Texas Hunting Forum

Best Crawfish/Shrimp Boil

Posted By: ATX Hunter

Best Crawfish/Shrimp Boil - 03/23/12 04:33 PM

I have heard Slap yo mama is pretty good for boiling crawfish. What do you guys use?

Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Best Crawfish/Shrimp Boil - 03/23/12 04:58 PM

That's good, as is Swamp Fire. I usually mix the 2. They taste very different from each other and mix very well.

Posted By: ATX Hunter

Re: Best Crawfish/Shrimp Boil - 03/23/12 05:00 PM

How do they taste different? See you might have solved my problem bc the boil I use is really spicy but has no flavor. I love the spice just need something thats got a little taste to it to.

Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Best Crawfish/Shrimp Boil - 03/24/12 02:40 AM

Slap ya Mama is cayenne heavy. Swampfire is a different flavor. More of a garlic/herb/Old Bay kind of flavor.

Posted By: ATracker

Re: Best Crawfish/Shrimp Boil - 03/24/12 03:39 AM

I have a friend that does crawfish boils for small businesses and parties. He buys a wholesale dry boil mix and it is definitely different than the store bought boil mix. It is heavy on cayenne and salt but what I can detect is it has crushed celery seed in it. I have yet to duplicate the exact ingredients but I’m getting close. In addition to this boil mix he adds Zatarains concentrated shrimp and crab liquid boil. I have to say the water is very toxic but it does the best job for flavoring I have ever tasted. I have never tried the dry boil mentioned but if you add the Zatarains I bet it would make a difference.

Posted By: easton1025

Re: Best Crawfish/Shrimp Boil - 03/24/12 08:51 PM

make your own...Thats what I do.....I cant stand all the MSG they use now...for a 35 lb sack I use....4 cups Rock salt,1 cup celery seed.1/2 cup bay leaf powder.2 cup cayenne pepper... 160z bottle lemon juice....1/2 cup clove powder..1 cup garlic powder...1/2 cup corriander seed.....If I do a second sack I duplicate the recipe..but for a 3rd sack just use the same water.boil for 4 minutes..cut the flame off...dump one bag of ice in there and stir..soak for 15 minutes.....Promise you will not be disappointed...

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum