Texas Hunting Forum

Tenderloins

Posted By: KansasBow

Tenderloins - 10/10/11 03:55 AM

What do yall do with your venison tenderloins and how do you cook them. Just looking for new ideas

Posted By: txshntr

Re: Tenderloins - 10/10/11 03:58 AM

I just cooked some up tonight from the deer I killed last weekend. Cut them into small bite size pieces and fried them in the skillet. Fried some rice and mixed in peppers, potatoes, corn, green beans and seasoned with garlic and onion powder. Sprinkled a little croele seasoning on it once I mixed it all together.

Not too bad for just throwing stuff together.

Posted By: nuprofessor

Re: Tenderloins - 10/12/11 05:13 AM

Sometimes I make it like chicken fried steak and put it in gravy to simmer. Other times I just quick panfry it, then place in oven to finish slow cooking.
Either way is great.

Posted By: kmon11

Re: Tenderloins - 10/14/11 01:53 AM

Cover them whole with Montreal steak seasoning, put in ziplock bag for over night or morning until about 1 hour before cooking. take out of fridge and let them come up to room temp. Cook on grill until rare or med-rare. Slice thin and serve. also makes great sandwich meat this way.

Brought some into work done this way and served as slider sandwiches on potato rolls and one of the ladies that "doesn't like venison" said it was the best meat she ever ate

Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Tenderloins - 10/14/11 04:03 AM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
Cover them whole with Montreal steak seasoning, put in ziplock bag for over night or morning until about 1 hour before cooking. take out of fridge and let them come up to room temp. Cook on grill until rare or med-rare. Slice thin and serve. also makes great sandwich meat this way.

Brought some into work done this way and served as slider sandwiches on potato rolls and one of the ladies that "doesn't like venison" said it was the best meat she ever ate

can I put this as my sig line? oh, nevermind!

Posted By: RobertY

Re: Tenderloins - 10/14/11 12:55 PM

I give them to the land owner, if I even remove them. If the deer isn't going to hang up overnight, they stay behind the guts. Sorry, I just don't like going through all that work and getting messy for two little pieces of meat.

Posted By: Justin T

Re: Tenderloins - 10/14/11 04:31 PM

Originally Posted By: RobertYuras
I give them to the land owner, if I even remove them. If the deer isn't going to hang up overnight, they stay behind the guts. Sorry, I just don't like going through all that work and getting messy for two little pieces of meat.

It isn't hard at all. You don't have to gut them. Just hang them, skin and quarter, then the guts will fall towards the chest cavity, you have to cut away a bit of the lining, and they are right there. Totally worth the effort.

Posted By: RobertY

Re: Tenderloins - 10/14/11 06:07 PM

True...I guess I never really thought of it. I know they are good, but I normally give them away.

Posted By: KeithTT

Re: Tenderloins - 10/14/11 07:07 PM

don't waste em' man. They call em' TENDERloin's for a reason. One of the best part's on the deer if you ask me. After cutting them out of the deer take a fork or a tenderizing mallet and get after them leaving alot of tiny holes in them. Marinade just like your favorite steak. I prefer the south texas mesquite marinade, a little seasoned salt, splash of worchesteshire, pepper, onion powder, put in zip lock baggy and shake it up and leave it over night. Next day make for dinner or lunch with a baked potato and salad and you will love it.

Posted By: TXCobb

Re: Tenderloins - 10/15/11 03:07 PM

Been making them this way for years, Slice into filets and tenderize with a meat mallet. Squeeze lemon juice on both sides and salt and pepper to taste. Melt 2 Tbs butter in heavy skillet and saute the filets over high heat. Remove filets and melt 2 more Tbs of butter in the skillet and pour the juices over the meat before serving.
Never any leftovers

Posted By: udamdan

Re: Tenderloins - 10/15/11 10:40 PM

grin

Re: Tenderloins - 10/16/11 04:45 PM

Dan, those are the backstraps, analogous to a strip steak. The tenderloins are what are cut to make filet mignon.

Re: Tenderloins - 10/16/11 04:46 PM

Originally Posted By: TXCobb
Been making them this way for years, Slice into filets and tenderize with a meat mallet. Squeeze lemon juice on both sides and salt and pepper to taste. Melt 2 Tbs butter in heavy skillet and saute the filets over high heat. Remove filets and melt 2 more Tbs of butter in the skillet and pour the juices over the meat before serving.
Never any leftovers

Sounds good. Very simple as well.

Posted By: Believer

Re: Tenderloins - 10/17/11 10:25 PM

onions.......garlic............ butter......... cracked pepper..............cook em low and slow

Posted By: pokerj2

Re: Tenderloins - 10/19/11 02:51 AM

Deep fry

Posted By: hiodon

Re: Tenderloins - 10/21/11 01:41 AM

I just use Lawrey's, fresh-cracked black pepper, and garlic powder to season them. I grill to 135 internal temp and let them rest for 5-10 minutes under a foil tent. Works for me.

Posted By: BOONER

Re: Tenderloins - 10/22/11 05:46 AM

Hell I guess I am the only one that eats them raw. Do it just like ceviche with a little lime juice fresh black pepper and sea salt. Cant be beat.

Posted By: Mberet

Re: Tenderloins - 10/24/11 10:59 PM

1/2 cup of oil 1/2 cup Worcestershire in a zip lock let set over night pull them out and wrap in bacon. And on to the grill they go

Posted By: kmon11

Re: Tenderloins - 10/26/11 11:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Mberet
1/2 cup of oil 1/2 cup Worcestershire in a zip lock let set over night pull them out and wrap in bacon. And on to the grill they go

Try adding 1/4 cup of Maple syrup to that mix

Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Tenderloins - 11/02/11 04:04 AM

Marinate in Dale's, wrap in bacon, place on very hot grill for 5 - 10 minutes

Best wild game I have ever eaten

I had a pretty decent size doe processed but it sure didn't amount to much when it came to the tenderloins

Posted By: HJHAWK

Re: Tenderloins - 11/15/11 02:54 AM

Originally Posted By: BOONERDREAMING
Hell I guess I am the only one that eats them raw. Do it just like ceviche with a little lime juice fresh black pepper and sea salt. Cant be beat.

my husband would love this recipe! he likes his steak rare....and i mean still bleeding...lol!

Posted By: activescrape

Re: Tenderloins - 11/19/11 02:22 PM

Originally Posted By: ndhunter
Marinate in Dale's, wrap in bacon, place on very hot grill for 5 - 10 minutes

Best wild game I have ever eaten

I had a pretty decent size doe processed but it sure didn't amount to much when it came to the tenderloins

This is the way I do it. I guess you could season with whatever you like, but after that, wrap in some good bacon, like Wrights. Then grill them fast over a hot mesquite fire just until med rare to rare. It will blow your hair back.

Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Tenderloins - 11/29/11 03:44 PM

Another gourmet meal cooked in the hotel room......venison tenderloins, marinated & seasoned with "Slap Ya Mama's", stuffed with red ripe jalepenos & sweet bell peppers from my garden/cream cheese & onions. Wrapped in thick peppered bacon & cooked to perfection in my lil' convection oven. Baked potatoes on the side, voila! AWESOMENESS!!...I'm working out of town & staying in a hotel room, so no grill or bbq pit around frown This was supper last night smile

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum