Texas Hunting Forum

Grilled Sausage Stuffed Tomatoes and Peppers

Posted By: CDN

Grilled Sausage Stuffed Tomatoes and Peppers - 09/05/11 08:51 PM

I have been meaning all summer to get this recipe on here before summer and the gardening season is over. Here it is Labor Day, and I am finally getting around to it. Talk about taking it to the wire! We love to grow tomatoes and peppers in our garden and use them in a variety of recipes. Here's one of our favorites for a nice summer evening meal.

What you'll need:

2-4 medium to large bell peppers

2-4 medium to large tomatoes (the ingredients listed below will make about 6-8 stuffed peppers or tomatoes total)

1/2 -3/4 pound of ground pork sausage

1 cup chopped Vidalia or sweet onion

1/4 cup chopped celery

2 teaspoons minced garlic

1 1/2 cups cooked long grain rice

1/2 teaspoon celery salt

1/2 teaspoon Old WoodFire Grill BBQ Rub

1/4 cup chopped green onions

1 tablespoon chopped parsley

2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs, crushed

2 tablespoons grated Parmesan

4 tablespoons unsalted butter

Start by building a medium heat fire in the grill, say around 350 degrees. I did this cook in the Weber Kettle, and used one chimney of lump charcoal, banked to one side to create a hot and a cool side. Cut the top from the peppers and tomatoes and scoop out the insides, removing all seeds and veins.

Next, cook the sausage until done in a large skillet, crumbling it as it simmers. Add the onions and celery and cook until soft. Now, add the garlic, cooked rice and season with the celery salt and Old WoodFire Grill BBQ Rub. Stir in the skillet until mixed thoroughly. Remove the skillet from the heat and add the green onions and parsley. Mix together the bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese in a bowl. Stuff the tomatoes and pepper shells with the sausage mixture, then top it off with a crust of the bread crumb and Parmesan mixture. Put 1 teaspoon of butter on top of each crusted tomato and pepper.

You are now ready for the grill. Clean the cooking grate with a brush and put a light coat of oil on it. Place the tomatoes and the peppers on the cool side of the grate, opposite the coals, and let them cook for about 25 minutes, or until the crust has browned and crisped up and the shells are just starting to soften. You'll notice in the picture I did some stuffed jalapenos when I did this cook as well. Serve them up hot!

Posted By: Bittercreek

Re: Grilled Sausage Stuffed Tomatoes and Peppers - 09/06/11 01:46 AM

That is some Goodness!!!!
Thanks for sharing!!

Posted By: boliverpete

Re: Grilled Sausage Stuffed Tomatoes and Peppers - 09/13/11 03:15 PM

that looks and sounds fantastic

Posted By: sallysue

Re: Grilled Sausage Stuffed Tomatoes and Peppers - 09/13/11 08:56 PM

This deserves a bump Looks dang good

Posted By: moderno

Re: Grilled Sausage Stuffed Tomatoes and Peppers - 09/13/11 11:54 PM

Going to have to try that sometime, looks real good. My mother would make stuffed bell peppers when I was a small kid and I hated them, rather take a whipping than eat one. I guess getting older has changed quite a few things in my life.

Posted By: Gator Killer

Re: Grilled Sausage Stuffed Tomatoes and Peppers - 09/15/11 01:04 AM

looks great food

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum