Texas Hunting Forum

Best sausage, cheese, jalapeno kolache in Texas

Posted By: 603Country

Best sausage, cheese, jalapeno kolache in Texas - 04/17/13 02:00 AM

I've been looking for the best one for years. Obviously I haven't tried them all, but I do have favorites. Here are some of them, though I can't remember the actual names of all of them:

Billy's in Livingston, on the north side of that big east/west hwy. A really good kolache (or was)

The new place (2 yrs or so they've been there) in Groesbeck on Hwy 14 on the south side of town. Top notch sausage, cheese, jalapeno kolache.

Mexia, on west side of 14, across from Frankie's Restaurant. The standard kolache is just Ok, but if you ask for the one with extra jalapenos, you'll get the good one. It's pretty warmish and very tasty.

Mart, on south side of the main street. Real good kolache.

West, where they have a couple of places with good kolaches.

There's a place in Houston, close to where we used to live on the north side of town, on Grant Road at Jones. Probably the best sausage, Cheese, jalapeno kolache that I know of. Starlite donuts may be the name.

And, as an aside, I used to work with a Hungarian woman and she really didn't like me calling what she considered a a "sausage roll", a kolache. She said Kolache's are a pastry with fruit. Yeah, well this isn't Hungary. And we call it a kolache. So there.
Posted By: FoxTrot

Re: Best sausage, cheese, jalapeno kolache in Texas - 04/17/13 01:13 PM

I really like the kolache at Buc-ee's and this is coming from a guy who was born and raised in West. I dont know that it is the best but dayyum it is good.

Another good kolache is in Jarrell at the little bakery inside of the c-store on the northbound side of the interstate. I believe it is Mama's Bakery or something like that. They dont make a lot of kolaches but I have stopped there several times and the are great. The hus/wife own the bakery and c-store and I believe they are from the Czech Republic. Super nice folks and he even sales his Czech music cd's in the c-store.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Best sausage, cheese, jalapeno kolache in Texas - 04/17/13 04:11 PM

In Denton Kolache Haven off I35 has excellent sausage kolaches. Best I've had outside of West, Tx.

301 Interstate 35 Frontage Rd Denton, TX 76205
(940) 565-9700
http://www.kolachehaven.com/menu.html
Posted By: WBYHunter

Re: Best sausage, cheese, jalapeno kolache in Texas - 04/19/13 06:38 PM

Czech Stop in West is by far my favorite. Second place goes to Best Donuts in NW Houston, corner of Louetta and Champion Forest.
Posted By: Stick 711

Re: Best sausage, cheese, jalapeno kolache in Texas - 04/19/13 07:35 PM

Hard to pick which one is better.

Hruska's in Ellinger and Vincek's in East Bernard.
Posted By: GO REBS

Re: Best sausage, cheese, jalapeno kolache in Texas - 04/19/13 07:50 PM

Originally Posted By: WBYHunter
Best Donuts in NW Houston, corner of Louetta and Champion Forest.

Best kolache ive had is Top Donuts at Louetta & Kuykendahl.

Re: Best sausage, cheese, jalapeno kolache in Texas - 04/20/13 01:40 AM

Dang, I went by Top Donuts on the way to work for 10 years and never tried their kolache. Next time I'm over there....
Posted By: Bear Charge

Re: Best sausage, cheese, jalapeno kolache in Texas - 04/20/13 05:52 PM

Has anyone heard if West stops were hit by explosion?
Posted By: mooney_ag

Re: Best sausage, cheese, jalapeno kolache in Texas - 05/15/13 01:46 AM

I prefer the hot chubby (hot link) with cheese at the Czech stop in west over their sausage and cheese with jalapeņo

Also had a big earl (earl campbell hot link) at the shipleys in Tyler that was good.
Posted By: booger

Re: Best sausage, cheese, jalapeno kolache in Texas - 05/15/13 02:16 AM

All are still up and running with long lines out the door as always.
Posted By: OFBHWG

Re: Best sausage, cheese, jalapeno kolache in Texas - 05/15/13 02:57 AM

Shipleys Donuts!
Posted By: booger

Re: Best sausage, cheese, jalapeno kolache in Texas - 05/15/13 02:15 PM

You need to get out more!!! Those things are terrible
Posted By: treeman

Re: Best sausage, cheese, jalapeno kolache in Texas - 05/15/13 02:38 PM

Greens sausage house in Zabikville. The sausage is made there. If you are really hnugry try one of their Ham and CHeese
Posted By: kyotee1

Re: Best sausage, cheese, jalapeno kolache in Texas - 05/15/13 04:22 PM

Kuntry Bakery in Schulenberg, Weikel's in La Grange and a little joint in Caldwell (can't remember the name, but they close at 3pm)
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Best sausage, cheese, jalapeno kolache in Texas - 05/25/13 02:01 AM

I'll go out on a limb here and second (or third?) Shipley's. You gotta' get the Big Earl, though. Their regular "kolaches" are just that. I was also raised where a kolache was a pastry with a fruit or ground sausage center, and was put back for a long time by people calling sausage rolls kolaches. I got over it.
Posted By: MEXICOHUNTER70

Re: Best sausage, cheese, jalapeno kolache in Texas - 05/25/13 02:18 AM

Greens sausage house in Zabcikville Tx I promise I'll put them up against any .
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Best sausage, cheese, jalapeno kolache in Texas - 05/25/13 03:03 AM

Originally Posted By: MEXICOHUNTER70
Greens sausage house in Zabcikville Tx I promise I'll put them up against any .

They make "real" kolaches there. I like the poppy-seed/cream cheese, and peach or apricot.
Posted By: FtWorthBobWillsFan

Re: Best sausage, cheese, jalapeno kolache in Texas - 05/26/13 06:40 PM

dang the kolache's at Weikel's bakery in La Grange are really good.... that place makes me think of a great song by the Bastar*d Sons of Johnny Cash called Truck Stop in La Grange.... great place
Posted By: coonie

Re: Best sausage, cheese, jalapeno kolache in Texas - 06/03/13 01:37 PM

X2 on Weikel's
Posted By: txhunter26

Re: Best sausage, cheese, jalapeno kolache in Texas - 06/03/13 02:22 PM

The Kolache Shop in Clute,Tx. Excellent sausage/cheese/ jalepeno- homemade bread. The fajita and cheese is really good also.
Posted By: Road Dawg

Re: Best sausage, cheese, jalapeno kolache in Texas - 06/06/13 08:03 PM

X4 to Greens in Zabcikville
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Best sausage, cheese, jalapeno kolache in Texas - 06/06/13 10:31 PM

There used to be a lady in Rowena, TX that had immigrated from Czechoslovakia in the late 1800's, she made the best I have ever eaten. If she was still alive she would tell you the only real kolache was made with fruit.

The ones with meat and all of the other concoctions are American versions of the real kolache. She taught my grandma and a few others how to make them.

If you do a little research the city of Ballinger has an ethnic Festival every year. The local group of Czechs do their thing by making and selling kolaches, all kinds eve he Americanized versions. It is worth the trip, juts diet a few months before the festival to make room for the food.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Best sausage, cheese, jalapeno kolache in Texas - 06/07/13 03:01 PM

I've only had them from Czech stop in West. Love 'em! And yes, the only true Kolache is made with fruit. I think when you add meat it would actually be a Koblsnke.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Best sausage, cheese, jalapeno kolache in Texas - 06/07/13 03:02 PM

I've only had them from Czech stop in West. Love 'em! And yes, the only true Kolache is made with fruit. I think when you add meat it would actually be a Koblasnke.

Re: Best sausage, cheese, jalapeno kolache in Texas - 06/07/13 05:20 PM

Thanks, I could not think of the name koblasnke last night.

Re: Best sausage, cheese, jalapeno kolache in Texas - 06/07/13 08:56 PM

I can't pronounce koblasnke. Even had to look at it twice to spell it. Gotta risk being gang whupped by Hungarians and keep calling it a kolache.

Re: Best sausage, cheese, jalapeno kolache in Texas - 06/07/13 11:18 PM

Originally Posted By: 603Country
I can't pronounce koblasnke. Even had to look at it twice to spell it. Gotta risk being gang whupped by Hungarians and keep calling it a kolache.

They are Czechs, not Hungarian.
Posted By: 10pointers

Re: Best sausage, cheese, jalapeno kolache in Texas - 06/10/13 02:19 AM

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher

They are Czechs, not Hungarian.

dekuji or Thank you

A kolache is a round pastry. Any good Czech woman will now how to make them. Luckly I married one. "yak se mate"
Posted By: Theboyandi

Re: Best sausage, cheese, jalapeno kolache in Texas - 06/19/13 03:50 PM

Whatever they are called, the sausage, cheese and jalapeņo one at the Czech Stop is a solid choice. Had one last week and it won't be my last.
Posted By: C3 guide

Re: Best sausage, cheese, jalapeno kolache in Texas - 06/21/13 07:57 PM

Koblansky is how its spelled. Lucas Bakery in La Grange are much better than Weikels. But the old Czech ladies that run it will not serve you if you call a pig in the blanket or a koblansky a kolache
Posted By: Rockinmyshoe

Re: Best sausage, cheese, jalapeno kolache in Texas - 06/21/13 10:53 PM

Originally Posted By: C3 guide
Koblansky is how its spelled. Lucas Bakery in La Grange are much better than Weikels. But the old Czech ladies that run it will not serve you if you call a pig in the blanket or a koblansky a kolache

Shhhhh. Don't tell our little well kept secrets on the square food
Posted By: BUDH

Re: Best sausage, cheese, jalapeno kolache in Texas - 06/22/13 02:31 PM

Hruska's in Ellinger is hard to beat. For the real McCoy, either of the places in LaGrange are really good.
Posted By: sallysue

Re: Best sausage, cheese, jalapeno kolache in Texas - 06/22/13 11:30 PM

Originally Posted By: treeman
Greens sausage house in Zabikville. The sausage is made there. If you are really hnugry try one of their Ham and CHeese

I 2nd that
Posted By: C3 guide

Re: Best sausage, cheese, jalapeno kolache in Texas - 06/23/13 03:39 PM

@rockinmyshoe, yes the little secret on the square is hard to beat!

Re: Best sausage, cheese, jalapeno kolache in Texas - 06/23/13 10:40 PM

Now I'm gonna have to see where the heck Zabikville is.
Posted By: 74bronco

Re: Best sausage, cheese, jalapeno kolache in Texas - 06/26/13 04:01 AM

Greens Sausage house on fm53 out side due east of temple The kolachees are loaded and as thick as your hand. custom meats there too. smoked turkey no joke, a sausage burger with a beer is to die for. its about 8 miles out not quite to the fm436 that goes to the 77 not pass the rogers fm road eighter. they do a cheese jalapeno ham / sausage 2 of them and your stuffed. any way you want it
Posted By: Nate C.

Re: Best sausage, cheese, jalapeno kolache in Texas - 06/26/13 05:12 AM

And, as an aside, I used to work with a Hungarian woman and she really didn't like me calling what she considered a a "sausage roll", a kolache. She said Kolache's are a pastry with fruit. Yeah, well this isn't Hungary. And we call it a kolache. So there.

Try Green's Sausage House in Zabcikville (near Temple). Best I ever had. (And judging by a lot of these other replies, I ain't the only one.)

The Hungarian woman was right, as any Czech-Texan can tell you.
Posted By: Smittyb

Re: Best sausage, cheese, jalapeno kolache in Texas - 06/27/13 08:00 PM

Anywhere but shipleys.
Posted By: Big_Game_Hunter

Re: Best sausage, cheese, jalapeno kolache in Texas - 07/11/13 10:38 PM

West
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Best sausage, cheese, jalapeno kolache in Texas - 07/12/13 12:14 AM

This little place by our church. Every Sunday after service banana up food
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum