Texas Hunting Forum

Lab is a HOG DOG!!

Posted By: atascosa_red

Lab is a HOG DOG!! - 05/26/09 06:27 PM

Was at my mom and dad's house near Seguin, Texas this weekend. They have 10 acres with houses on one side and thicket on two sides, County road on the front. Coco, the chocolate lab, was outside in the fenced off back yard but she was getting restless so I went outside and let her out of the back yard and let her run around a little bit. We walked over to one of the sides that had the thicket and found that there were cows back in the brush. She saw them, took off after them (I thought) and much to my surprise, about 10-12 hogs came running out of the brush and she tore out after them. The hogs started running everywhere and Coco was on their tails. Called her back due to her being way out numbered. However, I do believe, she would have held her own. The hogs ranged from around 40-60 pounds. Pretty exciting.......

Posted By: Chet

Re: Lab is a HOG DOG!! - 05/27/09 05:01 AM

Even a 40lb hog has a couple of razors in it's chops. I've seen several dogs tore up pretty bad, if it was me I'd break the dog from chaseing them.

I've got a 9 year old pointer that killed a couple of piglets and every time she's gone for a while I worry about her.

Posted By: Exbellicus

Re: Lab is a HOG DOG!! - 05/28/09 12:15 AM

I'm with Chet, you may have saved her from a world of hurt

Posted By: youngsouthtexashunter

Re: Lab is a HOG DOG!! - 06/02/09 05:27 AM

if you are in seguin watch out for javelinas. i have a bunch in karnes city

Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: Lab is a HOG DOG!! - 06/02/09 08:45 AM

my labs have lattched on to some hogs out at my house, but they dont have the stick to will like the other breeds.
Its not to say that a lab cant be a hog dog, but they just dont have the will to stay with an animal like leapord dogs, and currs and pits do. one of our old hog dogs was a lab crossed with a leapord, she was a good strike dog, but that was about it. she also listend way better than the others!

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum