Texas Hunting Forum

Pros and cons on owning a blood hound?

Posted By: Frisbie

Pros and cons on owning a blood hound? - 07/18/09 11:58 PM

Just wondering what the pros and cons are about these dogs. Good with kids? other dogs? digging? and whatever else.

My wife saw one the other day and has fallen in love with them. She is on me to find one. Just wanted to see what the experts have to say......

Posted By: Zack

Re: Pros and cons on owning a blood hound? - 07/19/09 12:01 AM

They are a slave to their nose. They generally don't care about alot other than smelling stuff.

Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Pros and cons on owning a blood hound? - 07/19/09 12:45 AM

I owned only one registered bloodhound and a few crosses with other hound breeds. If you live in the city, forget it. They can be loud and need room to roam.
As a rule, they are extremely docile but not good with small children as they can send them flying without meaning to. I have seen a few (perhaps the way they were raised) that were very aggressive guard dogs. A friend of mine was the dog man for Texas Dept. of Corrections many years ago and some of the track dogs they used would put the "runners" in trees and keep them there until the guards could arrive on horseback.
One thing for sure, your kids will never be able to hide from you.
Adios,
Gary

Posted By: scooter79

Re: Pros and cons on owning a blood hound? - 07/21/09 01:02 AM

yeast infetions in the ears and in the skin folds

Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: Pros and cons on owning a blood hound? - 07/21/09 11:41 PM

In-laws have one and are having problems. Like mentioned above once the nose gets going there's no calling them back. Apparently they are slow learners and hard to house break. He did the research after the purchase.

Re: Pros and cons on owning a blood hound? - 07/22/09 01:59 AM

LOL.... I am trying to do that BEFORE the purchase

Posted By: cajundave

Re: Pros and cons on owning a blood hound? - 07/24/09 05:31 AM

Get and big truck and you can looke like the Snowman!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJbErRI25ig&feature=related

Posted By: DoubleB20

Re: Pros and cons on owning a blood hound? - 07/24/09 04:09 PM

Come play with one of these in person and you won't go home empty handed...

My dad used to run coon dogs and as someone said, noisy and rough. It's in their nature to smell and bark, and bark.

Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Pros and cons on owning a blood hound? - 07/25/09 02:25 AM

Loud, obnoxious, incessant howling. Do everyone a favor and pick another breed.

Re: Pros and cons on owning a blood hound? - 07/25/09 04:51 PM

LOL. Ok guys thanks!!!! Any suggestions?

Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: Pros and cons on owning a blood hound? - 07/26/09 02:58 AM

ive always wondered what they would be like for hog dogs....

Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Pros and cons on owning a blood hound? - 07/26/09 05:05 AM

Brittany or Lab. Both great dogs. Good family pets, also great atheletes and hunters.

Posted By: DoubleB20

Re: Pros and cons on owning a blood hound? - 07/26/09 06:21 AM

Vizsla! Vizsla! Vizsla! I've got puppies looking for homes now. Great hunting dogs and better family dogs.

Posted By: Angie B

Re: Pros and cons on owning a blood hound? - 07/26/09 06:26 AM

Your wife see's one and now it could be a good idea???

You've got to be kidding me????

My husband see's a lot of things he would like.. Many aren't worth discussing much less posting on a hunting forum....;)

Angie

Posted By: mboswell

Re: Pros and cons on owning a blood hound? - 07/26/09 11:32 PM

Hey Frisbie how you doing ?
I have 2 bloodhounds her ein Childress, both are great dogs.
Cooter came from a kennel in Chico called the Blue Moon pet Resort.
Guy's name is Walt Partain, he raises them for people allover the world, and he is a rescue shelter for them that are abandoned or gave up.
Rosco I got when I was working on the border and some guy there was just letting him run all over town.
Anyway, they aren't hard to house break, get them a metal travel kenal or plastic, and let that be there safe place in the house, they don't wanna go where they sleep.
May be some problems if it's a pup, but generaly they learn quick to go outside.
As far as the yeast infections in the folds of their skin and ears, I have never had that problem with mine and they are outside in the dirt and whatever all the time.
Usualy a wet washcloth to the ears and folds will do the trick.
Yes they will follow their nose, mine would get out of the yard for anywhere from 1 day to 5 days and then come dragging their tails into the yard, haven't done it now for over a year.
Never had a problem with them digging anymore than any other dog I've had.
Yes they can be food and play toy aggresive, so I feed mine away from each other.
If they hear my truck keys they go nuts and will do there best to push out the gate for a ride.
Yes they can be clumsy and can knock even a full grown person down by running into them, just like any other big breed dog.
Mine will for sure let me know when anyone who isn't a regular out here south of town at my house comes up.
Usually feed them 2 cups of food 2 times a day, maybe a little less with the weather being hot and them being big sleepers.
Mine love to be on the leash and even better when I put them on a harness.
Very easy to keep groomed, and clean, just a good brush or metal type deshedder, they love that.
Anyway hope this helps, call if you want for more info 940-585-9090.

BOS

Re: Pros and cons on owning a blood hound? - 07/27/09 04:03 AM

Quote:

They are a slave to their nose. They generally don't care about alot other than smelling stuff.

Or drooling over everything.... We board more then a few...

Also they poop bigger then a cow... *eesh*

Angie

Posted By: mboswell

Re: Pros and cons on owning a blood hound? - 07/27/09 05:05 AM

Hey Angie I forgot about that part.
I have to do POO patrol pretty regular or it gets out of hand.
Yeah Cooter and Rosco can sling the slobber, get some good distance on it sometimes.
But whenever I load them up for a trip into town, they are the biggest hams you ever saw, have had people take pics and pet them, Cooter even made it in the paper here once.
Good dogs, just be ready for the slobber.
BOS

Re: Pros and cons on owning a blood hound? - 07/27/09 05:50 AM

I'd rather have a giant mastiff personally....

They slobber, and poop like a blood hound but they're very regal and serene. Plus they don't stink like a blood hound. Man they smell worse then a chessie....... LOL

Angie

Posted By: CTK3

Re: Pros and cons on owning a blood hound? - 07/29/09 07:20 AM

Remember the movie dumb and dumber.....when jim carrey did the most annoying sound in the world?

He got it wrong, it's a bloodhounds howl.

Posted By: james77351

Re: Pros and cons on owning a blood hound? - 07/30/09 07:27 AM

i have a red bone and a black and tan i have a 2 labs and a German Shepard the 2 hounds. thay are all great with my 18 month old girl but the 2 hounds love her she goes they go always together

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum