Texas Hunting Forum

Fried some Chicken!

Posted By: NewGulf

Fried some Chicken! - 04/11/14 01:49 PM

Dang it was good! seasoned it and let it sit for a few hours and then fried in olive oil! Excellent food

Before!

After!!

Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Fried some Chicken! - 04/11/14 03:00 PM

Dang that looks delicious!
Posted By: wacorusty

Re: Fried some Chicken! - 04/11/14 03:45 PM

taters and gravy too?
Posted By: TooLow

Re: Fried some Chicken! - 04/11/14 03:49 PM

Originally Posted By: wacorusty
taters and gravy too?

X2 Man that looks really good!
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: Fried some Chicken! - 04/11/14 04:06 PM

Fried in olive oil???? Man I bet that was smokey.

Re: Fried some Chicken! - 04/11/14 04:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Grosvenor
Fried in olive oil???? Man I bet that was smokey.

not a bit of smoke at all...never have had any issues frying my chicken in olive oil and its by far the best oil in my opinion to use for frying 2cents

Re: Fried some Chicken! - 04/11/14 04:11 PM

Originally Posted By: wacorusty
taters and gravy too?

you know it! you cant have fried chicken and then waste all that good seasoning and crust in the bottom of that skillet! cheers
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Fried some Chicken! - 04/11/14 05:20 PM

That looks awesome! I cook with a lot of olive oil but I've never fried anything in it, yet. Gonna have to give that a try.

Re: Fried some Chicken! - 04/11/14 05:44 PM

Originally Posted By: skinnerback
That looks awesome! I cook with a lot of olive oil but I've never fried anything in it, yet. Gonna have to give that a try.

this is what i use! make sure when you get any kind of olive oil you get the one for frying!!! ive ALWAYS had nothing but good results with Berio! try it out and good luck! up

http://www.filippoberio.com/
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Fried some Chicken! - 04/11/14 06:29 PM

Thanks NG, will do!
Posted By: GO REBS

Re: Fried some Chicken! - 04/13/14 01:17 AM

Ive used olive oil to fry before. Did you use any kind of breading?

Re: Fried some Chicken! - 04/13/14 01:11 PM

Originally Posted By: GO REBS

i just used flour is all...every once in awhile i might add just a bit of cornmeal to it...its all good up
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Fried some Chicken! - 04/13/14 04:44 PM

Looks great! I use olive oil for frying everything these days. Backstrap is really great fried in it.
Posted By: LoneRanger220

Re: Fried some Chicken! - 04/13/14 10:09 PM

What time is supper???

Re: Fried some Chicken! - 04/14/14 12:09 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Looks great! I use olive oil for frying everything these days. Backstrap is really great fried in it.

Agreed! i think olive oil enhances the flavor even more than any of the other cooking oils cheers
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: Fried some Chicken! - 04/14/14 11:42 PM

I love the taste of olive oil as much as anyone, but the smoke point is a bit lower than I like for certain things, like batter fried stuff. I prefer grape seed oil, which has a similar flavor with a higher smoke point.
Posted By: Jon P

Re: Fried some Chicken! - 04/15/14 12:04 AM

Dang gulf that looks good.
Posted By: retfuz

Re: Fried some Chicken! - 04/18/14 09:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Grosvenor
I love the taste of olive oil as much as anyone, but the smoke point is a bit lower than I like for certain things, like batter fried stuff. I prefer grape seed oil, which has a similar flavor with a higher smoke point.

Grapeseed oil is actually good for you.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Fried some Chicken! - 04/18/14 11:26 PM

Couple of interesting articles on cooking at high temps with olive oil. I guess the key is to not let it smoke..

Is it OK to cook with extra-virgin olive oil?

Dispelling the Myths of Frying with Olive Oil

Posted By: Theboyandi

Re: Fried some Chicken! - 04/20/14 02:52 AM

Good to know! I always avoided it for any high heat application but I love the flavor. I'm going to give it a shot.

Re: Fried some Chicken! - 04/20/14 07:14 AM

I never have an issue frying chicken chicken in olive oil and that's all i'll ever use for frying chicken. In my opinion if you're having issues with it you must have your heat turned up a little to much lol
Posted By: udamdan

Re: Fried some Chicken! - 04/20/14 11:31 AM

food
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Fried some Chicken! - 04/21/14 02:57 PM

been over ten years since Ive had home made fried chicken... some thing has got to change!

Saw a commercial on tv the other day that said contrary to all the hype canola oil is just as good or a little better for you when cooking than olive oil. Oh well there goes years of marketing.

Of course they preached corn syrup was so horrible for years and now all you hear is its no different than cane sugar health wise.

Looks like some darn good eats, think im gonna have to fry some and some home made ice cream to settle it all down, mmm mm!

Re: Fried some Chicken! - 04/21/14 07:12 PM

cheers
Posted By: Guy

Re: Fried some Chicken! - 04/22/14 04:07 PM

Originally Posted By: NewGulf
Originally Posted By: GO REBS

i just used flour is all...every once in awhile i might add just a bit of cornmeal to it...its all good up

I use flour and season the flour with Tony's. Do you do egg wash, then flour? If you go egg wash, then flour, then back in egg wash and back in flour, extra thick crust.

Re: Fried some Chicken! - 04/22/14 07:13 PM

I like to but my wife doesn't like the thicker crust but when I do it always comes out good! I always season my flour with Old Bay Blackened Seasoning awesome flavor and it only takes a little bit
Posted By: bjones2571

Re: Fried some Chicken! - 04/24/14 03:55 PM

Ive never fried chicken and that's gonna have to change this weekend. Someone help me out with a recipe/directions. cheers
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: Fried some Chicken! - 04/24/14 06:58 PM

Buy whole chicken, quarter, detach legs from thighs. Soak in butter milk over night in the fridge, if not over night, at least a couple of hours.

Create Chicken dredge, I eyeball it and use salt, pepper, garlic powder, old bay, and some creole. Be sure to put chicken in a strainer after soaking over night.

Dredge chicken, liberally, this is the only seasoning it will get. Once seasoned, put some AP flour in a Tupperware bowl, put chicken in bowl, lid on and shake. Do this for all pieces. Let sit for 3 minutes, long enough for the crust to stick but not too long where it gets pasty.

Heat oil in cast iron skillet to 325-350 degrees (that is right at heat level 6 for my burner). I use 1/3 inch high of crisco, you can use whatever you want, but don't use too much because we want to pan fry not deep fry.

Assemble the chicken as such: Breasts and legs outside, thighs in the middle (thighs take the longest). Start all pieces skin side down and cook each side for 10-12 minutes. Have a meat thermometer just in case, we are looking for 180 degrees. I usually do 12 minutes first side then 10 or 11 minutes next side.

DO NOT put the chicken on a paper towel when you take it out of the grease, this makes the skin get soggy. Put it on a cooling rack over a baking sheet. I give it one last sprinkle of salt and pepper then serve after resting 5 minutes.

The reason I season the chicken instead of the flour is because my Momma told me that the seasonings in the flour get burned up and don't leave much flavor, but what do I know. I have only ever seasoned the chicken so I do not know the difference.

Enjoy.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum