Texas Hunting Forum

how to remove the hair from a hog

Posted By: texaschef

how to remove the hair from a hog - 05/14/10 07:35 AM

i plan on shooting some piglets this coming week and want to cook them whole. i was wondering what is the best way to remove the hair?

Posted By: mbavo

Re: how to remove the hair from a hog - 05/14/10 08:15 AM

when i was a kid,my dad and uncles butchered a hog and cooked whole on a spit. i remember they dipped theirs in hot water,then scraped the hair off. i have heard that this can be tricky. if the water temp is not right,it can set the hair and make it harder to come off. but i am not a pro,or know the proper water temp,thats just what i remember. i do remember the hog turned out excellent,and the skin was very good. golden brown and crispy.

Posted By: Justin T

Re: how to remove the hair from a hog - 05/14/10 03:22 PM

Why not just skin it?

Posted By: bill oxner

Re: how to remove the hair from a hog - 05/14/10 03:29 PM

It was a family affair when I was growing up. You have to get the right scald on them. It's called, "a good scald."

Posted By: helomech

Re: how to remove the hair from a hog - 05/14/10 04:18 PM

We would pour boiling water on them and then use a knife to scrape the hair off. You do this so you can make cracklin. If you skin it you can't make cracklin.

Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: how to remove the hair from a hog - 05/14/10 06:01 PM

The desired temp is 150-155 degrees.. It's called a slow scald..

Posted By: coolie

Re: how to remove the hair from a hog - 05/14/10 06:09 PM

http://www.ehow.com/how_5525609_remove-hog-hair.html

Posted By: texaschef

Re: how to remove the hair from a hog - 05/15/10 08:31 AM

the skin holds the fat in, which is where the best flavor is.

Thanks for you suggestions everyone else

Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: how to remove the hair from a hog - 05/15/10 04:58 PM

The skin also holds the heart poison!!!!

Posted By: don k

Re: how to remove the hair from a hog - 05/15/10 11:42 PM

I never heard of scraping a wild hog. Anybody ever tried scraping a javelina?

Posted By: Tin Head

Re: how to remove the hair from a hog - 06/12/10 09:23 PM

Originally Posted By: DLALLDER
The skin also holds the heart poison!!!!
whats that???

Posted By: deewayne2003

Re: how to remove the hair from a hog - 06/16/10 03:58 AM

Take a pair of heavy duty hair clippers like you would use to trim the hair on a show pig or steer and take as much hair off as you can.

then get a small blow torch like the kind you can get at harbor freight or lows in the plumbing section and wave it over the hair and it will burn/melt and you can brush it off with a stiff brush.

Posted By: fowlplayr

Re: how to remove the hair from a hog - 06/16/10 12:50 PM

Originally Posted By: texaschef
the skin holds the fat in, which is where the best flavor is.

With domestic pork that is true. However, in wild hogs, depending on the size, alot of the gamey taste is from the fat. Fat is essential to keep the meat from drying out, but too much fat, IMO, hurts the flavor of a wild hog. Plus, normal soaking methods to draw out blood and gaminess would not work with the skin on.

Back to topic...I've only done this after a domestic hog had been skinned out, but dipped the hide in HOT water...NOT BOILING, then lay flat and scrape. The hair comes right off. So, I suppose if you had a way to get the hot water on a whole hog, the same concept would apply.

Posted By: billy gordon

Re: how to remove the hair from a hog - 07/01/10 01:14 AM

Big difference in a domestic hogs hair and a wild hogs hair.IMO you are wasteing your time,no difference in taste and skining and wrapping with foil and adding the right maranades and rub gets a better taste.

Posted By: Driller

Re: how to remove the hair from a hog - 07/01/10 02:51 AM

Originally Posted By: billy gordon
Big difference in a domestic hogs hair and a wild hogs hair.IMO you are wasteing your time,no difference in taste and skining and wrapping with foil and adding the right maranades and rub gets a better taste.

x2

Posted By: KC

Re: how to remove the hair from a hog - 07/01/10 04:11 AM

I'm not a fan of the clipper/blowtorch method- only time I tried some that was prepared that way it tasted like burnt hair...

Posted By: deewayne2003

Re: how to remove the hair from a hog - 07/04/10 06:22 PM

Then it wasnt done right KC

I dont like to leave the skin on wild hogs anyway because of the tics that are usually on them

Posted By: Texpppr

Re: how to remove the hair from a hog - 07/14/10 01:06 PM

yes, douse them with lighter fluid and light em up to get rid of the tics.. then skin them.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum