Texas Hunting Forum

Lets hear your brisket recipe

Posted By: daniel25s

Lets hear your brisket recipe - 02/22/11 05:03 PM

I have made some good briskets and some real bad ones as well.

lets see what recipes you have

Posted By: MELackey

Re: Lets hear your brisket recipe - 02/22/11 05:47 PM

I did one last year with the bbq rub from B&W Meat Market on North Shepherd. I thought it was good.

Posted By: DCS

Re: Lets hear your brisket recipe - 02/23/11 02:07 PM

Step 1

Normally, I rub them up with Brisket Rub, garlic powder, salt and pepper. I then put it in an uncented plastic bag in the fridge for at least 24 hours. I have gone as long as 36 hours.

I start the fire in the pit with charcoal and then migrate over to hickory keeping the temp at 225. I leave them in the smoke for five hours and then wrap them up in foil for the last five hours.

I have recently been letting them soak in brine water for 24 hours, take them out and go back to step one.

One the next one, I am thinking about rubbing them up with spices and brining all in one step.

The first method works pretty good though.

Posted By: redchevy

Re: Lets hear your brisket recipe - 02/23/11 03:19 PM

I rub mine down with a mixture of

Season all
Garlic powder
black peper
cumin
chili powder
little bit of red pepper
little bit of brown sugar

I dont have portions, mix till it taste rite rub it down cook less than 250 not raped fat side up.

matt

Posted By: Justin T

Re: Lets hear your brisket recipe - 02/23/11 03:39 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

Season all
Garlic powder
black peper
cumin
chili powder
little bit of red pepper

I dont have portions, mix till it taste rite rub it down cook less than 250 not raped fat side up.

matt

eek2

Posted By: boliverpete

Re: Lets hear your brisket recipe - 02/23/11 05:20 PM

I've used Obie-cue's brisket rub for years but lately I've switched to Texas Pride rub from San Antonio. Rub it down good the night before and set in the fridge. I use a 12-15lbs untrimmed brisket and trim off the really thick hard parts of the fat that wont render down before I put on the rub.
With the smoker I have, i start with 15 lbs of charcoal and several chunks of hickory. After the temp comes up, I close all the vents(it's not air tight) and it get's enough of a draft to sit around 210-220 for 6 hours, then add more charcoal and hickory. Smoke it fat side down for a couple of hours, then flip over smoke for another 10-12 fat side up. At this point I wrap it in foil and set it in the oven at 225 for around 4 hours but it's not really necessary just the way I've always done it. Really makes it fall apart. I guess I'll try it like all the bbq competitors do, and not wrap it in foil one of these days. I really want to try and make some burt ends. banana banana2

Re: Lets hear your brisket recipe - 02/23/11 09:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Justin T
Originally Posted By: redchevy

Season all
Garlic powder
black peper
cumin
chili powder
little bit of red pepper

matt

eek2

Well I dont wrap it or rape it... Do you rape yours? trout

Posted By: daniel25s

Re: Lets hear your brisket recipe - 02/23/11 10:32 PM

Like a warm apple pie huh hahahahah

Posted By: GO REBS

Re: Lets hear your brisket recipe - 02/24/11 12:23 AM

kosher salt
fresh cracked pepper
honey
10-12 pound flexible brisket

rub generously with salt & pepper. smoke under 250 with oak and pecan fat side down 3 hours then fat up for 4-5 hours. coat with honey wrap in foil couple hours till done.

Posted By: MELackey

Re: Lets hear your brisket recipe - 02/24/11 05:42 PM

honey? Never tried it, but I will do that the next time. I like a little sweet on my meat...

Posted By: longone

Re: Lets hear your brisket recipe - 02/25/11 01:34 AM

Start with a 15-17 lb brisket, rub wit REO brand bbq rub, let it set over night in the fridge covered, then they day of cooking let the brisket set out for 4-6 hours @ room temp to relax the meat.
cook @ 230-250 over oak base, with pecan added.. 10-12 hours.

Posted By: Scurvy Dog

Re: Lets hear your brisket recipe - 02/25/11 09:59 PM

Originally Posted By: GO REBS
kosher salt
fresh cracked pepper
honey
10-12 pound flexible brisket

rub generously with salt & pepper. smoke under 250 with oak and pecan fat side down 3 hours then fat up for 4-5 hours. coat with honey wrap in foil couple hours till done.

That would work just fine. My personal preference is fat up the entire trip.......

Posted By: ckat

Re: Lets hear your brisket recipe - 02/26/11 05:24 AM

I used to work at a BBQ and steak restaurant and we used a really easy recipe. Start with a good quality brisket (flexible) - heavily salt the fat side - rub the salt in - and smoke unwrapped, fat side up for around 9 hours at 225-250 degrees. We would then wrap in saran wrap, then foil and could keep in the refrigerator for up to 7 days. That would allow us to precook for the week.

To reheat, we put it in a convection oven at 350 degrees for 1 - 1 1/2 hours.

To me, cutting the brisket is one of the keys to a good brisket. Fat side up, trim the fat layer off, and then divide the two halves. Top half (with the marbling) is your chopped, and the bottom half (lean) is your sliced - make sure to cut across the grain.

Posted By: Tuoms

Re: Lets hear your brisket recipe - 02/28/11 02:28 PM

I usually trim my briskets up pretty good, leaving the point and flat connected. I inject it with some worcestershire, beef bouillon, some beer, accent, and a couple other things. And then I rub it. wrap it in plastic wrap and put it in the fridge for 24 hours. I like my briskets trimmed, most of the fat doesn't render, and doesnt penetrate the meat. Sure you can cut the fat off after it is cooked, but 1. thats a hassle, and 2. the smoke doesn't penetrate the fat into the meat, and the rub is on the fat that you are cutting off. I also cook fat side down, it acts as a barrier between the heat and the meat. cook is low and slow, for about 5 or 6 hours till the temp reaches 150, wrap it in foil (called the Texas Crutch) continue to cook until temp reaches 190, take it off and slice against grain. Easiest way to know which way the grain is running is to take a mental picture or document it before you put your rub on.

Posted By: TexasFJ

Re: Lets hear your brisket recipe - 02/28/11 06:17 PM

Did one yesterday. I am pretty simple with my briskets.

Rub:

Salt
Pepper
Garlic powder

Smoke at 225 until the internal temp reaches 190.

The one I did yesterday I separated the point and flat. When the flat reached temp, I wrapped it in foil and held it in a cooler wrapped in towels. I cut the point into 1 inch cubes, added a little more rub and some bbq sauce. Put this in a pan and back into the smoker for another hour. We ate those chunks as an appetizer. Then sliced the flat, pulled the pork, spooned the beans, opened a beer and went to town. Nothing like the first bbq of the year.

Posted By: streetdemon70

Re: Lets hear your brisket recipe - 03/08/11 03:40 PM

Mine is pretty simple also. a rub salt pepper garlic salt and a little onion powder on mine. Then smoke it fat side up for 10-12 hours depending on size using mesquite wood.

Re: Lets hear your brisket recipe - 03/09/11 09:26 PM

Quote:
To me, cutting the brisket is one of the keys to a good brisket. Fat side up, trim the fat layer off, and then divide the two halves. Top half (with the marbling) is your chopped, and the bottom half (lean) is your sliced - make sure to cut across the grain.

This is very true

Re: Lets hear your brisket recipe - 03/10/11 05:56 PM

I totally agree. I have had good tasting brisket, but it was ruined when they cut it with the grain. Cut a decent brisket across the grain and it can be fork tender.

Posted By: Damaged85

Re: Lets hear your brisket recipe - 03/11/11 04:25 AM

salt and pepper< all you need

Posted By: maestasranch

Re: Lets hear your brisket recipe - 03/11/11 06:18 AM

My husband makes his with Claude's brisket marinade--marinates it for 2 or 3 days in the fridge and cooks it overnight on hardwood coals in a fire pit. Mmmmmmmm.

Posted By: Damaged85

Re: Lets hear your brisket recipe - 03/11/11 11:20 PM

Originally Posted By: maestasranch
My husband makes his with Claude's brisket marinade--marinates it for 2 or 3 days in the fridge and cooks it overnight on hardwood coals in a fire pit. Mmmmmmmm.

I love the claudes fajita marinade

Posted By: Kimo

Re: Lets hear your brisket recipe - 03/24/11 02:58 AM

Salt, pepper, seasoning salt, garlic powder. Use as much as you think you need. Rub it in real good, cover with 2-3 lbs of brown sugar, shrink wrap with clear (saran) wrap, put in fridge for at least 24 hours, turn it over every 12 or so. Take wrap off. Smoke for 3-4 hours around 250 degrees, wrap in H.D. foil and smoke for another 4-5 hours. Enjoy. This is a variant of a recipe Earl Campbell uses. It works great on ribs and chicken.

Posted By: Rollin Shabbos

Re: Lets hear your brisket recipe - 03/30/11 04:12 PM

I do brisket a little different. Mostly based on amount of time it takes to cook.

Step 1- is brisket selection!- This is the hardest part of cooking a brisket. When you pick up a brisket, grab the thicker end and see if it flexes. It should be bendable. If it is to firm dont use that brisket!

Step 2- Rub it with whatever you want and let it get to room temp

Step 3- Turn oven on to 175 degrees. Put it in the oven covered and fat side up when you go to bed. Take it out of the oven when you get up.

Step 4- fire up smoker to 225-250 put brisket in 4 hours uncovered.

Thats my recipe... I use Kuby's rub

Posted By: RICK O'SHAY

Re: Lets hear your brisket recipe - 03/30/11 04:17 PM

I've never had brisket that I really liked.

BUT! I helped a guy cook brisket one day and he cooked them in an aluminum turkey pan, he cut potatos in half and made stands (or legs) to put under the brisket... Those were the best dang potatos I've ever eaten !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: Qwaak

Re: Lets hear your brisket recipe - 03/31/11 04:04 PM

Im partial to chopped beef but usally Ill rub them down with whatever rub im into at the time. I'll leave most of the fat on. fat adds flavor and ill wrap in foil and cook half the time in foil and half out after cooking ill chop and add to large pan and in whiskey how much you ask? depends on how much we have and how late in the weekend it is and then a few cups bbq sauce and simmer for 1 hour. Add it on some soft burger buns pickles and onions.

Posted By: ijohnston

Re: Lets hear your brisket recipe - 03/31/11 05:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Qwaak
Im partial to chopped beef but usally Ill rub them down with whatever rub im into at the time. I'll leave most of the fat on. fat adds flavor and ill wrap in foil and cook half the time in foil and half out after cooking ill chop and add to large pan and in whiskey how buch you ask depends on how much we have and how lat in the weekend it is and then a few cups bbq sauce and simmer for 1 hour. add it on some soft burger buns pickles and onions.

Qwaack - Do you wrap in foil at the beginning then unwrap and cook? or do you do the opposite? I LOVE my brisket and it always turns out tender and juicy. One thing I have not been able to master is getting the outside nice and crisp. Any thoughts anyone? anyone?

Posted By: jaymz

Re: Lets hear your brisket recipe - 03/31/11 05:26 PM

I use the one from the BGE site and it's gooooooooood. You could modify it to fit your needs if you don't have a BGE. I think the key to the crisp outside is a good rub, higher heat for the first hour or two then lower the heat.

http://www.biggreenegg.com/brisket.html

Quote:
Beef Brisket
Submitted by Nature Boy
Ingredients:
1/2 cup coarse kosher or sea salt
1/3 cup black pepper
1/4 cup granulated garlic
1/4 cup ground mild chilies such as ancho or chimayo
2 tbsp celery seed
2 tsp cumin
1/2 cup beef broth
Optional: Wood Chips

Most butcher shops can get whole "packer trimmed" briskets for you, though it often requires ordering in advance. In certain parts of the country all you can find are the small "flat" cuts, often in the 4 to 6-pound range, and while these will suffice, a whole brisket cooks up much better. A 4 to 6-pound "flat" cut will cook for approximately 8 to 10 hours; an 8 to 14-pound whole "packer trimmed" brisket will cook for approximately 14 to 18 hours
Trim the brisket of any fat that is thicker than one eighth-inch. It is very important to always slice brisket against the grain when serving. Identify which way the grain in the brisket runs and cut a notch in the end so you will know where to initiate the first cross-grain cut.
Place all of the seasonings in food processor or blender and pulse until thoroughly blended. Spread the rub generously over the brisket, wrap in foil or plactic wrap and let rest for one to two hours.
Set the EGG® up for indirect cooking with a plate setter at 250°F. Add in soaked wood chips (oak, hickory, apple or cherry) if you choose.
Cook until the internal temperature of the meat is 150°F, and then reduce the EGG temperature to 225°F. When the meat temperature approaches 185°F, begin checking for tenderness (insert a fork into the brisket and give a slight twist; if the meat gives easily without much resistance, then the meat is done). Wrap tightly in foil with a half-cup of beef broth and place in a warm ice chest for 1 to 3 hours. Slice brisket against the grain, reserving the juice to brush on or use as a dip.

Posted By: Qwaak

Re: Lets hear your brisket recipe - 03/31/11 09:36 PM

I wrap then unwrap

Posted By: Texaswolf

Re: Lets hear your brisket recipe - 04/12/11 03:11 PM

salt, pepper and smoke.....thats it....1 and 1/2 hour per pound...

Re: Lets hear your brisket recipe - 04/14/11 08:23 PM

If you wrap first it will cut down on the smoke flavor. Meat will only absorb smoke until it reaches a certain temp, for brisket that is about the first 3-4 hours. After that you are just cooking to bring the internal temp up. Sometime I will foil at teh end of teh cook, onlyto help speed up the cook. It will intensify the heat and get the internal temp up faster. Most of the time I try to cook without foiling.

Posted By: pegasaurus

Re: Lets hear your brisket recipe - 04/19/11 01:43 PM

Brine and smoke low and slow.... food

Posted By: SatNiteSpec

Re: Lets hear your brisket recipe - 04/19/11 03:15 PM

I'm ready for them to go on sale agian.

Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Lets hear your brisket recipe - 04/28/11 08:41 PM

If I have the time I do brisket on the smoker but if its deer season and i'm at the ranch and dont want to get covered in smoke smell I use a crock pot, dont laugh it works great and tastes great too. put brisket fat side up season with garlic salt,open a dry package lipton onion soup mix and pore it on top,next open a can of cranberrysauce(the kind with real chunks of cranberries) you can add potatos and carrots and its kind of like granny's sunday roast.The best part is the eating but also it takes only about 5 mins. of prep.Cook on low for at least4-5hours,Bon Apetit

Posted By: Tacobass

Re: Lets hear your brisket recipe - 05/16/11 02:07 PM

I have tried about every rub out there. I have created my own but always come back to the Adkins Briskett Rub that you find at Walmart. Thaw briskett apply rub gererously. Wrap in cellaphane and but in the fridge overnight. Put on mesquite smoke for 5 to 6 hours. Take of wrap in fool and go another 5 to 6 hours. Easy recipe turns out great eveytime. The only issue is everyone will ask you to smoke them for every occasion know to man.

Posted By: Cool Mo D

Re: Lets hear your brisket recipe - 05/27/11 09:57 PM

Originally Posted By: maestasranch

I also use Claude's. I pour on some and then use a rub. I cover and in the oven at 225 for 2 hrs. Then uncovered on the smoker till? I don't have a gauge on my small one. I have a buddy that does his on the smoker and then the oven. Both pretty good!!

Posted By: DSP56

Re: Lets hear your brisket recipe - 05/28/11 10:45 PM

I trim mine before I cook them. Then I add my rub and then grape jelly. I use a spicy rub so the jelly adds a little sweet to the meat. I smoke them for 4 hrs unwrapped in then wrapped for 2 hrs.

This thread is making me aweful hungry!!! food cheers banana

Posted By: Craig B

Re: Lets hear your brisket recipe - 05/29/11 04:20 PM

I use the same approach as some here. Start with a brisket that will flex. Salt, pepper and garlic and overnight in the fridge. Smoke at 225 fat side up for 4-6 hours then wrap in butcher paper. Continue cooking at 225 until tender. Slide the wrapped brisket into a foil turkey pan to collect the juice and remove the paper. Slice and return to turkey pan with juice. Enjoy with your favorite sides and something cold to drink.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum