Texas Hunting Forum

Hard 8 in Stehenville, TX

Posted By: DQ Kid

Hard 8 in Stehenville, TX - 09/09/23 08:26 PM

Will be there for Tarleton parent weekend in two weeks. Wife has always wanted some Hard 8 and we saw this was the original location? Good, average, or no good? I ate at Coppell location 15 ;years or so ago and will say it was average at best.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Hard 8 in Stehenville, TX - 09/09/23 08:46 PM

Still average.
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Hard 8 in Stehenville, TX - 09/09/23 09:09 PM

I like it
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Hard 8 in Stehenville, TX - 09/09/23 09:52 PM

Stopped there once. It was very busy...and a complete joke. Sides took like half an hour. Screwy system. Sad imitation of the old pick-your-meat-pit-side places.
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: Hard 8 in Stehenville, TX - 09/10/23 03:58 PM

You just have to know what to expect. If you are looking for the best smoked brisket and ribs with a flavor and texture like you get at 407 or other similar places, you will not like it. However, what they make is usually good for what it is. The brisket is more of a roast texture with less smoke and rub than other places, its just their method and style. I typically will get the 1/2 chicken or jalapeno sausage, it is usually decent, not top shelf. Have the chicken dipped if you get it. They have a big pork chop that will be on point or dry, its a crapshoot. The potato salad, slaw, and beans are all good sides and the cobblers are good IMO, not sure if they make the cobblers or buy them elsewhere, but they are fine. I have never tried the steaks or the sides that you have to wait on for them to cook. YMMV
Posted By: TPACK

Re: Hard 8 in Stehenville, TX - 09/11/23 11:31 AM

I live here and never ate there unless I didn`t have a choice. Don`t know what all the fuss is about. WAY Overpriced briskets and sides. Ate there over 10 years ago (grandsons birthday) and got the pork chop and it so much bone I threw it in the trash and haven`t been back. Go to R&R BBQ about 2 miles away and you`ll find great tasting BBQ and the sides are fantastic. Much better and cheaper prices. Thank me later.

https://randrbarbque.com/
Posted By: WT_Foxtrot

Re: Hard 8 in Stehenville, TX - 09/12/23 12:43 AM

Stopped in there once quite a few years ago and probably won't again. Wasn't impressed to say the least.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Hard 8 in Stehenville, TX - 09/12/23 02:22 AM

Had a boss that would cater it often for lunches. Mediocre in my opinion. I have never chosen to go there. Middle school neighbor kid was there recently - was not impressed and said my BBQ is better. Not much of a compliment, lol.
Posted By: TXranch56

Re: Hard 8 in Stehenville, TX - 09/14/23 07:49 PM

I'm a fan of Hard 8 - it's always good and is reasonably priced compared to some these days. It's not the high end "boutique" bbq but for a larger, mass produced restaurant it's totally edible and enjoyable. I like the atmosphere of the Stephenville location better than the Colony
Posted By: ssigler

Re: Hard 8 in Stehenville, TX - 09/14/23 11:30 PM

I like it too. Not the best but always good . The Coppell
location has great customer service and while I'm not a big
dessert guy, the banana pudding is really good.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Hard 8 in Stehenville, TX - 09/15/23 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by TXranch56
... it's totally edible...

So is Aoudad. rofl
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Hard 8 in Stehenville, TX - 09/15/23 01:29 AM

Not a fan at all.
Posted By: retfuz

Re: Hard 8 in Stehenville, TX - 09/16/23 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by TXranch56
I'm a fan of Hard 8 - it's always good and is reasonably priced compared to some these days. It's not the high end "boutique" bbq but for a larger, mass produced restaurant it's totally edible and enjoyable. I like the atmosphere of the Stephenville location better than the Colony

This. A little pricey, but what isn't now. BBQ sauce is really good.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Hard 8 in Stehenville, TX - 09/23/23 12:52 PM

Well, up here in Stephenville at Tarleton State's Parents Weekend and we took in Hard 8 last night. Place was pretty crowded given the Parents Weekend and what not. Forbthev4 of us, we consumed 2 lbs. of sliced brisket, 1lb. of pork ribs as they were out of beef and daughter also got a baked potato on side. Separately, we had potato salad and their beans ranchers. Verdict of night was decent, nothing great or special. For $70 or so, my wife can now scratch Hard 8 off her to do lost.
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Hard 8 in Stehenville, TX - 09/25/23 03:55 AM

Not near enough smoke or bark. Saw them wrapping very very early, then going into pot roast mode.
Posted By: mooney_ag

Re: Hard 8 in Stehenville, TX - 11/10/23 02:42 AM

Always been hit and miss. Years ago more on and slightly miss. Never been a fan of their sauce. One slice of brisket with onion and pork ribs. Since Phillip died it’s never been the same. Now his widow and steps run the business. The last time it’s was bad enough I prolly won’t go back.

Same thing happens to railhead in willow park when Bert sold. Two chances. Done. Haven’t been back for even a beer and there were never complaints on the beer.

Re: Hard 8 in Stehenville, TX - 11/10/23 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by mooney_ag
Always been hit and miss. Years ago more on and slightly miss. Never been a fan of their sauce. One slice of brisket with onion and pork ribs. Since Phillip died it’s never been the same. Now his widow and steps run the business. The last time it’s was bad enough I prolly won’t go back.

Same thing happens to railhead in willow park when Bert sold. Two chances. Done. Haven’t been back for even a beer and there were never complaints on the beer.

The railhead in fort worth has always been better imo.
Posted By: texasair

Re: Hard 8 in Stehenville, TX - 01/05/24 03:32 PM

I was there a while back and it was average at best
Posted By: GunsUp18

Re: Hard 8 in Stehenville, TX - 01/08/24 01:50 PM

That's one of those places I don't know if it has changed for the worst over the years or just everyone else got better. I use to be fan, but now if I'm that direction the thought of going there doesn't even cross my mind.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Hard 8 in Stehenville, TX - 01/09/24 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by GunsUp18
That's one of those places I don't know if it has changed for the worst over the years or just everyone else got better. I use to be fan, but now if I'm that direction the thought of going there doesn't even cross my mind.

I think with any of the older bbq places have been passed up by the newer ones who are willing to try new things.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Hard 8 in Stehenville, TX - 01/09/24 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw

best ribs fo sho

Re: Hard 8 in Stehenville, TX - 01/10/24 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw

best ribs fo sho

Love the ribs!
Posted By: eyedoc

Re: Hard 8 in Stehenville, TX - 01/11/24 03:14 AM

Overrated, wont be back
Posted By: reeder05

Re: Hard 8 in Stehenville, TX - 01/23/24 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by DQ Kid
Wife has always wanted some Hard 8

Couldn't help myself...
roflmao

I've always liked their food, but have never had the Stephenville location.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum