Texas Hunting Forum

Need a trainer

Posted By: jhenderson

Need a trainer - 02/14/24 09:53 PM

Since I can’t seem to give this dog away I need a trainer. I think he’s a beagle/walker coon hound mix and he’s so dang stubborn and almost stupid some days. I’ve never had a dog that I couldn’t train and I’ve met my match. I don’t need him to be a hunting dog but at the very minimum a good companion. He’s got really really really bad separation anxiety that I’ve got him on medication for now. Any suggestions I’m in the Tyler area but will gladly go wherever.

Basic obedience and manners would be a good start anything after that would just be a plus.
Posted By: ken starling

Re: Need a trainer - 02/21/24 06:21 PM

May hit up one of these guys. They may can help out or point you in the right direction. They are in that area.

Charlie Green - Greens Retrievers

Randy McBryer- Little River Retrievers
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Need a trainer - 02/22/24 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by jhenderson
Since I can’t seem to give this dog away I need a trainer. I think he’s a beagle/walker coon hound mix and he’s so dang stubborn and almost stupid some days. I’ve never had a dog that I couldn’t train and I’ve met my match. I don’t need him to be a hunting dog but at the very minimum a good companion. He’s got really really really bad separation anxiety that I’ve got him on medication for now. Any suggestions I’m in the Tyler area but will gladly go wherever.

Basic obedience and manners would be a good start anything after that would just be a plus.

I would suggest a 22 to the back of the head and a new pup. I wouldn’t throw money into a dog that’s crazy enough to need medication.
Posted By: kindall

Re: Need a trainer - 02/22/24 03:16 PM

Most trainers aren’t going to take a dog with separation anxiety.
The dog stays stressed out the whole time it’s kenneled, making them to worked up to even train when they get them out.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Need a trainer - 02/25/24 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by kindall
Most trainers aren’t going to take a dog with separation anxiety.
The dog stays stressed out the whole time it’s kenneled, making them to worked up to even train when they get them out.

This is true, you’ll have to find someone who specializes in this type of issue. Your regular gun dog trainers aren’t going to want to deal with it.
Posted By: Stick 711

Re: Need a trainer - 03/05/24 05:11 AM

Agree with Kendall and Brady. It’s up to you. The schizophrenic part can be covered, over time, no quick fix. Control is work. I’m not good at it. Find a local class. Not bird dog. Simple obedience. Here, stay, sit type stuff. Bond, the dog realy doesn’t know. Spoil it for a while.

Oh, sorry. I had a GWP that was going to be put down. Turned out good. Just needed some confidence building.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum