Texas Hunting Forum

Possible skin infection

Posted By: stinkbelly

Possible skin infection - 02/11/23 03:02 PM

My 2 year old DD always stinks. I can wash her or not wash her and she sinks. She is an inside dog. I have tried several different shampoos. I have tried several different dog beds too. I have noticed she has a really red belly. It looks like an allergic reaction to something. I have also noticed hives in her hair. At first I was thinking it could be her food. She is on Blue Buffalo. Now i am thinking it might be a skin infection.

What are your thoughts before I go to the vet?
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Possible skin infection - 02/11/23 06:07 PM

Just ask the vet. It could be a lot of different issues.
Posted By: Cochise

Re: Possible skin infection - 02/13/23 04:15 PM

Probably allergies. Dogs are allergic to the same stuff people are - it just generally presents as skin issues vs a stopped up nose and sneezing in people.

Highly doubt its the food. For whatever reason people equate allergies/skin problems in dogs to food. More specifically grains - which in reality if it was food allergies - dogs are most likely going to be allergic to the protein source. That's why when someone is doing a true food trial it starts out with a protein like kangaroo.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Possible skin infection - 02/13/23 05:36 PM

One of mine got a fungus. Symptoms were about what you describe. Vet prescribed an anti fungal shampoo. Bathed him every other day. Took a couple weeks to clear up. If I still have the bottle I will P.M. you a picture of it this evening.

Re: Possible skin infection - 02/14/23 06:24 PM

Thanks.
Posted By: Dave Scott

Re: Possible skin infection - 02/15/23 06:01 PM

Some of that can be serious business- yeah have a good vet look at it.
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Possible skin infection - 02/16/23 07:07 PM

My Boston Terrier started getting allergies about 18 months ago. Tried all kinds of stuff. Vet just put him on Apoquel and it's been a game changer. No more red belly, no more licking and scratching, no more funky looking and smelling ear. Stuff ain't cheap but it works well.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Possible skin infection - 02/17/23 12:31 PM

Have you tried Goodwinol Shampoo? Click here
Posted By: kindall

Re: Possible skin infection - 02/17/23 02:30 PM

Miconahex Triz Shampoo has always been recommended by my vet, to deal with skin issues. You might need a antibiotic to, since this has been ongoing.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Possible skin infection - 02/18/23 08:29 PM

I have a chessie, when he gets nasty, this is what I use.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Cochise

Re: Possible skin infection - 02/19/23 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Gumbeaux
My Boston Terrier started getting allergies about 18 months ago. Tried all kinds of stuff. Vet just put him on Apoquel and it's been a game changer. No more red belly, no more licking and scratching, no more funky looking and smelling ear. Stuff ain't cheap but it works well.

It’s expensive as hell but works and is safe long term. Both of our labs are on it. It was nice getting it at cost when my wife was a vet tech. The mark up on it is stupid.
Posted By: Bones72

Re: Possible skin infection - 02/19/23 03:37 PM

Three things I have seen with similar symptoms skin staph infection, food allergies, and ringworm. Ringworm was trip to vet and treatment with iodine baths twice daily until it cleared on an older lab. Staph infections on a buddy's gsp was a trip to the vet and antibiotics; a pill and a topical cream. Food allergies for another buddy's pack of hounds (weimaraner and two labs) trip to vet and getting them off any food with processed chicken. He was told anything with a bunch of chicken is high in uric ajcid and can be rough on a lot of dogs. All of the above presented as redbelly lots of licking and odor.

Hope your dog gets better.

Re: Possible skin infection - 02/21/23 03:03 AM

I washed her with chloroxidine 9 days ago. She is still not red and does not stink. It is the same thing BoBo recommended. We use it on our goats for skin issues.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum