Texas Hunting Forum

Pup training

Posted By: fonzie

Pup training - 03/22/24 11:53 PM

So not really sure where to start, we got a pointer a few weeks back. My plan is to use him to retrieve birds, I don’t do any upland hunting BUT we do love dove hunting. As of now we have been working on sit, stay and tossing a bumper at him in a small hall way in order to force him to bring it back to me. This week I will be adding heel to the mix. Just trying to gather info and thoughts to see if I’m doing this right. He’s still young (12 weeks), so ya any advice would be much appreciated.

Also if anyone is doing any training in the Fort Worth area and wouldn’t mind me watching a training session that would be awesome!

Thanks in advance
Fonzie
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Pup training - 03/23/24 02:06 AM

If your only dove hunting, a pointer may not have been a good choice.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Pup training - 03/23/24 05:08 AM

fonzie, are you one of the guys on the lease across fish creek from us? Or near 3109?
Posted By: fonzie

Re: Pup training - 03/23/24 09:22 PM

No sir I’m over by southbend
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Pup training - 03/24/24 04:56 PM

Ok, that is still close. I hunt about 10 miles from there via Hot Wells rd. Just an FYI, Countryside Veterinary Hospital is on 67 closer to Graham just up the road from you. It is who I use if I need a vet for my dog while at the lease. They keep the rattlesnake vaccine on hand too. Also I might have something for you if your going to be out there opening weekend or week of Turkey season. Sending you a PM.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum