Texas Hunting Forum

Any good places in Brownwood ?

Posted By: danny871

Any good places in Brownwood ? - 07/26/11 04:20 PM

Headed to Brownwood for the weekend. Anyone familiar with any good food in or around that area.

Posted By: Big Tony

Re: Any good places in Brownwood ? - 07/26/11 04:25 PM

Humphrey Pete's is OK. If you like buffet style, Section Hand aint bad either.

Posted By: treeman

Re: Any good places in Brownwood ? - 07/26/11 04:31 PM

underwoods. they have the best fried chicken up

Posted By: NDN98

Re: Any good places in Brownwood ? - 07/26/11 10:31 PM

i second Underwoods

Posted By: Old_Town

Re: Any good places in Brownwood ? - 07/27/11 03:42 AM

Underwood's has the best fried chicken hands down. Their cobbler and rolls are top shelf too. If you don't mind copious amounts of cigarette smoke then the Red Wagon is good. Gomez has good huevos rancheros and Jerry's in Early has dang good hamburgers. Mi Familia in Early is good but too high.

Posted By: aeb

Re: Any good places in Brownwood ? - 07/28/11 12:48 AM

Don't get conned by the BBQ at Underwood's. Nothing but boiled meat with some kind of sauce slopped all over it. Gomez is pretty good Tex-Mex but my all-time favorite is a small place on the southside built from a converted Santa Fe dining car.
http://www.runawaytraincafe.com/
Reasonable prices and good burgers...plus you can get an old time ROOT BEER FLOAT. Heck of a deal!

Posted By: thewrap

Re: Any good places in Brownwood ? - 07/28/11 01:44 AM

Sectionhand and Gomez I've frequented almost everytime I've been there. Humphrey Petes is alright for dinner but a little pricy. Underwoods is the best BBQ in town. If you can drive a little ways go to Santa Anna and there's a Steakhouse down there that is phenomenal.

Posted By: Austin Shero

Re: Any good places in Brownwood ? - 07/28/11 08:18 PM

Taquito Mininario is the best mexican food in town. Excellent breakfast buritos and lunch buritos too. Gomez is good.

Sectionhand is about the best steaks in town. As far as burgers go, Tripple T Grill is out of sight. Jerry's Burgers and Shakes in Early is owned by the same guy. Good mom and pop type place with good folks.

I'd suggest hole in the wall type places. Underwoods is tried and true, but I bet in the 25 years I lived there, I didnt eat it once a year.

Posted By: danny871

Re: Any good places in Brownwood ? - 08/01/11 01:00 AM

Thanks for all the responses.....We tried several of the suggestions.....Sectionhand was really good and the burgers at Triple T grill were great

Posted By: obamawhy!!!

Re: Any good places in Brownwood ? - 08/12/11 02:35 AM

Underwoods is the best BBQ in town.

Wow I was unaware that Underwoods had BBQ. Boiled meat with BBQ sauce is not BBQ in my book. Humphrey Petes has way better steaks than Section Hand , but the best steak in town is at Prima Pasta.

Posted By: ckat

Re: Any good places in Brownwood ? - 08/13/11 04:32 PM

Originally Posted By: thewrap
Sectionhand and Gomez I've frequented almost everytime I've been there. Humphrey Petes is alright for dinner but a little pricy. Underwoods is the best BBQ in town. If you can drive a little ways go to Santa Anna and there's a Steakhouse down there that is phenomenal.

Makes me chuckle - a friend of mine calls it "The Mystery Meat."

Re: Any good places in Brownwood ? - 08/13/11 05:26 PM

The locals go to Underwoods every Sunday...to eat the fried chicken!!

Re: Any good places in Brownwood ? - 08/13/11 11:56 PM

Originally Posted By: aeb
The locals go to Underwoods every Sunday...to eat the fried chicken!!

The fried chicken is top notch. I pass on the BBQ though.

Posted By: cullenwruth

Re: Any good places in Brownwood ? - 08/15/11 07:13 PM

I live in Brownwood so i can answer this pretty well. Everyone goes to Underwoods, Im not that into it but they do have the best rolls and cobbler Ive ever had. If you want mexican food, Gomez has the best all round and taquito millionario has the best burritos and chille rellanos Ive ever had. best barbeque I would say is Smitty's. best burgers is definetely the Runnaway Train. Prima pasta for italian. Hope that helps! Oh, also the Pizza Company has the best subs and Pizza atleast in this state.

Re: Any good places in Brownwood ? - 08/15/11 10:44 PM

X2 on the Runnaway Train.

Re: Any good places in Brownwood ? - 08/16/11 09:14 PM

Originally Posted By: cullenwruth
I live in Brownwood so i can answer this pretty well. Everyone goes to Underwoods, Im not that into it but they do have the best rolls and cobbler Ive ever had. If you want mexican food, Gomez has the best all round and taquito millionario has the best burritos and chille rellanos Ive ever had. best barbeque I would say is Smitty's. best burgers is definetely the Runnaway Train. Prima pasta for italian. Hope that helps! Oh, also the Pizza Company has the best subs and Pizza atleast in this state.

Pretty spot on. Next time you are at Prima Pasta you have to try the steak.I know its italian ,but trust me you won't be disappointed.

Posted By: Grendel 6.5

Re: Any good places in Brownwood ? - 08/17/11 12:42 AM

I don't care for the BBQ at Underwoods but their chicken fried steak and fried chicken are good. Worth eating there for the hot rolls and cobbler alone.

Re: Any good places in Brownwood ? - 08/17/11 01:58 AM

Yea their cobbler and rolls can't be beat. Unlike their meat.

Posted By: jdw999

Re: Any good places in Brownwood ? - 08/31/11 08:27 PM

I grew up here and for the most part I agree with most of y'all. Underwoods has the worst "BBQ". The best is Sticks BBQ, Etc on the hwy headed out towards Brady. The best burgers are Jerry's, Runaway Train and Studabakers. Best steaks are Prima Pasta hands down. Mexican food is Gomez's, depending on the cook that day.

And one place that has not been mentioned is Doc's Drug Store, they have the best sammiches, my favorite is the Yee Haw...

JD

Posted By: RunawayTrain Cafe

Re: Any good places in Brownwood ? - 09/01/11 03:04 PM

Welcome Hunters! We would love to see you at the Runaway Train Cafe. We have 1/2 pound hand-pattied burgers, homemade soups, and the best sandwiches around. We are open T-Sat 11am-8pm. Located at 3600 Stephen F Austin in Brownwood, 325-646-3333. It's a great atmosphere in a real train car. Mention you saw this and get a free drink with purchase of a meal. Special thanks to my new friend from Dallas for showing me this site. ...Hope you are leaving a few dove for my husband in Santa Anna today.

Posted By: D Red Raider

Re: Any good places in Brownwood ? - 09/05/11 02:36 AM

Hint from a resident... Yep, Runaway Train is a real find. Try their Clam Chowder. They make it on-site and you won't believe how good it is. Rueben Sandwich is good (if you like Rueben Sandwiches...) I've never had a bad mill at "The Train" as we locals call it...

Re: Any good places in Brownwood ? - 09/05/11 03:46 PM

Originally Posted By: D Reynolds
Hint from a resident... Yep, Runaway Train is a real find. Try their Clam Chowder. They make it on-site and you won't believe how good it is. Rueben Sandwich is good (if you like Rueben Sandwiches...) I've never had a bad mill at "The Train" as we locals call it...

Had a Rueben the last time I was at the Train. Very good.

Posted By: duckhunter55

Re: Any good places in Brownwood ? - 09/06/11 02:17 PM

I was the one there from Plano last Wed. I passed the word along.Great burger.See you in a couple of weeks.

Re: Any good places in Brownwood ? - 09/12/11 05:25 PM

I lived north of Brownwood for years and hope to return there soon. I'ts good to hear about the Runaway Train. I'll give it another try. I remember when that thing originally opened around 1994 I aet there once then.

Posted By: Henryseale

Re: Any good places in Brownwood ? - 09/19/11 05:55 AM

Ate BBQ once at Underwood's at Brownwood year before last. Not bad, but certainly not impressive. I would eat there again, but would rather try somewhere else.

Posted By: efd941

Re: Any good places in Brownwood ? - 09/25/11 03:26 AM

Lemon's Bar B Q is the best in my book for eating around Brownwood. By far better than Underwoods and Sticks.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum