Texas Hunting Forum

Fried balony

Posted By: bill oxner

Fried balony - 06/11/10 12:50 AM

My tomatoes have been in for about 3 weeks. I'm having a BLT each morning for breakfast. I started with a turkey-bacon club for lunch, then went to tuna salad with a big slice of tomato. The tuna salad ran out so today I went with a fried bologna sandwich, with a big slice of tomato, which covered the whole sandwich. I went with the thick sliced stuff and fried in in bacon grease, then made Texas toast from the leftover grease. It was delicious. Ever had fried bologna?

Posted By: mustafa

Re: Fried balony - 06/11/10 01:07 AM

We used to call it alabama round steaks. Not sure where the name came from, because we never knew anybody from alabama.

Posted By: caddokiller

Re: Fried balony - 06/11/10 01:20 AM

Fried bologna is the bomb!!

Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Fried balony - 06/11/10 03:04 AM

love it

Posted By: Pointer

Re: Fried balony - 06/11/10 03:32 AM

While on an unaccompanied tour overseas, working 12 hr shifts at night, My breakfast would consist of a fried egg and baloney sandwich and a beer.
I doubt that my Mrs. or my cardiologist would approve, but it sure went down easy, and I slept like a baby until it was time to get up and go back to work!

Posted By: Gummi Bear

Re: Fried balony - 06/11/10 04:21 AM

"Poor Man Steak"

Heck yeah I've fried it, grilled it, cut it up and stirred it into scrambled eggs and plenty of other stuff as well.

It ranks right up there with cornbread pancakes (very good with sorghum or honey instead of syrup)

Posted By: azcoyote

Re: Fried balony - 06/11/10 11:37 AM

Been eating fried balogna all my life!! I also like it with fresh sliced tomato!! If no good tomoatoes, I just spread on a bit of cheese whiz!! Mmmmmmmm!!

Posted By: RobertY

Re: Fried balony - 06/11/10 01:23 PM

There are several thousand food items I'll eat before I eat bologna, again in my life.

Posted By: Curly

Re: Fried balony - 06/11/10 03:32 PM

I LOVE ME A FRIED BALONY SAMMICH!

Posted By: Tres

Re: Fried balony - 06/11/10 08:42 PM

Haven't had me a fried bologna samich since I was a kid. Now that I have a kid I have a reason to make them again.

Posted By: DannyB

Re: Fried balony - 06/12/10 01:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Gummi Bear
It ranks right up there with cornbread pancakes

If you like cornbread pancakes you ought to try cornbread waffles. I saw the recipe on a Jiffy mix box one time and they are great with beans or anything else you would eat cornbread with.

And to the original topic, my dad used to fry bologna once in a while and serve it with eggs for breakfast. MMMM good.

I can't believe I called it bologna! I would call that a pronunciation far north of the Red River. Here in TX it is balony. texas

Posted By: Pointer

Re: Fried balony - 06/12/10 02:07 AM

I wonder if cornbread pancakes are what my mother used to make and call johnny cakes, or hoejohn?

Posted By: Curly

Re: Fried balony - 06/12/10 02:10 AM

Fried SPAM too!!! clap food

Posted By: 10pointers

Re: Fried balony - 06/12/10 04:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Curly

I was going to say Spam myself as far as Balony, I only ate it once and that was enough

Posted By: Big Tony

Re: Fried balony - 06/12/10 04:15 AM

No Curly NO. Say it aint so. Spam is DOGFOOD. When me and my brother were little, Mom poked spam down us like no tomorrow. We hated it. One day we sat down and read the ingredients on Spam. It was the SAME as Alpo. Spam is for K-9's, I saw my meat with a sharp knife. LOL

Spam. (Stuff Posing As Meat) I don't eat anything that makes that "slurpin'" sound comin' out of the can.

Posted By: Tres

Re: Fried balony - 06/12/10 05:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Curly

sick seriously Curly...barf Funny though being in the restaurant business at some of the higher end restaurants that chit is all the rage, don't get it.

Posted By: texfork

Re: Fried balony - 06/12/10 04:32 PM

Fried bolony is almost as good as B-B-Q bolony .

Posted By: luv2brode

Re: Fried balony - 06/13/10 02:37 AM

mmmmmmmmm fried balony and spam love em

Posted By: frognot

Re: Fried balony - 06/16/10 02:59 PM

Fried baloney & tomatoes and biscuits with baloney grease gravy. Breakfast of Champions.

Originally Posted By: Big Tony

I don't eat anything that makes that "slurpin'" sound comin' out of the can.

No Vienna sausages?

Posted By: fowlplayr

Re: Fried balony - 06/16/10 04:11 PM

Had some this morning with a pile off eggs and cheese on top. Hmmmmm. up

Posted By: janie

Re: Fried balony - 06/16/10 05:04 PM

Fried baloney in our house is referred to as Aggie Steak grin

Posted By: Texpppr

Re: Fried balony - 06/16/10 07:41 PM

Yes I remember fried boloney (sandwiches, with eggs, with fried potatoes) as a kid and also in my poorer days. I can't stomach Spam though. I buy it for my hunting stash for just in case.. The cans expire and I don't eat it.

Posted By: Guy

Re: Fried balony - 06/16/10 10:45 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
Ever had fried bologna?

Ate it all the time as a kid, namely for breakfast with eggs. I used to love cooking it myself as a kid, probably the first thing I ever cooked myself.

Posted By: prickly pear

Re: Fried balony - 06/18/10 08:07 PM

bbq balony, must be from oklahoma.

Posted By: DannyB

Re: Fried balony - 06/20/10 04:07 AM

Originally Posted By: prickly pear
bbq balony, must be from oklahoma.
Arkansas

Posted By: Armadillo Tacos

Re: Fried balony - 06/20/10 04:17 AM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
Ever had fried bologna?

Had a fried and BBQ bologna sandwich for lunch today matter of fact. Mmmmmm good.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum