Texas Hunting Forum

Cooked Javalina

Posted By: redchevy

Cooked Javalina - 02/05/14 04:28 PM

I know a lot of people don't think they are edible, but I think its wrong. My wife and I each shot one last weekend at the ranch and processed them out. Skinning is pretty much the only part different from any other game animal. Once the hide is gone so is the smell.

My wife was skeptical but loved it.

Before

Ingredients
2-3 lbs cubed javalina, I used backstrap and ham muscles
Large onion
Large bell pepper
Salt
Pepper
Cumin
Paprika
chillipowder
Garlic powder
1/2 cup hot sauce
flour
water
1-stick butter

-Trim the meat into 1 inch or less cubes
-put meat in bowl and lightly coat in flour and season with the spices(you may need to add more spices while simmering just taste it and see)
-dice onion and bell pepper and sauté with stick of butter
-put on hi heat allow pan to get HOT then throw in meat and sear it. Make sure it doesn't burn.
-Cover with water, add hot sauce, bring to a boil then reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer till tender and forms a gravy (mine took about 3 hours)

It was late so I didn't get any done pictures, but it tasty. Lunch for a couple days!

matt
Posted By: PMK

Re: Cooked Javalina - 02/05/14 05:19 PM

yep, pretty good stuff once you get the hide off ... I was skeptical too the first time.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Cooked Javalina - 02/05/14 05:46 PM

I had it once years ago and liked it fine.
Posted By: Old_Town

Re: Cooked Javalina - 02/05/14 06:07 PM

Guiso de javelin. Looks good. I have had a few times and I always thought it was good.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Cooked Javalina - 02/06/14 01:00 AM

Good job! Like almost anything else it's good if you do it right. I see we use the same seasonings, even have the same stove.. roflmao
Posted By: mbavo

Re: Cooked Javalina - 02/06/14 02:15 PM

Javelina is good. Shot one a few years ago. I took care of it just like I would a deer. Gutted it, skinned it, and got it on ice. I had always heard they are not fit to eat, but I am the kind of guy that usually tries everything for myself. I processed it and fried up some blackstrap medallions and they were great. My family said they liked it better than venison. It was some good stuff. Made chili out of the rest,everyone that tried it loved it. But they would not believe me that it was javelina.
Posted By: Pointer

Re: Cooked Javalina - 02/06/14 08:23 PM

Many a year ago, I made a stew of javelina one day at noon. It tasted great. That evening, after coming from the deer stand, I tried warming up the same stew, and I could just barely get and keep it down.

I wonder if the beer I was drinking while I was cooking it may have had something to do with all this?

Re: Cooked Javalina - 02/06/14 08:29 PM

Not sure but I made it let it cool and stuck the whole pan in the fridge over night. Ate it for dinner the following night, wife took some in lunch the past two days, and if there is any left I will likely finish it for dinner tonight.

No problems yet. Throw it in a tortilla with some shredded cheese and hot sauce and you got some fine eatin! reheated or not
Posted By: TSU99

Re: Cooked Javalina - 02/06/14 10:18 PM

Going Javelina hunting next weekend. May have to try this one!

Re: Cooked Javalina - 02/06/14 11:49 PM

Originally Posted By: TSU99
Going Javelina hunting next weekend. May have to try this one!

Just don't cut into the hide along the back and wash hands after skinning. Good luck
Posted By: OFBHWG

Re: Cooked Javalina - 02/08/14 12:09 AM

I smoked several hind qtrs once for a friend and they turned out pretty good!
Posted By: bullnettle

Re: Cooked Javalina - 02/10/14 01:03 AM

Don't eat a bore sals OK

Re: Cooked Javalina - 02/10/14 03:04 PM

Originally Posted By: bullnettle
Don't eat a bore sals OK

Just so happens both the ones we shot were males. Taste just fine to me.
Posted By: Theboyandi

Re: Cooked Javalina - 02/10/14 03:44 PM

Posted By: 7mag

Re: Cooked Javalina - 02/16/14 08:47 PM

Shot more then I can count. They really aren't bad................................if you don't have to eat them.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum