

Re: Bacon Grease! - 07/14/14 10:36 PM

You cant beat deer meat fried in bacon grease!
Posted By: Leever

Re: Bacon Grease! - 07/14/14 11:26 PM

Baste chicken breast with bacon grease....it's delicious.
Posted By: milsonrisas

Re: Bacon Grease! - 07/16/14 09:55 PM

Dice up some potatoes, onion, green pepper and fry in bacon grease. Throw it in some home made flour tortillas! And beans refried in bacon grease are the best ever!
Posted By: LoneRanger220

Re: Bacon Grease! - 07/24/14 02:16 AM

Save mine in the fridge. Scrambled eggs!

Re: Bacon Grease! - 08/23/14 08:49 PM

ate some of the best bacon ive ever had this morning and saved all the grease! gonna be good in anything especially the greenbeans tonight!
Posted By: Mr. Clean

Re: Bacon Grease! - 08/28/14 12:31 PM

I keep it in an old mason jar under the sink and cook everything I can in cast iron that is over 50 years old. Those pans are rubbed down with grease after every use.
Posted By: RICK O'SHAY

Re: Bacon Grease! - 08/28/14 03:14 PM

I also use it to dip wood screws in makes them go in easy.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum