Texas Hunting Forum

backstrap ideas?

Posted By: webstertroy

backstrap ideas? - 08/14/12 06:58 PM

Give me some Ideas to grill some veneson backstrap.....

Posted By: Cast

Re: backstrap ideas? - 08/14/12 07:29 PM

YUCK! Throw that crud out. Better yet, I'll come and do it for you so you don't have to touch it.

Posted By: bwk1975

Re: backstrap ideas? - 08/14/12 10:44 PM

I say grill it chicken fried steak style, forget the grill chicken fry it!

Posted By: udamdan

Re: backstrap ideas? - 08/15/12 11:49 PM

Ingredients:

Venison backstrap cut to 1/2-inch thick medallions
2 cups of milk & 2 eggs mixed
salt and coarse ground pepper
flour
garlic powder

Preparation:

Pound venison to flatten evenly and tenderize a bit. Put the venison in a large bowl with the milk . Let mixture stand for 1 hour. Take the venison out of the milk mixture; drain slightly and then season with salt, pepper, and other seasonings to taste then roll in the flour twice.
Drop into hot oil (about 360° to 370° on a deep fry thermometer) and fry until browned. Do not overcook!
Make the cream gravy with some of the pan drippings, a little flour, and some milk.

Served with Garlic mashed potatos & buttered corn food

Posted By: bill oxner

Re: backstrap ideas? - 08/16/12 12:06 AM

Try K-bobs.

Posted By: #Hayraker

Re: backstrap ideas? - 08/16/12 12:09 AM

butterfly then chicken fry

Posted By: kmon11

Re: backstrap ideas? - 08/16/12 12:43 AM

Love some grilled backstrap. Usually just do this.

Remove silverskin

Coat heavy with Montreal Steak Seasoning, Let sit in fridge a while then take out before grilling and allow to come to room temp. Grill to rare or medium rare. Let rest 10 minutes, slice thin 1/8 inch works great. Serve with mashed sweet potatoes and other favorite veggie. If any is leftover it makes for great sandwhich meat.

When I put backstraps in the freezer, they get cut in 6inch or so sections and the above is how they almost always get cooked

Posted By: KC

Re: backstrap ideas? - 08/16/12 12:58 AM

Cut it 3/4-1", get a cast iron skillet hot enough to make a drop of water dance, slap a little olive oil on the meat, throw it on the skillet long enough to sear each side, then chow down.

Posted By: JCB

Re: backstrap ideas? - 08/16/12 01:11 AM

This is what I usually do with mine.

I just mix up some Italian Dressing, Worcestershire, butter, garlic powder, and other various seasonings and smoke it for a couple hours. I use the same blend of stuff on the red butter taters too. Taters usually take longer than the meat so I keep them closer to the heat so they get done around the same time. The juice makes for a nice gravy too.

ITS AS GOOD AS IT LOOKS TOO. grin

Posted By: Jase

Re: backstrap ideas? - 08/16/12 05:24 PM

Jcb, do you close up that foil or smoke it open like that? Gonna have to try that way!

Posted By: scattergun

Re: backstrap ideas? - 08/16/12 07:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Hayraker
butterfly then chicken fry

up

Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: backstrap ideas? - 08/16/12 09:38 PM

grilled to sear in, then into foil with onions, peppers, garlic, is very good; foil packs of squash/onions, or brocolli/carrots etc are very good with it;

It also makes the best fajitas/steak taco's ever....

Posted By: JCB

Re: backstrap ideas? - 08/17/12 01:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Jase
Jcb, do you close up that foil or smoke it open like that? Gonna have to try that way!

I keep the meat simi closed to keep all the liquid from evaporating. Gotta keep it open a little though to let some of the smoke in. I have left it wide open before but you have to keep a close eye on it to make sure it dont dry out.

The taters I leave wide open and even bring them to a boil at times to soften them up real good. The more the liquid dries up on those the better as long as you dont dry the taters out. As the liquid evaporates on those it gets thicker and leaves a nice glaze of flavor on them. grill

Posted By: n-all

Re: backstrap ideas? - 08/17/12 01:48 AM

Had some last nite at a friends house..best Ive ever had..dnt knw how he breaded it ..very light flour..spices..olive oil..it was like it was grilled..but in a black iron..

Posted By: Dave B

Re: backstrap ideas? - 08/18/12 08:11 PM

Originally Posted By: JCB

I just mix up some Italian Dressing, Worcestershire, butter, garlic powder, and other various seasonings and smoke it for a couple hours. I use the same blend of stuff on the red butter taters too. Taters usually take longer than the meat so I keep them closer to the heat so they get done around the same time. The juice makes for a nice gravy too.

Sure do look good. Gonna have to give this a try.

Posted By: Guy

Re: backstrap ideas? - 08/19/12 01:02 AM

Originally Posted By: DBman
Originally Posted By: JCB

Sure do look good. Gonna have to give this a try.

I'm pro foil as well, looks good!

Posted By: wheelsonfire

Re: backstrap ideas? - 08/19/12 07:47 PM

I've braised it Asian-style with great results.

1. Lightly saute 1 onion, 3 or more chopped garlic cloves, and some shaved or chopped ginger in some olive oil. Set aside.

2. Take a dutch oven and lightly oil. Sear backstrap over high heat on both sides on the stove. Set aside.

3. Add saute, backstrap, one American Ale, 1/4c soy sauce, 1/4c hoisin sauce to dutch oven. Add sriracha if you like heat. Bring to a simmer.

4. Place dutch oven in 300 degree oven and braise for 2.5-3 hours.

Serve with mashed potatoes and pour braising liquid over them. Or, snap-peas.

Edit: For the grill, sear it over high heat and continue with above recipe.

Posted By: Wader

Re: backstrap ideas? - 08/21/12 04:46 PM

Cut in 1" medallions, season to taste - I just use salt/pepper/garlic powder, sear on both sides, and serve. Less is more, save the fancy fixins for cuts of meat & critters that are less desirable. 2cents

-ww

Posted By: dmongo

Re: backstrap ideas? - 08/21/12 06:23 PM

+1 on the foil.
I usually add some sliced onions and maybe a little clove garlic and wrap it up.

Posted By: RafterH

Re: backstrap ideas? - 08/21/12 08:07 PM

These are my favorite ways.

1. Marinate in sun dried tomato dressing in fridge for a few hours and grill to slightly over rare. Serve with baked potato, bacon wrapped dove (if I have any at the time) and a cold Blue Moon.

2. Sear in butter in cast iron skillet. Serve with home fires and sunny side up eggs.

Posted By: Mr Redneck

Re: backstrap ideas? - 08/22/12 12:49 AM

I have to chicken fry it, I cant make myself eat it rare..

Posted By: txshotgun

Re: backstrap ideas? - 08/27/12 11:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Wader
Less is more, save the fancy fixins for cuts of meat & critters that are less desirable. 2cents
-ww

Amen!
Posted By: huntingbig8

Re: backstrap ideas? - 09/03/12 04:13 PM

Just like a dove wrap. Small cleaned pieces. Marinate over night with your favorites, wrap in bacon with onion, tamed Mezzettos jalapeņo and Tony's Creole seasoning. Grill till medium. Best you ever had
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: backstrap ideas? - 09/03/12 07:23 PM

All those recipes look excellent.
Posted By: Gingerbeard Man

Re: backstrap ideas? - 09/03/12 09:06 PM

marinate it in teriyaki sauce(and anything else you may like) for a day, slice it REALLY thin, cook it in a pan with onions, caramelize said onions...get french bread, toss meat and onions on bread with provolone cheese, enjoy
Posted By: HLo

Re: backstrap ideas? - 09/03/12 11:51 PM

Since I cook over a gas grill at home and (wood at the ranch) I usually pour a little liquid smoke and steak rub over the meat and let sit in the refrigerator for a few hours. Then grill both sides for about 3 minutes then take off. Learned that from this forum and it turns out good. This time I am going to try the same but marinate it in milk overnight first. I have heard that helps tenderize it and get some of the blood out..we will see how it goes.
Posted By: Ringer1

Re: backstrap ideas? - 09/09/12 02:27 PM

I saw this on Hunt, Fish, Cook anout five years ago and will never make my deer staek any other way. I used to be a chicken fried steak or wrap in bacon and cook till the bacon is done type guy. That's until i tried it this way.

Remove the silver skin
Cut to 1" thick pieces
Soak in milk for about an hour to remove any gamey taste
Add Uncle Chris' Gourmet Steat Seasoning by Fiesta. You can buy this at Albrtsons. This is the best steak seasoning around.
Get your grill HOT. As hot as it can get.
Put you steaks on for 3 minutes a side.
Rest for five minutes. I sometimes put some butter on mine while they rest.
Enjoy the best deer steak you've ever had!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum