Texas Hunting Forum

Anyone’s dog having respiratory issues?

Posted By: DustyArmadillo

Anyone’s dog having respiratory issues? - 08/31/23 06:09 PM

Got a 18 month old Boston terrier.

She’s been reverse sneezing more than usual lately.

Sounds like she has a stopped up nose.

Anyhoo, wondering if it’s just allergies or if anyone else had encountered such a thing.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Gonna take her to the vet if she doesn’t snap out of it soon.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Anyone’s dog having respiratory issues? - 08/31/23 06:56 PM

Every dog I have ever owned has had reverse sneezing. Usually for no reason, but hunting in weedy marshes and fields I know has often triggered it in my dogs before. It never lasts very long and I consider it a normal thing and never worry about it. My 14 month vizsla has not done it yet, but I am sure she will. She has hiccups from time to time that worries my wife, but it never bothers the dog or me. It's also a normal thing. But if your concerned, it is never wrong to take your dog to the vet to get it checked out.
Posted By: Cochise

Re: Anyone’s dog having respiratory issues? - 08/31/23 07:14 PM

Ragweed counts are starting to increase around here - it gets me and our two labs pretty good late summer/early fall. Probably pretty mild if its just reverse sneezing - look for skin/ear problems to develop (potentially) if its allergies. Certainly wouldn't hesitate to take your dog to vet if you're concerned though!
Posted By: kindall

Re: Anyone’s dog having respiratory issues? - 09/03/23 08:46 PM

I’ve had dogs do it. Happens more often, the same time my allergies kick in. I guess ragweed bothers them too.

Re: Anyone’s dog having respiratory issues? - 09/03/23 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Cochise
Ragweed counts are starting to increase around here - it gets me and our two labs pretty good late summer/early fall. Probably pretty mild if its just reverse sneezing - look for skin/ear problems to develop (potentially) if its allergies. Certainly wouldn't hesitate to take your dog to vet if you're concerned though!

Two of mine take Zyrtec at this time of year.
@dustyarmadillo
My dog’s weight is in the mid 40s.
I have no idea what the dosage would be for small dogs.
Posted By: Nolanco

Re: Anyone’s dog having respiratory issues? - 09/03/23 11:32 PM

I've started taking generic loratadine. Epic sneezing ...
I'm not a dog, but some have called me an SOB ... roflmao
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Anyone’s dog having respiratory issues? - 12/20/23 02:09 AM

I have a pointer that was showing respiratory issues, coughing and wheezing including appetite issues. Went to vet 2 weeks ago, got a round of antibiotics prescribed. Hunted her last week, she was not running wide open, mainly trotting, along with labor breathing.
Another trip to vet today with chest x ray. Got a call that radiology report confirmed lung cancer. The gyp will be 8 years old on Christmas Day. Will just be keeping her comfortable, she’s done hunting.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: decook

Re: Anyone’s dog having respiratory issues? - 12/20/23 12:11 PM

I'm sorry to hear that 68. Sad and too early.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Anyone’s dog having respiratory issues? - 12/20/23 05:22 PM

Man 68 sorry to read that.

Love her, keep her spoiled and comfortable as you can and like I did with my Brittney cry like a baby when the time comes. Still miss that boy.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Anyone’s dog having respiratory issues? - 12/20/23 06:52 PM

So sorry to hear that.
Posted By: Lalo

Re: Anyone’s dog having respiratory issues? - 12/21/23 12:54 AM

Very odd. When I saw the title, I thought this was going to be a thread about the mystery dog respiratory illness that has people in other parts of the country in a panic. But no one here even mentions that.
Link
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Anyone’s dog having respiratory issues? - 12/21/23 02:55 AM

Sorry to hear that.

But to answer your question, yes I have about a 6 yo Male EP that is snotty nose and left eye right now but benadryl seems to help him alot.

Re: Anyone’s dog having respiratory issues? - 12/21/23 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Lalo
Very odd. When I saw the title, I thought this was going to be a thread about the mystery dog respiratory illness that has people in other parts of the country in a panic. But no one here even mentions that.
Link

I don’t think we have had many cases in Texas.
I would venture to say most members don’t show their dogs. They are not in big convention centers with a thousand other dogs. Less likely for them to be exposed.
I do occasionally show one of mine, but doing field work at this time of year.

Re: Anyone’s dog having respiratory issues? - 12/21/23 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Lalo
Link

My response was I took my dog in due to respiratory issues, I thought she may have had the respiratory illness. Just turned out to be something worse.
Posted By: Nolanco

Re: Anyone’s dog having respiratory issues? - 12/22/23 02:30 PM

68 -- I know you are treasuring your time with her. Damn, it's tough.
My Brittany was fine one day, then started wheezing one night. I took him to the vet the next morning as he was having trouble getting oxygen and his tongue was turning blue. An X-ray revealed a large thoracic mass and we put him right down, god rest the old Watson's soul. That was a rough morning.
Posted By: Superduty

Re: Anyone’s dog having respiratory issues? - 12/22/23 02:55 PM

68, Nolanco. I hate to hear stories like this.

R.I.P pups.

Re: Anyone’s dog having respiratory issues? - 12/29/23 02:08 AM

Penny crossed over this afternoon. She was a damn good bird dog.
Posted By: decook

Re: Anyone’s dog having respiratory issues? - 12/30/23 12:14 PM

Very sorry 68.
Posted By: Tbar

Re: Anyone’s dog having respiratory issues? - 12/30/23 01:03 PM

Years ago my small dog had a level 4 heart murmur that caused that.

Recently there has been a Canine Respiratory Illness that is going around.

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/health/unknown-canine-respiratory-illness/

Re: Anyone’s dog having respiratory issues? - 01/18/24 03:53 PM

So very sorry for your loss
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum