Texas Hunting Forum

An odd incident

Posted By: Pointer

An odd incident - 07/01/16 01:50 PM

What, if anything, would you infer from a well socialized dog who has been around a ton of people and never made a peep, when it suddenly starts barking when a person she had never seen before showed up at the kennel? She didn't try to bite, but obviously was uncomfortable around this person.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: An odd incident - 07/01/16 02:02 PM

Muffin does that out of excitement.

Posted By: Cast

Re: An odd incident - 07/01/16 02:04 PM

If my dog don't like you...
Posted By: kindall

Re: An odd incident - 07/01/16 02:41 PM

If she only does it to one person, I'd be leery of that persons intentions.
Posted By: RayB

Re: An odd incident - 07/01/16 03:09 PM

Do you have feelings for that person? Could be jealousy,
Posted By: Pointer

Re: An odd incident - 07/01/16 04:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Barny Topwater

Uh, No. I was cleaning the kennels and feeding, and my son came back to help. It was his male friend I had never met.

Cast and Kindall, my feelings perzactly.
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: An odd incident - 07/01/16 04:13 PM

Trust your dog!
Posted By: hunting_guy

Re: An odd incident - 07/01/16 04:13 PM

My dogs have two different barks, an excited happy one and an alarm one. It's pretty easy to tell the difference. I've also found they are extremely good at judging a person's character/intentions.
Posted By: RayB

Re: An odd incident - 07/01/16 06:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Pointer
Originally Posted By: Barny Topwater

Uh, No. I was cleaning the kennels and feeding, and my son came back to help. It was his male friend I had never met.

Cast and Kindall, my feelings perzactly.

Sorry Bud, but you didn't mention gender of the visitor. I'm with them, trust the pooch.
Posted By: First_Chance

Re: An odd incident - 07/01/16 07:39 PM

It can be many things but 99.9% of the time it going to be scent related. Either the kid has a dog that your dog smelled on him, the kid is giving off weird pheromones of being scared or nervous or something like that, or just territorial behavior because you and your son were close with this new person approaching.

my wife had a cat when we first got married and it was a ok cat... not a real snuggly type or anything, but well behaved. We got a call once that we had won a trip to Las Vegas to use a time share and this guy came over to talk to us about it and when we wanted to schedule it. he came in and sat on the couch and our cat came up behind him and walked around him, jumped up on the arm of the couch and bit that tar out of his arm. Very uncomfortable situation...! well we told the guy we would think about it and get back with him. Funny thing was, neither my wife or I could remember any kind of contest we had entered to win anything so we sort of blew it off. about three weeks later we found out that another unit in our town home area had been robbed when the couple when on a trip they won, just like whet this guy was pushing. We told the cops and they interviewed us and all, but they said this was a pretty common scam at the time.

bottom line was that cat knew something was up!!!
Posted By: MS1454

Re: An odd incident - 07/01/16 11:22 PM

Haha. Great story first chance
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: An odd incident - 07/03/16 04:20 PM

My Vizsla is one of the friendliest dogs would ever meet. On a goose hunt I watched one of my hunting partners walk up to my dog to pet him and I could tell by the way my dog was reacting that if he touched my dog, he was going to get bit or worse. I warned my friend and inquired. Turned out he had been deer hunting and there was some sort of deer tarsal or estrus scent on his cloths. I also had previously done some deer avoidance training with my dog as well. Once he was in different cloths after the hunt, my dog was friendly with him again. My dog had never been that way with anyone before or since.
Posted By: rex47

Re: An odd incident - 07/19/16 02:18 PM

I have a 11 lb cairn terrier that has never meet a person he didn't like. he has always been a great rat dog,BUT this year he has taken up ridding the back yard of "possums" twice he has gone under the wood deck and drug out grow ones and killed them. a grown possum is as big as he is.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum